Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

We're finally seeing the fallout of Xavier choosing to prioritize mutants over humans. On the human side of things they'll turn more anti-mutant than ever before. This is no longer a case of people worrying about mutants potentially replacing humanity in the future. The mutants are a threat to them now. Mutants going around blowing things up or flying through buildings? That's scary on TV but it's also not something the average Marvel civilian would not worry too much about out in the suburbs. Finding out their leader can actually reach into the heads of anyone he wants and does so with world leaders as we've seen in Rise of the Powers of X? Now it's directly their problem. Considering Arrako has absolutely nothing to do with this event so far, there is potential that it is still around in this new era, so now normal civilians will think "Well why don't those mutants go live on Mars?" They'll see relocating mutants as the "humane" solution as opposed to leaving them on Earth where they are a potential threat to themselves.

Meanwhile let's consider what the X-Men are thinking. Xavier's move pissed off practically all of his students. We already have Kitty talking about how she's quitting after they're done with Orchis. She's likely not alone, which is why we'll have these separate teams. Cyclops will lead a team of mutants who'll decide the X-Men are still needed, while others like Rogue's team will temporarily give up on the X-Men team before deciding to reform under a new banner.

Fantastic Member

it's nice they remembered Siryn exists as I can't remember her doing anything at all in the Krakoa era.

but of course she's captured ....

There’s absolutely no way that diner would have boba.

Astonishing Member

I mentioned this on twitter the other day as an LOL, but the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that Inmate X might actually be Bobby. If Orchis or some other agency had captured him while he was still recovering from surviving being nuked in Antarctica, and having trouble putting himself back together all the way or consistently, that could explain where he's been all this time and the effort put into containing that prisoner could easily match the lengths needed to ensure he's got no way of getting free on his own - especially since Bobby's been shown resistant to power dampening tech in the past. Add to that the rumors that Bobby & Monet might end up on Gail's team, especially with her saying her unnamed team members are big guns/heavyweights, and I could definitely see an early story-arc in Uncanny where some of Bobby's closest X-friends, Rogue, Logan and Jubilee, lead the charge to free him from being imprisoned in what's practically his childhood home (albeit after being rebuilt for the umpteenth time since then).

There's still a chance he's on the lineup for the as yet unannounced X-Factor book, but if we get details on that in the next couple weeks and he's not shown there, I'd be willing to bet this is where he's been and why he missed the rest of Fall of X. If so, that's actually pretty intriguing to me. I've often said that one of the biggest hurdles to getting readers invested in Bobby is he's not commonly centered as a character the rest of the characters are shown worrying about or in need of help, etc, so why should readers? Him as the imprisoned mutant in need of rescue from his friends - who might not even know he's in need of it - is a pretty new and very interesting beat for him, especially if its not like it involves nerfing him or disregarding his ability to fend for himself....since obviously they're sparing no expense in ensuring he can't get free on his own. And the Uncanny team setting him and the other mutant prisoners held there free could be a big morale coup for mutantkind in general, since he IS one of mutantkind's biggest guns these days, and as one of the only omegas unaccounted for during the Fall of X finale, X-Men rescuing from the captors who kept him from being there to help and now having him back in the fight would be a Big Deal.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

And when Jubilee is gone, the guys burn down the diner (or worse). Ba dum bump.

Depressing to think about Siryn trapped like that for an extended period of time, straitjacket, fed by tubes (I assume). Weird they have to do all that considering how easy it is to make power dampening tech.

Pretty good little preview to the next era. Some of the dialogue felt odd but not as bad as Duggan on Iron Man or X-Men this week. Art was very good and I like that Jubes is a bit of a bad ass in this.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whim View Post
    it's nice they remembered Siryn exists as I can't remember her doing anything at all in the Krakoa era.

She was a member of X-factor after the team found out who killed her before they resurrected her
    X-Men Forever

Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    If it helps, I don't think this brief story suggested that direction for the book. If anything, Jubilee goes out of her way to get revenge on the bigots for what they do, and attempts to remove Uva from a situation where she isn't valued. The major image is Jubilee burning an X onto their car. So, I don't think it's going to be the X-Men save a world that hates and fears them, at least not in any straight forward way. From the admittedly very short story, it feels like they are going to try and create community in the face of oppression, and look out for other mutants.

Of course, we will have to see what Rogue's vision is. I can see her as potentially being more centrist thanks to the Avengers connection.
    I also assume it'll have fun moments and humor, because Gail Simone.

Quote Originally Posted by Whim View Post

Siryn had the Morrigan thing going on over in the most recent X-Factor.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    There’s absolutely no way that diner would have boba.
    Literally the thing that stuck out most to me in the issue lol. It seemed like a “you know that young people like this thing, but you don’t actually know anything about it,” moment. Obviously not a big deal, but it made me chuckle. Also who is pairing a tuna melt and boba?!? We can add impervious stomach to Jubilee’s powerset.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    If it helps, I don't think this brief story suggested that direction for the book. If anything, Jubilee goes out of her way to get revenge on the bigots for what they do, and attempts to remove Uva from a situation where she isn't valued. The major image is Jubilee burning an X onto their car. So, I don't think it's going to be the X-Men save a world that hates and fears them, at least not in any straight forward way. From the admittedly very short story, it feels like they are going to try and create community in the face of oppression, and look out for other mutants.

Of course, we will have to see what Rogue's vision is. I can see her as potentially being more centrist thanks to the Avengers connection.
    I get that, regarding the story. They're fighting back...in their own way. I was speaking in more general terms of the state of the franchise.

Kudos to Brevoort and Co. if they focus more on the heroism/saving mutants and far less on the fear and hatred going forward but...from his articles and interviews that doesn't seem to be the case. The F+H is clearly very prevalent (for obvious Krakoa/Orchis fallout reasons) just not the major driving plot of the mutant story as it has been for the past three/four eras.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Literally the thing that stuck out most to me in the issue lol. It seemed like a “you know that young people like this thing, but you don’t actually know anything about it,” moment. Obviously not a big deal, but it made me chuckle. Also who is pairing a tuna melt and boba?!? We can add impervious stomach to Jubilee’s powerset.
    Right. Even if the diner had boba — which, it really wouldn’t have — The reaction the diner’s owner had to Jubilee ordering ice cream a couple pages later should’ve been how she responded to the boba order.

I have no idea why people are so into this, this is just eh to me, and not getting me invested in this world, bringing mutants back to their lowest after their high feels like a big regression, part of me is rooting for this status quo to be temp or flop but we know Marvel will just pump up the numbers with variant covers.

I'm out of the X-Men for the first time since the Age of X era not just 6 years ago.

I want to like this story. I want to like the new era... it just feels like we could give mutants as a whole a safe space (like krokoa with some changes) and still have this story with slightly less gloom... like where is Jubs going to send this new mutant that is safe?

I want the X titles to focus more in America... I want the mutants to have a nation, I want mutants to disagree to the point of there being diffrent groups (some hero some villain some anti hero) but I don't want to go back to stupid "Make it the worst 1950s prejudice but cartoony turned upto 11.

And what did Blob and Syren do to get locked up?
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

I loved it.