Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Is professor x a villain now?

I haven't kept up with the x books as of late but I've heard professor x is a villain now and so is Beast? Can someone explain?

Dark Lord of the Sith Darth_Caedus's Avatar

Both Chuck and Hank are Saturday morning mustache twirling cartoon villains now. Basically he makes a deal with the Machines to exterminate humanity

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Caedus View Post
    Both Chuck and Hank are Saturday morning mustache twirling cartoon villains now. Basically he makes a deal with the Machines to exterminate humanity
    Wasn't Cyclops a villain for awhile to?

Dark Lord of the Sith Darth_Caedus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Wasn't Cyclops a villain for awhile to?
    Cyclops was never a mustache twirling villain. He was a sympathetic Fallen hero who ended up being right in the end despite all the destruction he caused. Hank and Chuck's villainy doesn't make any sense

Beast's evolution over several years (arguingly from even before Morrison) took him dark paths culminating in being a violent almost perverse director of mutant CIA. His depiction in the latest volume of X-force was indeed very villainous. That character died and another Beast was ressurected, with no memory since he was with the Avengers I believe. Current Beast hasn't gon through the villain path.

Xavier seemingly sided with the machines against humanity to protect mutants, in the last crossover. It seems to be part of a larger plan of which we don't have all he elements yet so we'll see.

Astonishing Member

Don't have the details of the current story. But honestly, I think if you look at Xavier not as a 'superhero' or 'superhero leader' but as a political leader, then the 'hero'/'villain' labels are a lot harder to apply.

Its the same with any of the other major X-men characters in leadership positions - Cyclops, Magneto etc.

These are people trying to preserve their race in a hostile world, and trying to determine what kind of future their race can make in such a world and what means will need to be employed. 'Good' and 'evil' in the classic superhero sense seldom comes into it.

That's of course if you use the political allegory framing of the franchise. If you use the superhero framing, then yeah, he's probably a hero gone too far, or a hero gone bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Beast's evolution over several years (arguingly from even before Morrison) took him dark paths culminating in being a violent almost perverse director of mutant CIA. His depiction in the latest volume of X-force was indeed very villainous. That character died and another Beast was ressurected, with no memory since he was with the Avengers I believe. Current Beast hasn't gon through the villain path.

Xavier seemingly sided with the machines against humanity to protect mutants, in the last crossover. It seems to be part of a larger plan of which we don't have all he elements yet so we'll see.
    Well put. Xavier's master plan seems to be buying time for mutants so Phoenix can be resurrected to stop Enigma.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I haven't kept up with the x books as of late but I've heard professor x is a villain now and so is Beast? Can someone explain?
    The version of Beast that become a disgusting murderous villain is dead. He has been replaced now by a clone who's memories only went up to when he was in the Defenders. So basically the classic Beast is back in place and is going to be in the new X-Men book led by Cyclops. The story about Professor X is still happening but it does look he has indeed betrayed the X-Men.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    The version of Beast that become a disgusting murderous villain is dead. He has been replaced now by a clone who's memories only went up to when he was in the Defenders. So basically the classic Beast is back in place and is going to be in the new X-Men book led by Cyclops. The story about Professor X is still happening but it does look he has indeed betrayed the X-Men.
    But does Defenders Beast have all the memories of his time displaced teen self who went to the future (our recent past, before Krakoa age)?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    But does Defenders Beast have all the memories of his time displaced teen self who went to the future (our recent past, before Krakoa age)?
    I would think he should. I don't know for sure though because I dropped X-Force when it became clear that the just rehashing the evil Beast thing over and over. But maybe not because didn't they have their memories get erased when they went back? IDK. I'm just happy that he's not the ridiculous evil terrorist version. Hopefully he'll be portrayed more like how he was during his Avenger days moving forward.
    Last edited by M@Bowers2014; 05-06-2024 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Criticalfan View Post
    I'm not far off from that assessment myself.

Whaddya mean "now"?

How many dead astronauts are clogging up the space lanes now?
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Criticalfan View Post
    I was gonna post that!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    I would think he should. I don't know for sure though because I dropped X-Force when it became clear that the just rehashing the evil Beast thing over and over. But maybe not because didn't they have their memories get erased when they went back? IDK. I'm just happy that he's not the ridiculous evil terrorist version. Hopefully he'll be portrayed more like how he was during his Avenger days moving forward.
    I’ll miss the 80s to year 2000 Beast (up until Cat Beast).
    But I do recognize a lot of his problems started during that period (Guilt and anger not being able to solve the Legacy virus), dealing with Dark Beast, the high and lows of being with Trish Tilby.

The sad thing is, Hank is no longer the oldest original X-Man. Even Bobby should be older than Defenders Beast now.
    Indeed, of the veteran X-Men, he should be one of the mid to younger members now. Closer to Rogue, than Scott.

What are the villain things X has done in the comics so far I haven't read any of it.