Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    No it isnt and its not even the same thing. There is absolutely no justification that avier couldnt have communicated that he survived and checked in on them

And no jJean didnt verbally call Xavier out but she also didnt defend him which implies to me tht on some level she stands with Scott. She didnt call Scott out bc she agrees with him. She didnt have to say anything as her body language and face said it all as Xavier spoke. She has her arms on her hips and visibly looked pissed at him

This is not hte look of a woman happy with Xavier
    The justification is pretty simple. He wasn't planning on going back and felt his death would make it easier for the X-men to move on. The dude was prepared to have his memories of earth and the X-men wiped. Saying I am alive but I am never returning and am about to have my memories of you purged isn't exactly easier for the X-men to deal with.

That is not to say I agree with him but there is certainly a logic to not saying, "I am alive bit abandoning you. Have a nice life."
    Last edited by remydat; 05-09-2024 at 06:48 AM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I actually think not knowing is crueler bc if you think someone is dead, there is at least closure which is harder to obtain when you have unanswered questions
    I agree, though I don't think Xavier thought the X-Men didn't know he was alive. But that's unclear, so I see your point.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by NK1988 View Post
    Very well said.

Quite frankly, as someone who grew up in the 2000s, in an era of pessimism = realism, I find it funny that folks nowadays are so derisive of that attitude yet are similarly just as quick to say Magneto Was Right. It's like they wanna say the gritty violence of a Garth Ennis is childish and wrong...but we still need Magneto more than Xavier. That Xavier's talk is all BS while the violence of Magneto is justified.
    I feel it is a natural human tendency to think in absolutes, people love to make big declarative statements, and people love to be edgy and take the "controversial" position.

For me, Magneto is right about some things, but wrong in others.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NK1988 View Post
    Quite frankly, as someone who grew up in the 2000s, in an era of pessimism = realism, I find it funny that folks nowadays are so derisive of that attitude yet are similarly just as quick to say Magneto Was Right.
    Magneto was right's usage in the real world doesn't necessarily mean advocating violence obviously, otherwise half of the comic fans would be heading off for questioning and interrogation. What it does mean is that if you're a minority, you will never be accepted by other groups in ways other than meet the bare minimum legally required. I found in my life, as an Asian American man who also was born with a moderate genetic hearing loss (a double whammy) that not only does pessimism mean realism, reality was even worse than my most pessimistic outlook.

I worked hard, studied hard. Worked with 2 Nobel laureates, graduated from UC Berkeley, then got an advanced degree, engineering license, and a six figure salary job in my young twenties. But even since high school I couldn't get a date. My parents lied to me, pushed me on a grueling high level educational career path telling me that this was the key to getting dates. It was all a lie. Once I was in the workforce, I couldn't meet any dates period. I was trying to give my email address to women I met in the street at one point. Going onto dating websites, I met rejection after rejection after rejection. I accepted "No means no" every single time, eventually venturing outside my country in the online dating world, cold messaging women who lived in Ukraine (this was before the war, keep in mind I'm recapping years and years and years of suffering and rejection) or other poor countries who were open about wanting to move elsewhere, who were jobless--even they made it clear they didn't want to date me. Because of my hearing loss, I didn't learn new languages easily and my parents spoke a backwards Chinese dialect (Taishan) that no one speaks, meaning Mandarin Chinese women from China or Taiwan looked down on me too. My advanced degrees, my high salary (even to jobless women from places like Ukraine or Belarus), my clean record, that I didn't drink, smoke or do drugs--all of this meant nothing. Oh and I'm not overweight, normal looking but the constant debilitating ear ringing that eventually resulted from my genetic hearing loss lowered my energy levels slightly meaning getting the muscles that dates want wasn't as easy. Basically, if you're a member of a disadvantaged group, doing everything society says will never get you acceptance other than a "Good job" at the workplace--you will be treated like an outsider and a creep in the dating world.

Magneto was right.
    Last edited by Yistaan; 05-09-2024 at 07:34 AM.

Astonishing Member

Magneto killed all his credibility by his actions in the latest episode, just like he did in Fatal Attractions in comics. He's turned into another villain, who just wants to destroy the world, and threw a tantrum, when Charles and Logan had enough of his bullshit and decided to finish this.
    He might be right from ideological standpoint, but his methods have always been terrible, and he can't be a leader anyways, he's too unstable and emotional for that.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    He might be right from ideological standpoint, but his methods have always been terrible
    You're right

Fantastic Member

Does anyone remember Claremont's Greek quotes and by whom in the scene where Magneto rips out Wolverine's admantium? For me, they added so much feeling during that fight and added subtext.

--jthree

Quote Originally Posted by Yistaan View Post
    Magneto was right's usage in the real world doesn't necessarily mean advocating violence obviously, otherwise half of the comic fans would be heading off for questioning and interrogation. What it does mean is that if you're a minority, you will never be accepted by other groups in ways other than meet the bare minimum legally required. I found in my life, as an Asian American man who also was born with a genetic hearing loss (a double whammy) that not only does pessimism mean realism, reality was even worse than my most pessimistic outlook.

I worked hard, studied hard. Worked with 2 Nobel laureates, graduated from UC Berkeley, then got an advanced degree, engineering license, and a six figure salary job in my young twenties. But even since high school I couldn't get a date. My parents lied to me, pushed me on a grueling high level educational career path telling me that this was the key to getting dates. It was all a lie. Once I was in the workforce, I couldn't meet any dates period. I was trying to give my email address to women I met in the street at one point. Going onto dating websites, I met rejection after rejection after rejection. I accepted "No means no" every single time, eventually venturing outside my country in the online dating world, cold messaging women who lived in Ukraine (this was before the war, keep in mind I'm recapping years and years and years of suffering and rejection) or other poor countries who were open about wanting to move elsewhere, who were jobless--even they made it clear they didn't want to date me. Because of my hearing loss, I didn't learn new languages easily and my parents spoke a backwards Chinese dialect (Taishan) that no one speaks, meaning Mandarin Chinese women from China or Taiwan looked down on me too. My advanced degrees, my high salary (even to jobless women from places like Ukraine or Belarus), my clean record, that I didn't drink, smoke or do drugs--all of this meant nothing. If you're a member of a disadvantaged group, doing everything society says will never get you acceptance other than a "Good job" at the workplace--you will be treated like an outsider and a creep in the dating world.

Magneto was right.
    Friend, I think you should see a psychologist.
    You are not in the best environment to share your personal history and issues.
    I'll just say that you are misguided about what means "Magneto was right" and the correlation you are trying to make with your own life.
    Take care.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    Friend, I think you should see a psychologist.
    You are not in the best environment to share your personal history and issues.
    I'll just say that you are misguided about what means "Magneto was right" and the correlation you are trying to make with your own life.
    Take care.
    And... you just proved everything I wrote. That people who are in disadvantaged groups are judged and have assumptions made about them when they are honest about what they endure. You didn't even ask whether I've seen a mental health professional (answer, I have, and was told I have no mental health illnesses).
    Last edited by Yistaan; 05-09-2024 at 07:45 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by The92Ghost View Post
    Good episode overall, I
    - I don't know why, but in this episode I did not enjoy Scott's behaviour, neither Charles, I was all about the same as Magneto "Shut up!" Totally agree there Magnus.
    - I was really bumped when Cyclops stopped Magneto's probing by the Professor due to the Gold team not being ready yet. Totally get that... but couldn't you do it differently?
    Why no one is telling Storm what has transpired so far?!", "Are you kidding me, Rogue, Jean?!?! Let her know, even through a telepathy or something! Please give me something more!"

I was really pissed off in the way they reintroduced her back to the team, no tears, noheat, cold snap or anything that represents anger for what was done to Jean, to Madeline and her baby?! Are you for real, right now?! I do get that time is tight but for god sake spare a minute or two to catch Storm up!"

Excellent points 92Ghost. A great deal of the emotional responses to events this season has been diminished by lack of time. Really wondered how Scott and Jean could have gone on that diplomatic mission is episode 4 after all the fireworks in episode 3. Did wonder how Storm would have reacted more when finding out what happened with Jean/Madelyne? And perhaps the X-Men should be taking Magneto's turnaround a bit more personally since they accepted him as a leader for awhile, and fought with them? Again excellent points the92ghost.

--jthree

So I take it that every mutant Magneto came to recruit(off screen) gave him a big F-U since him, Rogue, and Sunspot seemed to be the only other mutants on the asteroid. Like others have said, Magneto was too emotional and his plan to let the Earth die(along with all humanity, all the remaining mutants, and animals) made no sense.

And... you just proved everything I wrote. That people who are in disadvantaged groups are judged and have assumptions made about them when they are honest about what they endure. You didn't even ask whether I've seen a mental health professional (answer, I have, and was told I have no mental health illnesses).
    To be fair, nothing you wrote has anything to do with Magneto being right and is moreso your personal experiences of being an incel. That has nothing to do with being a minority.

Magneto was right's usage in the real world doesn't necessarily mean advocating violence obviously, otherwise half of the comic fans would be heading off for questioning and interrogation. What it does mean is that if you're a minority, you will never be accepted by other groups in ways other than meet the bare minimum legally required. I found in my life, as an Asian American man who also was born with a moderate genetic hearing loss (a double whammy) that not only does pessimism mean realism, reality was even worse than my most pessimistic outlook.

I worked hard, studied hard. Worked with 2 Nobel laureates, graduated from UC Berkeley, then got an advanced degree, engineering license, and a six figure salary job in my young twenties. But even since high school I couldn't get a date. My parents lied to me, pushed me on a grueling high level educational career path telling me that this was the key to getting dates. It was all a lie. Once I was in the workforce, I couldn't meet any dates period. I was trying to give my email address to women I met in the street at one point. Going onto dating websites, I met rejection after rejection after rejection. I accepted "No means no" every single time, eventually venturing outside my country in the online dating world, cold messaging women who lived in Ukraine (this was before the war, keep in mind I'm recapping years and years and years of suffering and rejection) or other poor countries who were open about wanting to move elsewhere, who were jobless--even they made it clear they didn't want to date me. Because of my hearing loss, I didn't learn new languages easily and my parents spoke a backwards Chinese dialect (Taishan) that no one speaks, meaning Mandarin Chinese women from China or Taiwan looked down on me too. My advanced degrees, my high salary (even to jobless women from places like Ukraine or Belarus), my clean record, that I didn't drink, smoke or do drugs--all of this meant nothing. Oh and I'm not overweight, normal looking but the constant debilitating ear ringing that eventually resulted from my genetic hearing loss lowered my energy levels slightly meaning getting the muscles that dates want wasn't as easy. Basically, if you're a member of a disadvantaged group, doing everything society says will never get you acceptance other than a "Good job" at the workplace--you will be treated like an outsider and a creep in the dating world.

Magneto was right.
    Not to get too personal, but I think you're doing it wrong. Forget dating websites, or even the singular pursuit of "getting dates." Instead, throw yourself into real experiences. It sucks that your energy level is low, but suck it up regardless and make time to go to the gym. Even if you're not doing a particularly high impact workout, just get some physical activity and interaction with other human beings there. Even better if you can get a buddy to go with you. Make some friends at work, and grab drinks or coffee or lunch with them. Get out there. Meet people, not necessarily for romantic pursuits, but just to converse with and have some fun with. Get involved with some things in your city. Do volunteer work, etc.

As your network and your world expands, you will meet more and more people through these interactions. Eventually someone will come into your orbit somehow who you will romantically click with and you'll be happy. It might be at a friend's wedding, or a celebratory dinner, or at a fundraiser for a cause you support where you meet this person. A 5k for charity. Whatever it is. You get back from the world what you put into it. So put yourself into it, rather than sit back and try to order up a date like you're ordering a meal via DoorDash. Working hard and making money is a great start, but there's so much more... and I say that as someone who works very hard and makes very much. But money never bought me happiness. Or a date.

Best advice I can give, so take it or leave it. Definitely beats feeling sorry for yourself and being angry at the world. The world doesn't owe you nothing. At least in my experience. But don't be bitter about it. Instead put into it.
    Last edited by Jackraow21; 05-09-2024 at 08:43 AM.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Long-time Jubester Fan jubilees_bf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I like it.
    She’s been this mentor/kindred spirit/lover to Roberto this whole season, which has been Jubilee’s arc, only for him to join Magneto’s side when things got tough, after she specifically told him, “you still have me.”
    Is it “high school” in comparison to the other characters’ arcs? Yes.
    But that’s exactly where Jubilee is growing past right now.
    Exactly this- both Jubes and Roberto have had moments this season where they have acted like teens… but this is what they are. Jubilee from episode one specifically mentioned that instead of dancing in a nightclub after the Friends of Humanity had already captured Roberto… they could be doing something with their lives- like actually helping people. Sure, she’s wanted to play games on her birthday- no one can blame anyone for that… but Jubilee has always stayed loyal to her found family in the X-Men… and tried to make this world a better place ever since. Roberto on the other hand has had to grow up quick, learning the hard way. In one season, he’s been kidnapped, rescued, attacked multiple times, nearly died at the hands of Mojo and Madelyn Prior… witnessed Genosha’s destruction. He got the courage to tell his mom that he’s a mutant, only for her to turn her back against him and let the prime sentinels capture him. That is a lot for anyone, let alone an 18ish year old. However, Jubilee HAS been there beside him pretty much the whole way, and has saved him numerous times. She’s given him courage and a shoulder to lean on. As soon as Magneto made his statement after the EMP shockwave, Roberto sided with him, without even giving an explanation to his girlfriend? Then he attacked her while she was trying to help fight Magneto to save the world? That’s a lot to unpack, and a great deal they both have gone through. It might seem more light-hearted than some of the other issues in the show, but really, I think it has to be due to their young age and how many terrible things are happening to them both.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    To be fair, nothing you wrote has anything to do with Magneto being right and is moreso your personal experiences of being an incel. That has nothing to do with being a minority.
    well dam… 80sbaby from the top rope!!
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.