Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Xyber looks very Asian on that Vecchio cover. Maybe he dyed his hair yellow.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I don't mind new characters (except when Jason Aaron creates them). A relaunch like this is a great time to bring in new characters because it makes sense from a story standpoint, and new readers are going to come in/come back, and it will be easy for them to fall in love with them. Everyone was new some time.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    There's only one way to view Karima and she is not a mutant

Also where are you getting that Kavita is a mutant? Im not seeing that anywhere. She definitely ddint appear in Tom Taylor's book and if its something from the recent X-men Red, that came 4-5 years after the original and was not a thing when Trinary was created
    I am saying they could have turned Rao into a mutant instead of creating Trinary if all they wanted to do was check off the diversity box.

Just to be clear I'm not bashing Trinary or her existence. I am just saying we got to accept writers want to introduce their own characters when they get a chance to write an X-book. Now if you want to bash them for not using Trinity or Bedlam from a diversity angle then yeah that's fair. I just don't buy the "no more new Mutants" complaint.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Don't you all read the interviews and articles?

These stories are pitched not mandated. As Brevoort said in an interview: He will advise but usually if the pitch is solid they will go with it. Sure the Editor and Co. can tell a writer to use/not use a particular character but then they'll be forcing the writer to change a particular story arc or plot they had.

Also...when pitching a story a writer may want to use a particular character but cannot because another writer has "dibs".

And...it might be easier for the writer to put a brand new character in the the mix among other established characters. A character the writer feels strongly for and can develop in full.

Plus bringing in new IPs is always a plus for the Publisher. It's a calculated risk that may or may not pay off.

Do I wish Trinary was in this? Yes. Am I bummed she isn't and we have a new "techno-type" character instead? No at all. It is what it is.
    I think reading interviews and being generally informed is too much to expect from people.

They prefer to make baseless speculations and assumptions that fit and justify their own narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealWashout View Post
    I don't mind new characters (except when Jason Aaron creates them). A relaunch like this is a great time to bring in new characters because it makes sense from a story standpoint, and new readers are going to come in/come back, and it will be easy for them to fall in love with them. Everyone was new some time.
    That would work if the characters are used after the one that created them leave, which is barely the case. And seeing how unoriginal this Xyber seems (like the so far new characters of this era), we have more limbo material.

Fantastic Member

It's ok Krakoa will be gone. Just start killing them off and leaving them dead again until somebody wants to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    So looks like Mutant Underground and X-Term might be comprised of former mutant heroes. If I had to guess, one of them will be HELLION.
    Oh great, so this will be the book of multiple character assasinations... I'm gonna celebrate when this one gets cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest View Post
    It seems that the new mandate is bloat the franchise even further with new characters that will be wallpaper in a couple of years. Oh well, at least Cece is pretty cool, I might give this title a look.
    Unfortunately most will be wallpaper in the new books if the past is any indication.

Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest View Post
    It seems that the new mandate is bloat the franchise even further with new characters that will be wallpaper in a couple of years. Oh well, at least Cece is pretty cool, I might give this title a look.
    You mean like what they did with Generation X, NXM, XM Academy, the recent New Mutants, ie. in every Era? It is what it is. I can see the reader skepticism but I also understand the Editorial position...you can't (shouldn't) force writers to writer characters they don't want or like. In each generation there are one or two new characters who "break out" and the rest are left behind. That's just the nature of the writers' office.

They way I see it...If given the writing opportunity all of you clamouring for established mutants instead of brand new ones would still ignore the vast majority of characters in favour of you r personal faves. This is no different.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Fantastic Member

You mean like what they did with Generation X, NXM, XM Academy, the recent New Mutants, ie. in every Era? It is what it is. I can see the reader skepticism but I also understand the Editorial position...you can't (shouldn't) force writers to writer characters they don't want or like. In each generation there are one or two new characters who "break out" and the rest are left behind. That's just the nature of the writers' office.

They way I see it...If given the writing opportunity all of you clamouring for established mutants instead of brand new ones would still ignore the vast majority of characters in favour of you r personal faves. This is no different.
    They screwed up when they introduced the new team in Giant sized X-Men. Should have been like the Fantastic Four and just used the same six characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoks View Post
    They screwed up when they introduced the new team in Giant sized X-Men. Should have been like the Fantastic Four and just used the same six characters.
    Exactatiously.

Funny thing is, I have no stake in this. I am generally not a fan of younger/newer characters and two of my faves are accounted for in X-Force, so I am not clamoring for a personal favorite here. Is just too much bloat to me as every single title is introducing new characters, and the reality is that the franchise can no longer sustain them. Is personal opinion, but I don't see this title lasting past a year (same with NYX) and I don't find the premise intriguing or original (it has been done already with Kitty and Emma bunch of times before). I understand this was the pitch, I just don't think this is the pitch they should have gone with.
    Last edited by Technopriest; 05-09-2024 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoks View Post
    I am saying they could have turned Rao into a mutant instead of creating Trinary if all they wanted to do was check off the diversity box.

Just to be clear I'm not bashing Trinary or her existence. I am just saying we got to accept writers want to introduce their own characters when they get a chance to write an X-book. Now if you want to bash them for not using Trinity or Bedlam from a diversity angle then yeah that's fair. I just don't buy the "no more new Mutants" complaint.
    Kavita wouldnt have fit the story that TT was trying to tell. You cant just palette swap minority characters and just use them in the same scenario. I dont think Trinary was created for simply for diversity purposes anyways. I only mentioned that bc her creation at least brought something different to the line and team that Xyber so far doesn. Im not counting him out though as the writer may prov why someone new was needed for this role

Mighty Member

I rather a great writer take a character, stick with canon and then put their stamp on it. A great writer should be able to take a character, find something in the, and make them stand out. Look what Wells did with Hellions… he had strange picks and the series was awesome.

Love the new covers. They look very good!
    I'm brimming with excitement.

(I understand those who aren't - in these cases, having a fave in the rooster or not makes the difference)
    "I know who I am. I'm a warrior.
    Bad things happen in battle. Warriors get hard. It comes with the territory."