Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin King View Post
    It feels like a meta-nod. We don't really know how long Morph was on the team before their "death," but the way Morph and Wolverine talk to each other in the original series (especially in "Courage") absolutely sounds like two people with a long-established friendship who are used to going on missions together.
    Just because they were friends doesn't mean Morph was on the team.

Honestly? I think this was the weakest episode. But only because the standard is always set so high every week, and going from all the complexity and dialogue given to Magneto this entire season to reducing him back to Pryde of the X-Men big asteroid silliness is like when the incredible Morrison era got to New York explosions (ofc we aren't quite at THAT level of quality drop yet, but it's a tad disappointing).

It's also concerning that Storm was underutilized this season after all. It's clear she was benched for so long as they probably feel she's overpowered. If the Four Horsemen are a big part of Season 2, then I bet she'll be one of them just to keep her off the team and increase the stakes again. Sigh.

DeMayo is the best thing to happen to Jean and Scott in media adaptations though, so there's that.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Wow, I think this might be my favourite episode so far right after #5.

So many things to unpack I just can't wait to rewatch it. The classic costumes. Jean vs Sinister vs Cable. Every moment between Jean and Ororo was just too beautiful for words. The Gold and Blue teams. Rogue's betrayal. Magneto vs Charles. And that finale... that finale!

I'm just at a loss for words. X-Men '97 has gone above and beyond my wildest dreams for an animated X-Men show and I will miss it terribly after next week's episode and until it returns for season 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Honestly? I think this was the weakest episode. But only because the standard is always set so high every week, and going from all the complexity and dialogue given to Magneto this entire season to reducing him back to Pryde of the X-Men big asteroid silliness is like when the incredible Morrison era got to New York explosions (ofc we aren't quite at THAT level of quality drop yet, but it's a tad disappointing).

It's also concerning that Storm was underutilized this season after all. It's clear she was benched for so long as they probably feel she's overpowered. If the Four Horsemen are a big part of Season 2, then I bet she'll be one of them just to keep her off the team and increase the stakes again. Sigh.

DeMayo is the best thing to happen to Jean and Scott in media adaptations though, so there's that.
    As much as I LOVED her Alien Superstar moment of getting her powers back in the mountains, I wonder if they should have had her return before she got restored. A lot of her focus being on family and their faith in each other would have hit a bit harder if she made the decision to be with her family irrespective of her abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    For once I find myself thinking Magneto didnīt go far enough , first small writting mistake from this series but itīs significative.

I know the writers were excited to do Fatal Attractions but Magneto, who just discovered there is a world wide conspiration to end mutants, knowing their voices or their names, knowing where Bastion and Mr Sinister probably are, he would have looked to kill them off after ending the menace of Prime Sentinels and THEN go have his dramatic spat with Charles if Charles himself didnīt get to him first.

Fatal Attractions worked because there wasnīt a particular menace for mutants at the time, Magneto just wanted to create a space for mutants to live free of prejuice of Earth, this was of course before Genosha.

So Magneto, you really needed to get your priorities straight here.

There is also the problem that only Magneto knows how deep this conspitation goes, the X-men believe itīs just Bastion but in the comics President Kelly was involved as well in OZT so itīs a little suspect that while what Magneto did is an emergency, succedenly a big proportion of humans being turned into sentinels is quickly forgotten by P.Kelly.

Loved Ep 9 but I still believe Ep 5 is the best of the season in writting, content, originality and character work
    There is no need for him to go after Bastion because he is destroying the whole planet. Better to just let the planet and humans die while Mutants chilling on the asteroid then they can repopulate Earth once humans are largely did and none of their tech works.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Where are the Avengers? Cap said he had a team. Why are the X-Men the only heroes trying to stop Bastion and Magneto? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic View Post
    Where are the Avengers? Cap said he had a team. Why are the X-Men the only heroes trying to stop Bastion and Magneto? lol
    When he gets the go ahead. Maybe he hasn’t gotten that yet. Not that it would make much sense but maybe Kelly didn’t give Cap the order to risk only mutants on the mission??

Rogue: "Who's gonna have to die next? Jean? Been there, done that"

LOL....that had me ROFL

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealWashout View Post
    He doesn't really imitate powers. He changes his own physical form (mass/density) to emulate physical powers like strength and speed.
    And even when he does, he's not really effective. The only reason he did much a Hulk this episode was bc he was bing protected and powered up by Jean's TK. Without her, he'd have gotten knocked out like in other episodes

I laughed when Magneto told Xavier to shut up.

Rogue joining Magneto didn't come as a surprise, but I'm sure she'll be back with the X-men after the way the episode ended.
    Gambit. Rogue. Repeat.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    There is no need for him to go after Bastion because he is destroying the whole planet. Better to just let the planet and humans die while Mutants chilling on the asteroid then they can repopulate Earth once humans are largely did and none of their tech works.
    There is no room on asteroid M for all mutants and it doesnīt make much sense for him to leave Bastion and Mr Sinister alone when he knows they didnīt act on their own and there was a world wide network of OZT members of governments who are directly responsible or complicit of the destruction of Genosha, at the very least he could have told this to the X-men and the X-men should have told him about Bastionīs future in which he controlled all of humanity, humans and mutants because he won the mutant - human war.

I think this episode suffered because they are acomodating two different storylines that involve different circunstances, they did this previously but this time they are leaving out plot points they established previously.

That said I loved everything else, Storm and Jean meeting was great, Cyclops and Cable characterization as well, Xavier talk with Jean and Scott was heartfeel and Scott has reason to stay mad at charles after letting him believe he was dead.

I understood Rogueīs decision but it felt a little forced to me, she remembers Remy dying to save them all, she, just like Magneto, should have gone after Bastion for Genosha, not hide on Asteroid M.

Edit

Quote Originally Posted by Nox Noctes View Post
    I laughed when Magneto told Xavier to shut up.

Rogue joining Magneto didn't come as a surprise, but I'm sure she'll be back with the X-men after the way the episode ended.
    Lol yes, loved this part too.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 05-08-2024 at 02:22 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    As much as I LOVED her Alien Superstar moment of getting her powers back in the mountains, I wonder if they should have had her return before she got restored. A lot of her focus being on family and their faith in each other would have hit a bit harder if she made the decision to be with her family irrespective of her abilities.
    Life Death 2 is my least favorite of the season. They skipped all the amazing things Ororo did during her powerless years in the comics, reduced The Adversary to a mere nuisance, never got into Ororo's history as a goddess or her relationship with the Bright Lady. I really was impressed with how the Maddie/Inferno stuff was handled in 3, but 6 fumbled.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Nox Noctes View Post

She either goes back to the X-men with her tail between her legs or quits to go heal on her own.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    There is no room on asteroid M for all mutants and it doesnīt make much sense for him to leave Cable characterization as well, Xavier talk with Jean and Scott was heartfeel and Scott has reason to stay mad at charles after letting him believe he was dead
    I've seen this sentiment pop up a lot from various posters over the last few weeks/episodes about Xavier being dead or the characters acting like he is and I don't understand why. The finale of the original did not imply he was dead at all, so none of his students should have believed he was(and they certainly didn't seem shocked by his return in this episode), so Scott still doesn't have a reason to be mad at Xavier.
    Last edited by Saturius; 05-08-2024 at 02:54 PM.

I loved Storm in the latest episode. Her and Jubilee's emotional reunion which I believe Storm was the first X-Men Jubilee ran into (literally) was a warm callback. Storm and Jean's reunion and general love for each other is far more apparent here than in the og series and when they were talking on the jet and Storm was encouraging Jean and putting everything into perspective with optimism it's easy to see why she would be an ideal leader who inspires hope. Her reaction to using the permanent power neutralizer is what makes her who she is... and it was funny.

I enjoyed Storm's brief power display and understand from a writers perspective why she had to go down... Jean went down, Wolverine went down, Xavier went down, Forge went down, Morphe went down, Beast went down etc. The story comes first and it's understandable that Storm would be concerned about her love and let her guard down to save him. However after hearing Xavier's reasoning for choosing Magneto to lead the team I couldn't help but wonder why he overlooked Storm who is second only to Xavier himself in idealism...
    Last edited by The Regent; 05-08-2024 at 03:08 PM.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    I've seen this sentiment pop up a lot from various posters over the last few weeks/episodes about Xavier being dead or the characters acting like he is and I don't understand why. The finale of the original did not imply he was dead at all, so none of his students should have believed he was(and they certainly didn't seem shocked by his return in this episode), so Scott still doesn't have a reason to be mad at Xavier.

The season started with the X-men and Magneto believing he was dead after not hearing from him or Lilandra, all they knew was that when he left he was dying. So when Magneto was given the school He, Scott and the X-men tried to make things work despite being previous enemies, in part because they believed they owned it to Charlesīs memory to try to work together and make his dream a reality, that was a subtle but constant motivation for all of them in the season.

So discovering he not only wasnīt dead but that he married Lilandra without telling them anything, having the means to contact them, it should at least give them some dissapointment or anger, it just isnīt important or relevant to talk about it more than the few commentaries Scott, Rogue and Roberto made.

They werenīt surprised to see him back because Bastion had already released on mass media that video of Lilandra and Charles announcing their marriage to the galaxy so seeing him back wasnīt surprising.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 05-08-2024 at 03:11 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022