Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Anyone ever watch an old cartoon, movie or tv show and someone says “Holy Toledo”?

I finally found out where that comes from.

In the 20s and 30s, Toledo was a sanctuary for gangsters.

The gangsters made an agreement with the police that if the police would leave them alone, they would leave Toledo alone.

Since this provided a sanctuary, the gangsters called the city “Holy Toledo.”

And well, it caught on.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Anyone ever watch an old cartoon, movie or tv show and someone says “Holy Toledo”?

The gangsters made an agreement with the police that if the police would leave them alone, they would leave Toledo alone.

And well, it caught on.
    Cool! I did not know that, thanks for that little bit of enlightenment. I had wondered about that upon occasion.

And well, it caught on.
    Wow. I thought it was Toledo in Spain.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Boisterously Confused

And well, it caught on.
    Fascinating!

Hot Springs, AR had a similar rep. It was an open city among mobsters, and more a resort than anybody's turf. Gambling and booze were illegal, yet rampant. Most other crime was at a zero.

The town was dominated by an ex-pat British gangster living in genteel retirement who had brokered the peace. Any hood coming to Hot Springs had to visit him first, to have it explained that nobody would be allowed mess up the good thing they had going.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Fascinating!

Hot Springs, AR had a similar rep. It was an open city among mobsters, and more a resort than anybody's turf. Gambling and booze were illegal, yet rampant. Most other crime was at a zero.

The town was dominated by an ex-pat British gangster living in genteel retirement who had brokered the peace. Any hood coming to Hot Springs had to visit him first, to have it explained that nobody would be allowed mess up the good thing they had going.
    ^^^This should sooo be a movie!

Astonishing Member

^^^This should sooo be a movie!
    There was in fact a 1955 movie that was based on the true story of Phenix City, AL, a similar southern town that was run by organized crime. You can read about the movie (and the actual historical story) here.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    There was in fact a 1955 movie that was based on the true story of Phenix City, AL, a similar southern town that was run by organized crime. You can read about the movie (and the actual historical story) here.
    I have seen that film quite a few times and highly recommend it.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I have seen that film quite a few times and highly recommend it.
    ^^^I love old movies like this, thanks!

Egging someone on has nothing to do w. eggs.

The term comes from the old Norse verb eggede which means to incite or provoke.

The verb appeared in English around 1200 and the first appearance of the idiom itself was around the mid 1500's.

Boisterously Confused

I've never seen the film, but have heard the story. If memory serves, it was one of the few times the US had to send military forces to bust up what was, in essence, an equivalent to the gangs running today's Haiti.

I always thought the word sheriff came from the Arabic sharif.

I guess not!

In Anglo-Saxon England, a “reeve” was an officer who was appointed by the king to be responsible for the public business of the locality. A high–ranking official, the “shire–reeve” (the precursor to the modern sheriff) was the representative of the royal authority in a “shire” or “county”.

The shire–reeve and his hundreds (deputies) wore a plate in the shape of a five, six, or seven point star made of brass, metal, or any other material that could be highly polished and visible by moonlight. This allowed them to identify each other, and over time, they began to put markings and insignias on the plates.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Kind of on the morbid side but recently I found out the song "I don't like Mondays" was based off of a shooting where the reason was that the kid didn't like Mondays from a YT video. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Kind of on the morbid side but recently I found out the song "I don't like Mondays" was based off of a shooting where the reason was that the kid didn't like Mondays from a YT video. :-/
    ^^^yeah, that’s pretty grim.

There have only been two players in MLB history with the last name Moyer.

Ed Moyer and Jamie Moyer.

Ed Moyer died on November 18th, 1962.
    Jamie Moyer was born on November 18th, 1962.

They aren’t related to each other.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

There have only been two players in MLB history with the last name Moyer.

Ed Moyer and Jamie Moyer.

Ed Moyer died on November 18th, 1962.
    Jamie Moyer was born on November 18th, 1962.

They aren’t related to each other.
    That is one hell of a coincidence. Also, as someone who has a whole bookcase full of baseball books, it's the first time I ever heard of that. Nice bit of trivia there!
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?