Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Yeah but from what I understand the robots don't know about Enigma yet or do they ?
    I don't think they know, but once they ascend their will is subservient to the will of the Dominion that absorbs them, so it still makes Xavier's choice weird.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Til View Post
    No, Xavier is not a villain. He "joined" Orchis to buy time for the Phoenix to be resurrected and kill Enigma. It's abundantly clear that he hates everything he's doing in the meantime. This was pretty obvious in Gillen's books, so I'm not sure why people are saying he's just a straight up supervillain trying to wipe out humanity. That's simply not true.
    I don't think it is so much that he is villain is that the fans got what they wanted - a villain. They will never accept him as a hero. People started disliking Xavier as far back as the 90's for supposedly holding back the X-Men before he became a villain. Many people will not accept him no matter what he does. Maybe it's just a hatred of authority. I don't know but his character assassination has been sickening and any writers telling him off through characters during some eras obviously did not read those comics and most likely just came from word of mouth of the haters. I already pointed out in another thread what the writers got wrong so I won't here.

They should have thrown out the Professor from his own home and took it over long ago. Kidding aside, lets be honest, if it wasn't for him some mutants would be dead. No matter what he's doing now.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 05-08-2024 at 12:14 AM.

I was mostly s***posting & being contrarian with my astronaut meme but the "Xavier as villain the whole time" theory (which has actual adherents) seems to bring up at least three points each time it resurfaces:
    1) Xavier was gathering & exploiting child soldiers
    2) Xavier was working with the FBI and thus was self-hating, and basically Samuel L. Jackson in "Django: Unchained"
    3) Xavier's powers are just always going to be violating, so his villainy is his fate due to bad luck in the powers lottery

Which has tiny bits of truth but is mostly a lot of hyperfocus on the bad while leaving out any good.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Criticalfan View Post
    I was mostly s***posting & being contrarian with my astronaut meme but the "Xavier as villain the whole time" theory (which has actual adherents) seems to bring up at least three points each time it resurfaces:
    1) Xavier was gathering & exploiting child soldiers
    2) Xavier was working with the FBI and thus was self-hating, and basically Samuel L. Jackson in "Django: Unchained"
    3) Xavier's powers are just always going to be violating, so his villainy is his fate due to bad luck in the powers lottery

Which has tiny bits of truth but is mostly a lot of hyperfocus on the bad while leaving out any good.
    He groomed Gabrielle Haller. Add that one.
    Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    I don't think they know, but once they ascend their will is subservient to the will of the Dominion that absorbs them, so it still makes Xavier's choice weird.
    I don't think he knew the Dominions would join Enigma. But I think he's just stalling anyways (speculating in the void here obviuously we'll have to wait anyways).

Quote Originally Posted by Til View Post
    No, Xavier is not a villain. He "joined" Orchis to buy time for the Phoenix to be resurrected and kill Enigma. It's abundantly clear that he hates everything he's doing in the meantime. This was pretty obvious in Gillen's books, so I'm not sure why people are saying he's just a straight up supervillain trying to wipe out humanity. That's simply not true.
    It is a pity there weren’t “thought bubbles” anymore as it is easier to see if there is a difference between the intentions of a characters and his/her actions…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    It is a pity there weren’t “thought bubbles” anymore as it is easier to see if there is a difference between the intentions of a characters and his/her actions…
    When Gillen did that, it was still ambiguous and much debated on this board, so...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    I don't think he knew the Dominions would join Enigma. But I think he's just stalling anyways (speculating in the void here obviuously we'll have to wait anyways).
    Probably not the fact that Dominions will join Enigma, but he knew the timeline of Stasis was collapsing before pulling Rasputin out. We clearly see he and his team can observe what is going on in different timelines in RoPX#1 even from No-Place (outside time).That means he knew the robots wanted to join a Dominion while observing the Stasis timeline. I guess we have to see how this pans out, but already his plan doesn't seem viable.

I do not blame the characters. I blame the writers and the editors.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Well put. Xavier's master plan seems to be buying time for mutants so Phoenix can be resurrected to stop Enigma.
    Stop Enigma from what, exactly? I don’t disagree with your summary. More like I don’t get what threat Enigma poses. Per the story it ascended a long time ago - or always has been now that time means nothing to it. What does it want that creates some sort of moral conflict? Have we seen it say it wants to destroy everything? As cool, and in some ways timely, as it seems it strikes me as a plot mechanism that solves an editorial problem of resetting things back to a 90s status quo.

Enigma knows and sees all and exists outside time and space - so what? So do a lot of other characters.
    Last edited by HomoSuperior; 05-09-2024 at 06:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Nycroft View Post
    Professor X is not a villain, he is however a complicated figure that has had to shoulder great responsibilities for a decade (in the comics) and also make some very tough decisions. Many of those decisions earn him hatred, ridicule, and most recently, disrespect, but that is par for the course when you are a leader of large groups. He is only a villain to villains, or to folks who never had to have any responsibility for anything before.

In terms of this tired trope in the comics, it's easier for lazy or untalented writers to fall back on it than write Xavier as the foundational character he was meant to be. He is like Reed Richards, in that he is a father who has to take care of his family, but on a much grander scale, and with bigger stakes and penalties if he fails. Until the editors at Marvel do right by Xavier, the X-Men will continue to fail.

One cool thing about Xavier being always taken off the map, is that mutants usually crash and burn the hardest and learn the hardest lessons. We see that every time they try to strike out without his guidance or presence, that hit the ground HARD!
    I don't think I've understood anything about Professor X since the Red Skull stole his brain. (Of course, I haven't read any of the X-books on a regular basis for years.) Is the current Professor X really Professor X?
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

No he is not.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Dark Lord of the Sith Darth_Caedus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    I don't think I've understood anything about Professor X since the Red Skull stole his brain. (Of course, I haven't read any of the X-books on a regular basis for years.) Is the current Professor X really Professor X?
    The current professor X was actually introduced in the fourth volume of Astonishing X-Men, he cloned a younger body for himself and took on the nickname of X, declaring that he has a new vision now.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Well put. Xavier's master plan seems to be buying time for mutants so Phoenix can be resurrected to stop Enigma.
    The ends don't justify the means though.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Caedus View Post
    The current professor X was actually introduced in the fourth volume of Astonishing X-Men, he cloned a younger body for himself and took on the nickname of X, declaring that he has a new vision now.
    So he's a clone of a clone (because, as I recall, Professor X was cloned by Lilandra's people back in the 80s (or late 70s) -- I can't tell you why.)
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.