Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
See, I think Dominions are perfect for the X-Men. Especially Enigma. Some high-concept final villain of the era who's beyond the comprehension of even the most powerful of the X-Men, something that challenges even the Phoenix. They're ants to Enigma at his most powerful - imagine ants fighting against a god. The Fantastic Four or Thor have more experience with cosmic and abstract threats, but the X-Men being so ill-equipped to handle such a force makes it seem that much of a threat, and it would be more impressive if they manage to take it down. Making Enigma a primary threat does take away some of the mystery, but he's a product of a plan spanning multiple IRL years, had a ton of buildup, and is the culmination of several books' story arcs, and ties into the overall narrative. I feel like Enigma could have been one of the best modern villains we've seen in ages.

But then they take this story with years-long build-up, and just decide to speedrun it within a few months and between two writers. All while haphazardly throwing in plot elements to check off boxes, and underutilizing so many of the characters & themes that have been set up. All this time we've been treading water, wasting time with meaningless minis, taking all these meaningless detours that didn't develop Krakoa or the main plot. It could have been better put to use. I mean, look at how much X-Men Unlimited was able to tie in so many plotlines and have them build on previous stuff to create this narrative.
The problem with Enigma is essentially that Enigma is just written as Sinister. Enigma should be something we've never seen before, and doing stuff we've never seen before.
Yes, Enigma has all this power and yet .... just does the same Sinister things we've seen over, and over, and over again.

Enigma's relationship with Destiny? Exactly the same as with Sinister.
Enigma's schemes in the past? Exactly the same type of schemes as Sinister.
Enigma manipulating things to his own advantage? The exact same conversations as Sinister has.

Enigma doesn't seem like a new, high-concept villain; Enigma is just Sinister.