Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Ah my question to you is what is the conversion rate from GP to DC Dollars? Especially after a Luthor presidency?
    Not really sure that's important, here. ^_^ Can the D&D Cleric with all of his stuff, domains as mentioned by Beadle, the artifact, and such find a way to make seven diamonds that are the equivalent of 35 000gp worth?

I mean, he can obviously steal them as well. At which point we DO need to consider the exchange rate, but if he's making them, Dollars-to-GP doesn't really matter.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Spectacular Member

If the diamonds are a sticking point, just make sure to grab a Rod of Resurrection as one of the items. And hope that it doesn't poof if you're using 5e's rules I guess.

Also, while I didn't think of it for some reason at the time, but a wizard could potentially pull the same trick with Wish. It's probably take 7ish days though.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Not really sure that's important, here. ^_^ Can the D&D Cleric with all of his stuff, domains as mentioned by Beadle, the artifact, and such find a way to make seven diamonds that are the equivalent of 35 000gp worth?
    First that was 35,000 total. Assuming you want a basic Raise Dead, that's 5,000 GP worth of diamonds each casting. If you're worried about Superman's constitution score, True Res is 25,000 per casting. But that's a 9th level slot too.

That said, probably not. I mean, I'm most familiar with 3.5, but each editions seems to be moving more towards "close all the silly exploits people found in the previous edition". So, I'm guessing even in future editions, all the spells that could make big diamonds for you said as temporary creations of magic, they were unsuitable for spell component use. And the only magic items I can think of that give diamonds, give "A random assortment of gems" and it's not anywhere near 35K. Clerics also don't get a lot of the cool polymorph spells, so you can't even transform other gems into diamonds with Polymorph Any Object.

Best you can hope for using your magic is an excavation of the Elemental Plane of Earth. But given that I'm told it's literally infinite in every direction, is MOSTLY solid rock with only a few pockets of air-space suitable for Prime Material beings, and you could wind up 500 miles off where you were trying to drop, that sounds risky.

Or I guess summoning some Elemental or Genie or other extra-dimensional entity and trying to get it to get diamonds on your behalf. What a thing like that would demand as fair payment for such a feat though may be more than you're willing to pay...

EDIT: OK according to this spell list, that claims to try to keep up with all the spell lists in D&D 3.5, in Races of Eberron Clerics got access to a Transformation Domain, that DOES include "Polymorph any Object".

EDIT 2.0: But THEN I read Polymorph Any Object in the SRD and it explicitly calls out "gems" as one of the things it can't turn stuff into. So THAT whole tangent was a total waste of time. They REALLY don't want you breaking the In-Game economy with massive amounts of valuable magical stuff out of nowhere.

In fact the only spell I could find that makes valuable items is "Wish". So if you're serious about this, you're going to want a Ring of Three Wishes, a fully charged Luck Blade, and still decide someone to let stay dead, as that's only 6 big-azz diamonds. You MIGHT get lucky if you use your Artifact on a Deck of Many Things but it's up to you if you want to bet your soul that way on a 2/22 chance of getting something that MIGHT solve your problem versus 11/22 chance of being horribly screwed over. the Gem card says it gives 50 "gems" worth 1,000 GP each. You may or may not get enough of them in diamonds to pay for one or all of it. The Moon gives you 1d4 wishes.

Philosopher's Stone can act as True Res for one body.

Now though you're trying to beat the Justice League without 2 of your magic items and maybe an artifact.

I mean, he can obviously steal them as well.
    Silly me, I thought the most obvious answer was "Sell your healing powers (and whatever other spells you have) for cash, and then BUY the diamonds more or less legitly."
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowedeyes View Post
    If the diamonds are a sticking point, just make sure to grab a Rod of Resurrection as one of the items. And hope that it doesn't poof if you're using 5e's rules I guess.
    I didn't see that one. What's that from?

First that was 35,000 total. Assuming you want a basic Raise Dead, that's 5,000 GP worth of diamonds each casting. If you're worried about Superman's constitution score, True Res is 25,000 per casting. But that's a 9th level slot too.

That said, probably not. I mean, I'm most familiar with 3.5, but each editions seems to be moving more towards "close all the silly exploits people found in the previous edition". So, I'm guessing even in future editions, all the spells that could make big diamonds for you said as temporary creations of magic, they were unsuitable for spell component use. And the only magic items I can think of that give diamonds, give "A random assortment of gems" and it's not anywhere near 35K. Clerics also don't get a lot of the cool polymorph spells, so you can't even transform other gems into diamonds with Polymorph Any Object.

Best you can hope for using your magic is an excavation of the Elemental Plane of Earth. But given that I'm told it's literally infinite in every direction, is MOSTLY solid rock with only a few pockets of air-space suitable for Prime Material beings, and you could wind up 500 miles off where you were trying to drop, that sounds risky.

Or I guess summoning some Elemental or Genie or other extra-dimensional entity and trying to get it to get diamonds on your behalf. What a thing like that would demand as fair payment for such a feat though may be more than you're willing to pay...

EDIT: OK according to this spell list, that claims to try to keep up with all the spell lists in D&D 3.5, in Races of Eberron Clerics got access to a Transformation Domain, that DOES include "Polymorph any Object".

EDIT 2.0: But THEN I read Polymorph Any Object in the SRD and it explicitly calls out "gems" as one of the things it can't turn stuff into. So THAT whole tangent was a total waste of time. They REALLY don't want you breaking the In-Game economy with massive amounts of valuable magical stuff out of nowhere.

In fact the only spell I could find that makes valuable items is "Wish". So if you're serious about this, you're going to want a Ring of Three Wishes, a fully charged Luck Blade, and still decide someone to let stay dead, as that's only 6 big-azz diamonds. You MIGHT get lucky if you use your Artifact on a Deck of Many Things but it's up to you if you want to bet your soul that way on a 2/22 chance of getting something that MIGHT solve your problem versus 11/22 chance of being horribly screwed over. the Gem card says it gives 50 "gems" worth 1,000 GP each. You may or may not get enough of them in diamonds to pay for one or all of it. The Moon gives you 1d4 wishes.

Philosopher's Stone can act as True Res for one body.

Now though you're trying to beat the Justice League without 2 of your magic items and maybe an artifact.
    See, this is why I asked you.

Silly me, I thought the most obvious answer was "Sell your healing powers (and whatever other spells you have) for cash, and then BUY the diamonds more or less legitly."
    Also why I asked you.

I don't think you would have any problem getting the equivalent in 35 000 gp worth of diamonds in this method.

Here.

It's an interesting thought experiment, and if we take the highest value noted, it would be about 7 million dollars worth of diamonds.

You could probably get that from a billionaire simply by doing ONE magical thing for them.

I didn't see that one. What's that from?
    First and second edition had that, as I recall.

...I'm old-school D&D, I tapped out at 3.5.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

So there you go, really.

Level 20 cleric, say...2st edition. For fun.
    Rod of Resurrection as one of your items. Make the others be whatever things you feel MIGHT give you a chance (the main reason I'm going First Edition is because of this, artifacts in 1st edition were...weird and stronk).

Fight the Justice League. Try your hardest.

If you win, you resurrect them all (and get the win conditions, if you choose). If you lose...you're fine.

Not seeing a downside, other than what happens to the poor minions who are trying to imprison my wife.

But then...*holds up Rod of Resurrection* No worries! ^_^
    Why are we here?

Also why I asked you.

I don't think you would have any problem getting the equivalent in 35 000 gp worth of diamonds in this method.

Here.

It's an interesting thought experiment, and if we take the highest value noted, it would be about 7 million dollars worth of diamonds.

You could probably get that from a billionaire simply by doing ONE magical thing for them.
    See I was thinking if you do a lot of healing for other people, then the JLA will see you as a kindly healer type. And thus be completely surprised when you go EVIL on them.

First and second edition had that, as I recall.
    Ah I looked it up and most of them were for the 5th edition version. The 1st edition was once per day though, so you may have to leave them dead a while.

...I'm old-school D&D, I tapped out at 3.5.
    I would have stopped at AD&D, having never ACTUALLY plaid a game, but reading a bunch of the Rules. But then someone challenged my Munchkining ability in 3.5, so I had to try it.

See I was thinking if you do a lot of healing for other people, then the JLA will see you as a kindly healer type. And thus be completely surprised when you go EVIL on them.
    This is not a bad plan. Is this a scenario? I dunno.

Ah I looked it up and most of them were for the 5th edition version. The 1st edition was once per day though, so you may have to leave them dead a while.
    Not really an issue.

I would have stopped at AD&D, having never ACTUALLY plaid a game, but reading a bunch of the Rules. But then someone challenged my Munchkining ability in 3.5, so I had to try it.

ccd242f1-9d80-42fb-b9c8-326c74413629_text.jpg
    Why are we here?

Spectacular Member

So to answer some questions in no particular order...

1) This is a scenario

2) If you're concern about gold pieces to modern cash ratio, old school Gygax said that a gold piece was a big coin was around 1/10 of a pound. Google says 1 lb of gold costs about $21,000 to $30,000 dollars, so let's just simplify and say 1 gold piece= $2,000 dollars (US). [Though I'm not terribly concerned about a 20th level character running short on material components. They could just have a portable hole filled with treasure or should have the means to rob any number of jewelry stores if they are worth their salt at all]

If it's a scenario, odds of winning skyrocket for the 20th level dude.

So my odds of actually winning and resurrecting the JLA, and moving to a fantasy world with all of my loved ones (and Rod of Resurrection!), just shot up.

REALLY sad this isn't a 20th level Anima character, now. 1: Better odds of winning. 2: Better benefits, from my perspective.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 05-07-2024 at 08:57 AM.
    Why are we here?

So, only your race has to be standard eh?

Discreetly loads up on broken homebrew class/feats/items/spells
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Spectacular Member

REALLY sad this isn't a 20th level Anima character, now. 1: Better odds of winning. 2: Better benefits, from my perspective.
    Apparently, the neigh-god doesn't know this system (neither do I!).

Though I might have a PDF of it on computer unread somewhere. I read game systems for fun, but haven't gotten around to that one, yet...

If it's a scenario, odds of winning skyrocket for the 20th level dude.

So my odds of actually winning and resurrecting the JLA, and moving to a fantasy world with all of my loved ones (and Rod of Resurrection!), just shot up.

Unfortunately though, part of being given the power of a 20th level Anima character would naturally be that your family are already dead, probably in a horrifically violent and/or traumatic way, so rescuing them is now a fruitless pursuit.
    Chief Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    So, only your race has to be standard eh?

Discreetly loads up on broken homebrew class/feats/items/spells
    Awesome. I love gamers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagreus View Post
    Apparently, the neigh-god doesn't know this system (neither do I!).

Though I might have a PDF of it on computer unread somewhere. I read game systems for fun, but haven't gotten around to that one, yet...
    For starters, without even using/having any special abilities, a solid Level 20 Anima character tends to easily be lightspeed in reflexes, having a 50/50 chance of parrying (yes, parrying) a nuclear explosion if it goes off in their face, and basically a 100% chance of blocking it if it's further than...if memory serves, 10' away (and this is only if they have a Dexterity of 13, otherwise the 'in your face' parry becomes more and more easy the higher the Dex goes).

That's without any prep, bonuses for Ki techniques/magic/whatever.

Granted, that's not enough. Flash is still faster, Green Lantern has auto-defenses. Clark and Diana are potentially physically stronger than anything in Anima (outside of someone with a strength of 20). Bruce is...sorry, Bruce, you're worthless here. But Manhunter? Easily on the same level as the best Anima psychic, and a physical monster to boot.

But this is WITH prep, and level 20 Anima characters are essentially world-breakers with all kinds of weird esoterics. So choosing to be a mage or a warlock (or multiclassed mage/warlock) means all kinds of immensely powerful magics ready and operating on top of whatever the basic character is, including metamagic bonuses (which can become weird, there's a reason metamagic is probably getting completely reworked when/if the new rules come out). Also potentially Ki techniques (Warlock...) that massively heighten one's abilities and capacity to damage stuff on a non-physical level.

Like, I could easily make up a character with speed far beyond light assuming they use Ki techniques (even the 'standard Ki techniques' in the array of rules), and prep gives them the opportunity to do such. Or a character who could basically ignore all of Flash's stuff and use FTL area attacks to wreck him. Or whatever.

It's just that 'Anima mage' gives me the opportunity to do all kinds of neat stuff outside of 'killing stuff' and makes life a whole lot better later on, when I decide to go to the fantasy world with all of my peoples. It's not...awesome there, but as a 20th level mage dedicated to 'staying hidden and keeping a semi-normal, comfortable, immortal life', there's precious little that can threaten myself and my little group of loved ones (now ALSO immortal and learning all kinds of stuff as well, yes, even the non-humans) and the things that CAN threaten me would have little interest in so doing (like, if I'm sitting around doing very little, Imperium gives no shits).
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 05-07-2024 at 09:46 AM.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Unfortunately though, part of being given the power of a 20th level Anima character would naturally be that your family are already dead, probably in a horrifically violent and/or traumatic way, so rescuing them is now a fruitless pursuit.
    This is true. Hm.

Ah, but I'm in THIS world (or DC). So that might not apply.

Also, expect me to be a mage-type and you can bet I'm grabbing Essence magic. <-- Mage NOT being my preference, but for this thread? You bet.
    Why are we here?