Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^LOL!

Also, I always suspected…:

Someone ran the numbers and it turns out the deadliest fictional place in the world is Cabot Cove Maine, home town of one Jessica Fletcher (played by Angela Lansbury) in Murder, She Wrote, which has 149 murders for every 100,000 people.

They figured out that in 264 episodes of Murder, She Wrote, there were 274 murders in Cabot Cove, despite having a population of only 3500 people.
    I call foul. Has to be either Marvel or DC's New York, Metropolis, or Gotham City. Mass destruction in all those cities on a regular basis.

They use to use dried corn cobs as insulation.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I call foul. Has to be either Marvel or DC's New York, Metropolis, or Gotham City. Mass destruction in all those cities on a regular basis.
    ^^^Its all about the ratio though.

The oceanic pole of inaccessibility, also known as Point Nemo, is located at roughly 48°52.6′S 123°23.6′W[19] and is the place in the ocean that is farthest from any land.

It lies in the South Pacific Ocean, and is equally distant from the three closest land vertices which are each roughly 2,688 km (1,670 mi) away.

Point Nemo is so remote from an inhabited area—sometimes the closest human beings are astronauts aboard the International Space Station when it passes overhead.

Fantastic Member

^^^Its all about the ratio though.
    I am kind of surprised Mavel or DC has never completely wiped a town or city off the map.

If you hit 99 on a microwave it turns on for 99 seconds. If you hit 100 it will turn on for 60 seconds. This blew my mind.
    Last edited by Jimbi; 05-07-2024 at 06:26 PM.

In the 1930s and 1940s, they would burn their trash to fertilize gardens with the ashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbi View Post
    I am kind of surprised Mavel or DC has never completely wiped a town or city off the map.

If you hit 99 on a microwave it turns on for 99 seconds. If you hit 100 it will turn on for 60 seconds. This blew my mind.
    DC Comics did it to Coast City…

…and Bludhaven.

Marvel had the infamous Stamford incident, which wasn’t as large scale but had huge repercussions.

I just tried the microwave thing, that was neat!

Extraordinary Member

IIRC, Taffy 3 was the biggest underdog war victory in modern American history. It should be a movie. There's a book about it; "The Last Stand Of The Tin Can Sailors", IIRC.
    Last edited by achilles; 05-08-2024 at 06:46 AM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    In the 1930s and 1940s, they would burn their trash to fertilize gardens with the ashes.
    That was one of the reasons Los Angeles had such fearsome smog in the 1970s.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbi View Post
    X-Men 150: Magneto erupted a volcano in the middle of a Russian city in retaliation against a missile attack by one of their subs (which he also promptly sank).

Mighty Member

Ages ago, I heard a commercial jingle on TV. It was a bouncy tune that I liked and remembered. I thought it was called "Springtime Ladies". Recently I found out it was actually "Sweet Cream Ladies" by The Box Tops and it's about Hookers! The company (Sara Lee) made a big, big mistake using that song. It was pulled when they finally found out the song's real meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    That was one of the reasons Los Angeles had such fearsome smog in the 1970s.
    When the city proposed a ban on the backyard incinerators used in this, because it was the first step in combatting the smog, the opposition was vocal about not being able to save money using the incinerators, chiefly because a new fee was needed to pay for garbage collection.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    Ages ago, I heard a commercial jingle on TV. It was a bouncy tune that I liked and remembered. I thought it was called "Springtime Ladies". Recently I found out it was actually "Sweet Cream Ladies" by The Box Tops and it's about Hookers! The company (Sara Lee) made a big, big mistake using that song. It was pulled when they finally found out the song's real meaning.
    ^^^Thats effing funny!

Fantastic Member

DC Comics did it to Coast City…

…and Bludhaven.

Marvel had the infamous Stamford incident, which wasn’t as large scale but had huge repercussions.

I just tried the microwave thing, that was neat!
    Wow! I didn't know that!

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    Reminds me of when McDonald's completely misunderstood modern slang and ran this advertisement.