Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    REALLY sad this isn't a 20th level Anima character, now. 1: Better odds of winning. 2: Better benefits, from my perspective.
    Psh, I need to convince him to make me a maximum powered Scion character. D&D and ANima at 20th level you are high-fantasy hero. At 12 Legend in Scion You are the Chief of the Gods.

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    So, only your race has to be standard eh?

Discreetly loads up on broken homebrew class/feats/items/spells
    Well if HOMEBREW is allowed I could just write up an "I beat the JLA" spell. I was kind of assuming it had to be a published WoTC book. (And/or BoEF )

Quote Originally Posted by Zagreus View Post
    Apparently, the neigh-god doesn't know this system (neither do I!).

Though I might have a PDF of it on computer unread somewhere. I read game systems for fun, but haven't gotten around to that one, yet...
    Oh, I could show him where to buy Scion 2nd Edition, so he could both learn the system AND support the developers.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Ah, but I'm in THIS world (or DC). So that might not apply.
    Tell it to Ma and Pa Kent, the Flying Graysons, and that girl Robin fell in love with in the animated show.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Tell it to Ma and Pa Kent, the Flying Graysons, and that girl Robin fell in love with in the animated show.
    There's a bunch of characters who have perfectly normal families, and anyway, that's what essence is for. ^_^

Also, it occurs to me that for the purpose of this thread my loved ones are being kept safe and sound by the minions of Horse-God. So I'm not particularly worried about some plot contrivance killing them.

*glances at my wife*

Okay, I'm not worried for my loved ones. The minions, on the other hand...
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Spectacular Member

Well if HOMEBREW is allowed I could just write up an "I beat the JLA" spell. I was kind of assuming it had to be a published WoTC book. (And/or BoEF )
    Yeah, let's say the Horse-god is not a fan of homebrew, after all he wants a good game ("I beat the JLA spell" makes for a bad game). There's plenty of splat material (spells, feats, etc) to choose from in the various supplements!
    Last edited by Zagreus; 05-07-2024 at 10:18 AM.

Spectacular Member

Can Superman still crush coal into diamonds? Probably not, or you could resurrect him first with the Rod and then explain the situation to him to get the diamonds for the rest of the league.

Wizard might be the way to go though. It's take awhile, but you could Wish everyone back eventually.

So to answer some questions in no particular order...

1) This is a scenario [?]
    If it's a scenario, odds of winning skyrocket for the 20th level dude.
    My assumption was that yes, it's a scenario. It would have to be. Otherwise, the arena match begins and Flash kills 20th-level Wizard before an electron can complete its orbit around a hydrogen proton. And that's it, game over.

Scenario on the other hand....

20th-level Wizard says, "I wish I had a grimoire detailing this universe's magic system."

BAM!

Now you're potentially up there with Zatanna and Timothy Hunter. After all, if you're already 20th-level, you've got the mystic potential, the proven experience (god-given in this scenario, but presumably there), and the high intelligence to cast 9th-level spells. How hard can it be to figure out the DC universe magic system if you're already that good?

And with prep you can recruit (or manipulate from hiding) allies. Zod. Zoom. Lex. Others.

Open up that Phantom Zone. Reawaken those White Martians from their slumber. Call back Trigon and Neron from their eldritch exile. And then strike remotely while the JLA engage their enemies.

If it's a scenario, that is.

Even then, there's Barry Allen, who not only attoseconds around but controls his own atoms and molecules. And has all manner of dimensional manipulation abilities via "vibrations." So, even for prepped arch-mages, killing that is going to be a problem.

Just thought of this with all the Wish going around, but if you are casting spells with an XP cost you better hope he gave you a bit of buffer XP. Because IIRC you're not allowed to go down a level, and you aren't allowed to spend XP that would send you down a level.

Spectacular Member

Just thought of this with all the Wish going around, but if you are casting spells with an XP cost you better hope he gave you a bit of buffer XP. Because IIRC you're not allowed to go down a level, and you aren't allowed to spend XP that would send you down a level.
    Let's say you don't have a buffer. So you'd have to defeat one leaguer without a Wish, but after you do, then that would be more than 5,000 XP, and you could then cast Wish, no problemo (playing 3.5) Batman seems a likely target

Of course, there's ways around this. Book of Vile Darkness allows you to sacrifice a soul to pay the XP cost for spells (evil grin). Though, if you want to do that for this scenario, that's up to you...

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    I must think on this.

But I love the idea of a “neigh omnipotent being” instead of a nigh-omnipotent one.

Just this all-powerful horse-god.
    Hey, Beadle,

Over here in the DCU as a 20th-level Wizard trying to kill the JLA. Won't bore you with the details.

You're right about my sponsor, though:

medium.jpg

Gotta go and wreak some murder and mayhem.

Cheers,
    Shai

Spectacular Member

Of course, if you are relying on Polymorph effects, you may want confirmation by your Horse God that "incapacitating" is as good as "killing" for the sake of the challenge. Because BP isn't SUPPOSED to kill, and gives a big bonus to Saves against "he should TOTALLY DIE" arguments.
    Let's say the Horse god is a dark gamester who really wants to see blood and strife but is honor-bound by the rules he set out, so there is nothing against killing the JLA then bringing them back if you have the means (and inclination). After you win, and kill them all, of course, fulfilling the terms of your "deal" with him. He will likely be vaguely amused by such shenanigans!

Spectacular Member

The biggest issue is how saving throws are going to work, because let's face it, no one is choosing Fighter in this scenario. Knowing how effective spellcasting is going to be is paramount.

Let's say the Horse god is a dark gamester who really wants to see blood and strife but is honor-bound by the rules he set out, so there is nothing against killing the JLA then bringing them back if you have the means (and inclination). After you win, and kill them all, of course, fulfilling the terms of your "deal" with him. He will likely be vaguely amused by such shenanigans!
    Well that's annoying, because that bunny rabbit will still have superman's HP and fighting skill. Which means you're going to be beating up a bunny a lot.

Okay, got it figured. As long as this is not Kazan Arena, I can do this.

As a 20th-level Wizard I use dimension travel to come back to our universe. Use Geas spells on the DC staff and hierarchy. The geas is that they have to produce a special edition and kill all those characters.

So the storyline is, "Death of the Endless vs the JLA." Puny mortal comics executives and creators have no defense against Geas, so they're screwed. Even Barry Allen can't defeat Death of the Endless. JLA dies.

Dimension travel back to DCU, attend funerals, and wait for Q-Horse to show up, neigh, complement me on my horse-sense, and award me my prizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowedeyes View Post
    I don't really want to kill the Justice League....
    Well, you're not killing them permanently, as they'll just get recreated in the next DCU multiversal reset. By that token, their present iterations are going to "die" soon anyway.

For all I know, Q-Horse is setting up events for just that, a big DCU multiversal reset.

Maybe Q-Horse will allow us some input on the matter and we can request having the Silver Age versions back again?

UefbA2Z.jpg

You can't tell me you wouldn't be on board for this?
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 05-08-2024 at 11:26 AM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    Okay, got it figured. As long as this is not Kazan Arena, I can do this.
    Confirmed that it's a scenario, so that makes it easier.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate