Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

It's like ask me who I love the most, mom or dad

Mighty Member

Some of my favorite moments from Death and Return:

Adventures 500 where Pa rescues Clark
    Funeral scene
    John Henry coming out of the rubble

Also Cyborg kicking the crap out of Superboy including the end....The panel at the end makes it look like he was beheaded.

Both stories were designed to highlight that Superman and Batman were, respectively, not "tired" or "outdated" because of their non-lethal approaches to being superheroes in an era in which the anti-hero was hugely popular.

I feel that Knightfall, while being well-written and planned overall, ran a bit too long and stretched itself thin in all of the Bat family books of the time. The Death and Return, meanwhile, was largely contained to the Super books with few exceptions. This focus on Superman's corner of the DCU made the story feel more focused and ultimately more intimate.

All that aside, both sagas are, IMO, masterpieces that highlight what makes Superman and Batman the two greatest superheroes and examples of brilliant coordination between editorial and creative teams. They also both successfully introduced compelling new character who ended up becoming forever part of their respective mythologies in both comics and media adaptations.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

They both happened in the 90's, which is my favorite time in comics, so I love them both.

Death Of for me.

Knightsfall didn’t grab me nearly as much.

I lean towards Knightfall. I'm a sucker for Azrael and I still revisit that fight between AzBats and Bane from time to time. Gets my blood pumping.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    I lean towards Knightfall. I'm a sucker for Azrael and I still revisit that fight between AzBats and Bane from time to time. Gets my blood pumping.
    The ending of the fight in LotDK #63 where Bruce defeats JPV by unmasking him, and then chooses to let him go was awesome.

I love the last few images of him walking back towards Wayne Manor with his mask off. It was such a great ending.

Last edited by blunt_eastwood; 05-16-2024 at 02:28 PM.