Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Your top three Superman live action costumes.

I've always had an interest in how the hero looks. Be interesting to see which you prefer. See where there's consensus and disagreements. Here's mine:

Superman (1978). Still my #1 Superman suit.

Superman and Lois (2021-2024).

Crisis on Infinite Earths (2019).

Honourable mentions to the first Superman suit from Supergirl (2015-2021) and Man of Steel (2013).

I'll say, in no particular order: the main suit from BvS, Routh's suit from the CW Crisis on Infinite Earths, and the main suit from Superman & Lois season 3 and on.

Shout out to Gerard Christopher's suit from Adventures of Superboy, which looks like if the Christopher Reeve suit had a stencil used to draw its chest emblem, instead of just winging it.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

I love the Man of Steel suit. That’s kind of it for me. Nothing else has really won me over.

Astonishing Member

The Adventures of Superman

Man of Steel

Crisis on Infinite Earths

My top choice is Cavill's suit. Exquisite with the only improvements I'd make being to brighten the colors some and do more to define the waistline - though not trunks.

Then Gerard Christopher's suit. Folks who designed the Reeve suit did the Superboy suit and improved on the S:TM suit. Longer/more substantial cape fitting perfectly around the shoulders and neck, higher boots and larger S symbol than Reeve's suit. Next is the Reeve suit and after that Brandon Routh's KC suit. Tyler's suit from the Crisis ep where he had the trunks comes next.

Didn't like the Cain suit or the SR suit. Not a fan of the New 52 look (collar, cape attachment, accentuating lines) so the Gunn suit is my least favorite. As for the others like George Reeves they fall in between these two groups.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 05-10-2024 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I'll say, in no particular order: the main suit from BvS, Routh's suit from the CW Crisis on Infinite Earths, and the main suit from Superman & Lois season 3 and on.

Shout out to Gerard Christopher's suit from Adventures of Superboy, which looks like if the Christopher Reeve suit had a stencil used to draw its chest emblem, instead of just winging it.
    I don't think they winged it as much as intentionally made it look alien since it was the El crest instead of a stylized "s" designed by Pa Kent.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    I've always had an interest in how the hero looks. Be interesting to see which you prefer. See where there's consensus and disagreements. Here's mine:

Superman (1978). Still my #1 Superman suit.

Superman and Lois (2021-2024).

Crisis on Infinite Earths (2019).

Honourable mentions to the first Superman suit from Supergirl (2015-2021) and Man of Steel (2013).
    These are my three picks as well, though my order is Reeves, Routh, and Hoechlin's Fleischer suit.

Quote Originally Posted by All Star Superman View Post
    These are my three picks as well, though my order is Reeves, Routh, and Hoechlin's Fleischer suit.
    Curious about your thoughts on the Gerard Christopher Superboy costume. The designers were folks who had worked on Reeve's costume and they made improvements like the cape which is much more regal looking than was Reeve's.

gc2222222.jpg
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 05-11-2024 at 08:39 AM.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Practically all the costumes if anyone needs a refresher

For me:

1. MoS/BvS suits

2. Arrowverse KC suit

3. S&L S3 suit

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Superboy suit

Fleischer suit

KC suit.

Honorable mention: Supergirl. The cape clips have kind of grown on me over the years. And it's just so goofy.
    Assassinate Putin!

Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I think i love the routh version.. it's awesome.The reat I don't feel much attachment for.With superman it's not the suit..I always pictured big dude,not exactly lean..but big
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    Curious about your thoughts on the Gerard Christopher Superboy costume. The designers were folks who had worked on Reeve's costume and they made improvements like the cape which is much more regal looking than was Reeve's.

gc2222222.jpg
    I've always loved that suit! I do prefer the more accurate \S/ to the Reeve suit. I wish Christopher would have been tapped to play Superman in Lois and Clark, even though I really like Dean Cain in the role.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post

gc2222222.jpg
    Yeah! I like it a lot! I already mentioned liking this one, and said I preferred it to the Reeve suit. It's like, roughly the same but better in a few significant ways.

I don't think they winged it as much as intentionally made it look alien since it was the El crest instead of a stylized "s" designed by Pa Kent.
    I might buy this more if I felt that the emblem was consistent across Brando, and Reeve, and the various marketing materials, but it's really not the same across the board. I really genuinely do think it looks like they just didn't use a stencil.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

I've always loved that suit! I do prefer the more accurate \S/ to the Reeve suit. I wish Christopher would have been tapped to play Superman in Lois and Clark, even though I really like Dean Cain in the role.
    Superboy trivia - Gerard auditioned for the Lois and Clark role and got it. At the last minute a producer read his resume closely and found out he'd played Superboy and they dropped him and moved onto Dean.

Were you involved with the production of Lois & Clark?

I actually read for the show. It was interesting. At first the casting director didn't like my interpretation. Then she asked me to change it. I did and she liked it. Then she brought me in to meet the producers. When I walked into the room, they had no advance knowledge that I had done Superboy.

Now, there are two ways to look at that: They're either going to love it because I had done the part before, or the opposite would be true - they'd hate it. I read for the producer and his reaction was, "Wow! You're great, it's wonderful, you're the perfect guy for this!" There was a room of six or eight people, it was kind of exciting. Then he grabbed my resume, looked at the work I'd done, flipped it over and said, "You've done this already!" He threw my resume down on the table and basically threw me out of the room. It was pretty funny.

You have to keep in mind the situation that the Lois & Clark people were in. It's similar to when a restaurant goes out of business and is taken over by new owners: The new management wants to change the decor, the menu, the colors, the fabrics on the chairs - everything. He could have looked at the new show as an easy transition for me - from Superboy to Superman. I'm older, I'm experienced, and I have a following. But he was making a big move, a big transition in how the character would be interpreted. He wanted to go a different way. People like to do things their own way and often times they cut ties with anything that came before for their own personal reasons. I'm not making any judgements; if that's what he wants to do it's his business.

Gerard Christopher Interview
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 05-13-2024 at 03:19 PM.