Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    That's not fair on Storm, tbh. She didn't ignore her responsibilities; she just couldn't be in two places at once. It would have happened to anyone who had two be on both Councils, unless they were Multiple Man or Franklin Richards. And it was necessary to have someone on both Councils to try and help them work in tandem when needed. Things just fell apart because Storm could only be in one location at a time whenever disaster struck, and because she - like everyone else - was fooled by Colossus' evil brother's machinations.

I prefer Cyclops as an X-Men leader overall, but I think Storm is an excellent leader, and she was a great choice to be Regent of Sol. She showed a willingness to guide the Arakki, while also respecting and taking in their traditions. She earned their respect and had to keep earning it, through power and through following Arakki traditions. She even sacrificed some of her power to Lodus because she had to divide her attention between Earth and Arakko. So Storm was one of the best choices for this role.
    I'm reminded of this discussion about the worst thing some X-Men has done, and it mentioned that Storm has a habit of taking too much responsibilities and accidentally shirking some of them.

So it appears to be in character for her take on more than she's reasonably capable of and wind up messing up through negligence because she believes she can carry it all.

Quote Originally Posted by NearlyEnough View Post
    What he said about Storm is bs of the highest caliber, Storm has followed Scott’s lead before, the extinction team was HIS team, the person everyone thinks of when you say “X-Men leader” is Cyclops not Storm.

If she’s gonna be written like a Mary Sue I hope she doesn’t interact with the X-Men whatsoever.
    I knew this comment was coming but I didn't think it would be the first post.

I agree with Tom and it proves to me he knows the X-Men very well. Storm automatically would become the one everyone defers to.

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalChicken View Post
    I think that depends on when you started reading x-books. Storm is the real x-men leader to me, Scott a highly celebrated general. I'm not up for arguing it, because again it depends on when you entered the world of xbooks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    I think Storm is the best leader because she defeated Cyclops in battle for the team's leadership, and she didn't even have her powers. He had to leave the team because of how humiliated he felt.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealWashout View Post
    When I think of the leader of the X-men, I think of Storm because she was the leader at their most prominent in the 80's.
    100% agree. This is the only correct take. I'm expecting in the MCU that Storm will be the overall leader of the X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    In a previous poll asking if Storm can sustain a long lasting solo I said no mainly because such a thing would require a build up of supporting cast and villains from nearly the ground level and I didn't think Marvel would commit to such a plan instead of the lazy way of attaching Storm to a team to give that team a boost. Well, it appears Brevoort has other plans. If this book becomes a moderate (or higher) success than I'll happily eat my words.
    Same, I'm so glad Storm is being championed as a solo character on the same level as Spider-Man, Wolverine, Captain America, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JJS View Post
    Cyclops is a perennial loser.

Disaster of a leader, horrific husband/partner, shit father, terrible friend.

A selfish disaster of a guy.

The O5 were an absolute disaster until Claremont, Simonson, and Nocenti were ordered to bring them back into the fold. The duly made them relatively interesting; Hank in Avengers was the only one anyone could be bothered with.
    This is ignoring the fact that Jean became the X-Men's breakout character in the 70s and the most popular character. Something Tom alludes to in his comments in this thread. I don't think it's a coincidence that Claremont liked Jean and Hank the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Based on the premise of EXM I could understand why they are going with brand new mutants instead of pre-established "fan faves". The newbies don't have the training, schooling nor the close affiliation to anything XM those other characters have. They are literally blank slates in a new environment. Which, for a new writer, can be pretty exciting to write. But also free of the baggage that pre-existing characters already come with.

As with those NXM kids and Academy X Kids back then, there are a new generation of mutant teens who need guidance and care in the new Post Krakoa world.
    On the subject of Exceptional's new mutant students, here's a reminder of who the guys are. At the moment we currently got their looks and names (though not on which is which).

Their names are Bronze, Axo, and Melee.

The three books I'm most interested in are UXM, Phoenix, and Storm. All the major heavy-hitters of the X-Men are in these books between Rogue, Gambit, Jubilee, Nightcrawler, Wolverine, Phoenix, and Storm. Now we just need Iceman to join UXM as rumored.

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    I knew this comment was coming but I didn't think it would be the first post.

I agree with Tom and it proves to me he knows the X-Men very well. Storm automatically would become the one everyone defers to.
    It proves that he doesn't like Cyclops just like you, every time you talk about Scott it's to criticize him or talk about how some other character is better.

We have canon evidence that shows that Scott is the one everyone (including perfect goddess Storm) defers to, while the same is not true with Scott who has never followed Storm's lead.

If I were a mutant I'd rather trust the guy who saved the race from extinction over one of Krakoa's councilors who shared the council with genocidal maniacs, and nazis but that's just me I guess.

Other than nostalgia for Claremont's run there's no argument to say that Storm is a better leader than Scott, it's objectively not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Like me, you might be getting older, where only a handful of books speak to you and get you fired up anymore (typically involving favorite characters). But it's just enough to keep you connected to the broader X-line and the even broader Marvel Comics tapestry.

Don't want to speak for you, but this is how I've felt for some time now. So welcome to the club, my friend!
    I'm definitely in the same boat. I'm excited for 2 of the 4 of the books I plan on following but otherwise I don't give a shit anymore. Looking at the announced series so far I can easily see 3 of the series not making it pass 10 issues. It's hard to care when you don't see a third of the line making it to year 2.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    On the subject of Exceptional's new mutant students, here's a reminder of who the guys are. At the moment we currently got their looks and names (though not on which is which).

Their names are Bronze, Axo, and Melee.
    Bronze has the pink hair, Axo has the spiked shoulders, and Melee has the black bob.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by JJS View Post
    Cyclops is a perennial loser.

Disaster of a leader, horrific husband/partner, shit father, terrible friend.

A selfish disaster of a guy.

The O5 were an absolute disaster until Claremont, Simonson, and Nocenti were ordered to bring them back into the fold. The duly made them relatively interesting; Hank in Avengers was the only one anyone could be bothered with.
    Cyclops is objectively mutantkind's greatest leader, a great father and partner, and a good friend. You just hate him because he's a better character than your favorite mutant which is pretty normal but you should actually inform yourself before talking on subjects you clearly don't know much about.

It proves that he doesn't like Cyclops just like you, every time you talk about Scott it's to criticize him or talk about how some other character is better.

We have canon evidence that shows that Scott is the one everyone (including perfect goddess Storm) defers to, while the same is not true with Scott who has never followed Storm's lead.

If I were a mutant I'd rather trust the guy who saved the race from extinction over one of Krakoa's councilors who shared the council with genocidal maniacs, and nazis but that's just me I guess.

Other than nostalgia for Claremont's run there's no argument to say that Storm is a better leader than Scott, it's objectively not the case.
    He has said multiple times in the past that he sees Cyclops and Jean as the core of the team. Doesn't sound like someone who dislikes him. It's not his fault for recognizing that the X-Men were at their critical and commercial peak when Storm was in charge. Storm, like all the major female characters, were sidelined during the dark age which is why your character was allowed to reign with a free hand. It was OOC for everyone and a disaster. Thankfully nobody really reads comics anymore so those stories are already in the bin outside of these internet forums. In the days when comics were more than a niche and had wide readership, it was Storm who was synonymous as the leader of the X-Men. That golden age is here again. The original sins against Storm and Phoenix are finally being redeemed.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Bronze has the pink hair, Axo has the spiked shoulders, and Melee has the black bob.
    I like Stegman's art but I prefer Carnero's versions (which makes sense since she probably helped design them).

Cyclops is objectively mutantkind's greatest leader, a great father and partner, and a good friend. You just hate him because he's a better character than your favorite mutant which is pretty normal but you should actually inform yourself before talking on subjects you clearly don't know much about.
    How can you objectively rank that? A great father is definitely not what I would think of based on his treatment of Nathan and especially Rachel. Thankfully Rachel isn't even his daughter. And good friend to who? He alienated all his friends and many like Storm admitted they didn't even consider him a friend in the first place. If Storm cannot like you enough to befriend you, that's quite telling, wouldn't you say?

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRlrus View Post
    I like Stegman's art but I prefer Carnero's versions (which makes sense since she probably helped design them).
    They do have more panache to their designs there.

The way they are drawn in the suits makes them look pretty bland.

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    He has said multiple times in the past that he sees Cyclops and Jean as the core of the team. Doesn't sound like someone who dislikes him. It's not his fault for recognizing that the X-Men were at their critical and commercial peak when Storm was in charge. Storm, like all the major female characters, were sidelined during the dark age which is why your character was allowed to reign with a free hand. It was OOC for everyone and a disaster. Thankfully nobody really reads comics anymore so those stories are already in the bin outside of these internet forums. In the days when comics were more than a niche and had wide readership, it was Storm who was synonymous as the leader of the X-Men. That golden age is here again. The original sins against Storm and Phoenix are finally being redeemed.
    Calling the decimation era "the dark age" because your favorite character wasn't as important as you wanted her to be is cringe, the Messiah trilogy, Fraction's run, Gillen's run, etc are some of the best X-Men comics ever and the whole "Claremont's era of comics is more popular so Storm is the bestest ever" argument is beyond stupid, when you judge who's the better leader you have to see the feats and Scott is so ridiculously clear in terms of feats that this isn't a discussion worth having, you know that, and that's why every time this topic comes you all resort to saying that Storm is the best becase daddy Claremont said so lol.
    Last edited by NearlyEnough; 05-06-2024 at 04:42 PM.