Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Free Comic Book Day: Uncanny X-Men

I wanted to review this as the first glimpse of the new era.

I suspect people's reactions will be divided based on how they feel about the Krakoa Era. It was a very traditional X-Men story set in a world that hates and fears them, rather than one where they have a nation state of their own, though it's also very clear they will not be going back to the mansion. I can see some people feeling it is a reset to a regressive status quo, while others embracing it as a return to the X-Men they love. I am in the latter camp.

The story opens with Jubilee watching outside the mansion, which has become a restricted area. She is reflecting on what she and the team have lost. Inside, Dr. Corina Ellis is appropriating it as her headquarters, and turning the glorious mahogany office into an IKEA showroom.

Jubilee rides away on her motorbike, and is almost run over by some hateful assholes, who swerve to try and hit her, and then call her almost every hateful name except for "mutie." She follows them to a diner, where she is a little too insistent that she isn't going to make a scene.

The owner of the diner greets her and tells her to sit wherever. Meanwhile, the assholes are harassing the owner's daughter, Uva, who is an obvious mutant with zebra-like features. The owner apologizes to the assholes and Jubilee, and says she just has a skin condition. Jubilee is not pleased with this.

When the daughter turns to look at her, Jubilee flashes her the mutant hand signal. She returns it. Jubilee finds an excuse to get her mother out of the dining room, and then tells Uva she can get her someone safe. Uva says she can't do that to her mother, and Jubilee is devastated by her loyalty to a woman who isn't loyal back to her.

At this point, the assholes start harassing Uva, and Jubilee sprays them with the water from the sink. They chase her out the diner, and she trashed their car, setting it alright in the shape of an X. She ends by calling Logan, and having him tell Rogue that she's in.

The story ends back with Dr Ellis. She has two prisoners. One is Siryn, who is strait-jacketed and gagged. (ETA: my tired self thought it was Hope at first despite the very obvious nametag). The other is an unnamed Inmate X, who is locked in a high security vault, and needs to get adjusted to the idea that he's never leaving again.

Like I say, it is a traditional X-Men story, but it is extremely well-executed. As expected, Simone has a good grasp of the characters and their voices, and writes a compelling Jubilee. I loved the brief reference to Shogo too! I hope he comes back from Otherworld at some point!

I found her take on the mutant metaphor genuinely moving too. I'm the mom of a Deaf kid, and I never want to apologize for him. The mutant hand signal reminded me a little of ASL, and how it is used to form community. I appreciate how it seems disability may become more part of the mutant metaphor again, especially through her introduction of Phillip/Scurvy.

I also am intrigued to see who Inmate X will turn out to be. It has to be an Omega, based on the level of security. I'm trying to think who isn't accounted for at the moment.

And Marquez's art is expectedly stunning. He nails both the soft, internal character moments and the action scenes. His close-ups on Jubilee's face and the emotions she's feeling are a highlight for me.

In sum, I loved it and August can't come fast enough for me, but I know there will be a large contingent of fans who don't feel that way. I hope they give it a chance!
    Last edited by DearMachine; 05-04-2024 at 10:17 AM.