Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    How can you objectively rank that? A great father is definitely not what I would think of based on his treatment of Nathan and especially Rachel. Thankfully Rachel isn't even his daughter. And good friend to who? He alienated all his friends and many like Storm admitted they didn't even consider him a friend in the first place. If Storm cannot like you enough to befriend you, that's quite telling, wouldn't you say?
    How did he treat Nathan according to you? as for Rachel, I think you're confusing him with Jean, he's always treated her well. As for his friends, they were all fake friends, all of them, his only true friends are the Champions and they seemed to like him just fine, Storm treating him horribly for years speaks badly about her, the fact that he still respected her even when she was talking about how much she wanted him dead all the time says a lot about Scott's good nature, not so much about Storm and the rest of "friends" who were quite ungrateful and unpleasant.

Honestly guys, let's just enjoy whatever books we choose to read and forget about the others.

Personally I will only be reading X-Men, don't care about the other books or the characters in it.

Jed McCay is, imo, the best writer in Marvel and his Doctor Strange is the only Marvel Comics I'm currently reading, to have him writing my favorite Marvel character is a good thing and I hope he does a good job in it.

About Brevoort opinions and views on those character, I also don't care about them unless they appear on page, I seriously doubt Jed will write a dialogue where Kwannon or Beast call Storm and ask her to come lead the team, so who cares if he thinks she would be leading the team.

I hope he has done a bad job selling each writers vision because none of these books sound appealing the way he framed each one.

I knew this comment was coming but I didn't think it would be the first post.

I agree with Tom and it proves to me he knows the X-Men very well. Storm automatically would become the one everyone defers to.
    I disagree with Tom on that. Scott might be the only other leader to not have the air sucked out of the room when Storm arrives - I don't think he would be expected to automatically step down if she shows up, but they are on even enough footing that she wouldn't be expected to step down when he shows up either. I think they have enough pull to be able to question the other, and enough respect for each other to not try to take over even when their opinions differ.

Breevort having an opinion I don't fully agree with doesn't make him someone who hates my favorite character - not everyone thinks the same thing.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by NearlyEnough View Post
    Calling the decimation era "the dark age" because your favorite character wasn't as important as you wanted her to be is cringe, the Messiah trilogy, Fraction's run, Gillen's run, etc are some of the best X-Men comics ever and the whole "Claremont's era of comics is more popular so Storm is the bestest ever" argument is beyond stupid, when you judge who's the better leader you have to see the feats and Scott is so ridiculously clear in terms of feats that this isn't a discussion worth having, you know that, and that's why every time this topic comes you all resort to saying that Storm is the best becase daddy Claremont said so lol.
    Every character was sidelined at the expense of Cyclops. Magneto would never bow to him. Storm would never become wallpaper. Xavier would never do all the things he was accused of. That was when I became a Wolverine fan because he was the only one willing to stand up to tyranny and stop this Magneto 2.0. The dark age is completely ignored now and hasn't produced one classic. X-Men classics are all before the 2000s. The Dark Phoenix Saga, Days of Future Past, The Proteus Saga, I, Magneto, God Loves, Man Kills, Fall of the Mutants, Mutant Massacre, Inferno, Demon Bear, X-Tinction Agenda, Age of Apocalypse, etc. The list goes on and on and doesn't even account for Wolverine's solo stories like the Frank Miller limited series. The only "X-Men" classic from the 21st century is House of M which only tangentially involves the X-Men. It's more an Avengers/Wanda/Magneto story as it should be because Wanda is an Avenger.

Others have also pointed out that Storm's leadership trumps Cyclops' over and over. Have you ever considered that things got so bleak in the 2000s with constant mutant extinction events back to back because Storm wasn't in charge? Claremont is the father of the X-Men and responsible for why people like you and me still talk about them today. His take will always be the definitive take and there's a reason that Storm and Wolverine were the main two protagonists of his legendary 16-year run.

Quote Originally Posted by NearlyEnough View Post
    How did he treat Nathan according to you? as for Rachel, I think you're confusing him with Jean, he's always treated her well. As for his friends, they were all fake friends, all of them, his only true friends are the Champions and they seemed to like him just fine, Storm treating him horribly for years speaks badly about her, the fact that he still respected her even when she was talking about how much she wanted him dead all the time says a lot about Scott's good nature, not so much about Storm and the rest of "friends" who were quite ungrateful and unpleasant.
    This is the same guy who went to Alaska looking for birth records for his son when his son was born in New York. The same guy who had his face turned when his son was born. Maddie confessed that he hadn't even held the baby and didn't even once check up on her while Storm and the others actually did. This picture truly speaks a thousand words. In UXM 201, Storm not only won the duel but also proved to be more empathetic. Byrne said this was the case even back in his run when Cyclops thought Jean was dead and Storm called him out for being such an emotional dunderhead. How she could feel more for Jean than Cyclops, her alleged lover, did.

Jean rejected Rachel only once when she was presented to her using all the flaming imagery Jean had rejected. After Rachel left, Jean instantly regretted her actions. She didn't get a proper chance to be introduced to her or know her. Scott, meanwhile, was on the same team as Rachel for a long period of time and never once suspected that this girl, who is the spitting image of Jean, has her same powers, uses her codename and costume, and has his last name, was his daughter. Anyone that obtuse should not be defended. Anyway, Rachel is not even his daughter in the first place. Her father is the Phoenix and Wolverine has proved to be more of a paternal figure in her life, as Claremont established in interviews.

Storm has never treated him badly. She's the only one who calls him out when he closes up and refuses to let anybody in. Her admitting she never became close to him is not a fault on her part especially when she admits she is best friends with Jean, Logan, Kurt, and Piotr. What that shows is that Scott is the problem here and why Ororo could never reach out to him and consider him something more than an acquaintance.

Weren't the Champions the ones who only knew Scott as Tyke? Tyke and adult Scott are two very different people. My sympathies lie with Tyke, not the other one.

Every character was sidelined at the expense of Cyclops. Magneto would never bow to him. Storm would never become wallpaper. Xavier would never do all the things he was accused of. That was when I became a Wolverine fan because he was the only one willing to stand up to tyranny and stop this Magneto 2.0. The dark age is completely ignored now and hasn't produced one classic. X-Men classics are all before the 2000s. The Dark Phoenix Saga, Days of Future Past, The Proteus Saga, I, Magneto, God Loves, Man Kills, Fall of the Mutants, Mutant Massacre, Inferno, Demon Bear, X-Tinction Agenda, Age of Apocalypse, etc. The list goes on and on and doesn't even account for Wolverine's solo stories like the Frank Miller limited series. The only "X-Men" classic from the 21st century is House of M which only tangentially involves the X-Men. It's more an Avengers/Wanda/Magneto story as it should be because Wanda is an Avenger.

Others have also pointed out that Storm's leadership trumps Cyclops' over and over. Have you ever considered that things got so bleak in the 2000s with constant mutant extinction events back to back because Storm wasn't in charge? Claremont is the father of the X-Men and responsible for why people like you and me still talk about them today. His take will always be the definitive take and there's a reason that Storm and Wolverine were the main two protagonists of his legendary 16-year run.
    Calling Cyclops a tyrant and Magneto 2.0 tells me you have no idea what you're talking about, in terms of leadership Storm will never be on Cyclops' level and that's fine, she has other things going for her like and

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I disagree with Tom on that. Scott might be the only other leader to not have the air sucked out of the room when Storm arrives - I don't think he would be expected to automatically step down if she shows up, but they are on even enough footing that she wouldn't be expected to step down when he shows up either. I think they have enough pull to be able to question the other, and enough respect for each other to not try to take over even when their opinions differ.

Breevort having an opinion I don't fully agree with doesn't make him someone who hates my favorite character - not everyone thinks the same thing.
    Storm is a goddess and a queen. With royal ancestry dating back to the days of Atlantis and an original descendant of Eve. Not only an omega-level mutant but also blessed with magical ancestry so that even if she lost her mutant powers, we've seen she's able to lead the X-Men powerless for an extended period of time. She has greater ties to the larger community outside of mutants, such as the Avengers, Fantastic Four, Black Panther, and even villains like Doctor Doom. What mutantkind needs is a leader who is not so insular that his whole life revolves entirely around the X-Men and nothing else. That's how we get a segregationist society like Krakoa. Storm is not just an international or global icon but a universal icon with her work on Mars and terraforming it. There is truly no one else gifted with her credentials and capabilities which is why it is plausible to me that nobody else could possibly lead the team if she is around. Her natural charisma and magnetism is why everyone defers to her and why she can so easily make friends from people who are polar opposites of her like Yukio and Callisto.

You two sure do love to derail threads with your bs.

Anyway, I'm slightly optimistic about the new titles. X-Men is the one I'm most excited for but Uncanny looks pretty appealing too. That's some nice art!

I'm interested in X-men, Uncanny, Phoenix, and Storm. Depending on the cast of characters I might be interested in X-factor. His comments on the Jean book are exciting.. it sounds like both Jean and Storm have (at least temporarily) outgrown team books and it will be nice seeing them leading their own books. However, I admit I will always desire them to be part of a main X-men team. I love them both as X-men leaders.

Sometimes fans appear to forget these aren't real people. I have too sometimes too.

Cyclops and Storm are only as competent, important or effective as the writers make them be. For the past 5 years writers have written Storm to be a capable and formidable leader, before that they wrote her as just trowing lighting bolts on the background. For the last 5 years Cyclops was written as a glorified cameo, before that he was possibly the main character in the franchise. It all comes and goes at the pleasure of the editorial and creative teams.

I don't wanna derail the thread anymore so that was my final post regarding Storm.

Not sure how we got a Scott leadership thread out of all of this but......y'all can't argue through PM or create and Scott v Storm leadership thread or something??

Anyway, not really pumped by any of these but I plan to give X-Force, Phoenix and Storm a try.
    "I AM A GODDESS OF LIFE AS WELL AS OF STORMS. IF IT IS WITHIN MY POWER TO SAVE YOU -- I SHALL." - ORORO MUNROE

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

So how many times has Storm had a book before? I haven't really heard much of her prior solo appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    So how many times has Storm had a book before? I haven't really heard much of her prior solo appearances.
    X-Men Red is more or less a Storm solo title like the previous X-Men Red was basically a Jean solo title.

Her first solo series was in 1996.