14 82.35%
  • Knightfall/Crusade/KnightsEnd

4 23.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mighty Member

Default Death and Return of Superman vs Knitghfall/KnightsEnd

Which storyline did you enjoy/think was better?

For me it was the Superman story. I remember going to the comic store every month and feeling excited about the 4 Supermenn then. Plus the covers were cool and I wanted to see where the return story was going. Plus, Doomsday, while not much of a character and more of a blunt instrument was a beast. The Funeral for a Friend issues were great as well.

Knightfall was fine and I thought Bane was very interesting and I felt like here was a character that can take down Batman. I liked the idea of him becoming fatigued while chasing down his villains. And the backbreak issue was shocking. But...Jean-Paul Valley was just insane and not fleshed out like Superboy, Cyborg, Eradicator and Steel.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Both are great in very different ways, though both directly tackle why Superman/Batman weren't "modernised" in the late-80's-90's extreme style that infested comics at the time.

JPV had a steady and well-thought out descent into madness, but I think his journey suffered a bit due to a lack of supporting cast. He didn't have characters around to help add depth/human drama to it.

I had a friend who was utterly swept up in the "Who Is Superman?" thing, with a favourite to be the returned Superman, and complex theories about how it could actually be all four. He was so excited to grab each new issue!
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Knightfall was arguably the better story, but Death/Return did more for the Superman franchise than Knightfall did for the Batman one.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Death/Return is the better story for me, but the Knightfall saga had more of a lasting impact, and so much momentum that led all the way up to No Man's Land. It was basically one long continuous story and because of that those stories help make up my favorite Batman era.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    Death/Return is the better story for me, but the Knightfall saga had more of a lasting impact, and so much momentum that led all the way up to No Man's Land. It was basically one long continuous story and because of that those stories help make up my favorite Batman era.
    I started reading comics with Knightfall and also felt that everything in Batman was one long continuous story. I assumed that's what comics were like, so I was so disappointed when we started having these soft reboots, and new writers wouldn't always follow up from the prior continuity.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

It's like ask me who I love the most, mom or dad