Extraordinary Member

Default Shazam! #11 Preview

Shazam! #11 Preview
    Writer: Josie Campbell
    Artist: Emanuela Lupacchino

Ugh, we've had that plot twist before.
    spoilers:
    Billy's Mom turns up. Just like his Dad did once.
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Ugh, we've had that plot twist before.
    spoilers:
    Billy's Mom turns up. Just like his Dad did once.
    end of spoilers
    Haven’t read it yet.
    How does she look?
    Milfy? lol.
    Or haggard?
    Looking like Mary, maybe?

Bleeding Cool posted about it.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Bleeding Cool posted about it.
    I saw it.
    She doesn’t look like Mary. So the twins thing is definitely no longer existing.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

So this explains the Captain's actions and makes them a lot more understandable.

He most likely felt that not knowing about the letters was better for Billy so he doesn't get his heart broken again by the possibility of his mother coming back only to be disappointed by her again.

He probably didn't expect for her to ever clean herself up. Seeing how terrible she was back then and the decision to abandon her child, its a reasonable guess that that type of parent wouldn't ever come back into their child's life.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 05-08-2024 at 11:11 PM.

Mighty Member

Yeah, that was a nice surprise. I was expecting the Captain to be a bit more sinister than that.

Good issue, overall. I liked the shenanigans going around between the CPS visit and the Jeepers fight. Speaking of, cool to see more obscure Captain Marvel/Shazam villains in general. Also like Tawky Tawny's very brief appearance.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I saw it.
    She doesn’t look like Mary. So the twins thing is definitely no longer existing.
    They're certainly not twins - Mary is 18 and Billy isn't - but it is still possible for a blood relationship to be restored. What if Mrs Batson had previously given up another child (and the letters might have mentioned that), a baby girl who got adopted. Hence why Mary's surname is Bromfield instead of Batson. It would be easy to say that the Bromfields were in fact a previous adoptive family, not her biological one, who gave her up when she ran away. Mary's looks could come from her father, who wouldn't be the same person as Billy's father CC Batson, who we saw in the Seven Magic Lands storyline by Geoff Johns. That would make Mary Billy's older half-sister. The closest they can get to the original twin relationship without a full reboot, I think.

Here's a random thought. Why doesn't Mary who is now powered by her own gods, share her power with the rest of the family?

I assume she can't? I doubt that she hasn't tried.

Incredible Member

Liked this issue, but it seems that we're still trying to find a "voice" for this comic. But, I will give JC the benefit of a doubt for now.