Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Ppplease don't mention 'Origins' or 'Romulus.'

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Ppplease don't mention 'Origins' or 'Romulus.'
    This is my only ask, I’m even okay with Origins as long as no Romulus.

I’ll always buy the Wolverine solo book. This series is no different I just hope I enjoy it. The last Wolverine solo I didn’t enjoy (as previously mentioned in this thread) was Paul Cornell and his story on how Logan lost his healing factor. Bad story and bad art which in hindsight seems deliberate because we were entering the anti-X-Men years at Marvel.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

If anyone's curious about the art, here's a sample from Choccolo's recent work on Immortal Thor

sounds like every wolverine book ever.

-flimsy reason for him being a loner in the woods: check
    -classical villains attacking him: check
    -moral-compass X-Man trying to bring him back to reason: check
    -sinister new villain in the background: check

I'm curious about the forest thing. Will check this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    It will look gorgeous. And it will read great...Ahmed is really really good on DD. Wolverine's guest appearance a couple of issues back was chef's kisses.

But Bloody hell!

Lord Ewing cannot catch a break from the X-Office. Now they've gone and poached Coccolo from his Thor.
    Yeah this is what gets leaning me towards having some optimism over having a positive outlook of this new era

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    If there adding another wolverine kid im droping it. They can't even use the 3 they have right now well adding a secret "super special" one seems lazy
    Percy already did as asked by your fandom. Let him have some peace man.
    Not saying you are wrong about not having more kids but idea of creep.
    Last edited by Keno; 05-09-2024 at 02:38 AM.

Oh cool. Not th biggest Wolverine fan but I love Saladin

Exciting. The art especially looks superb. Hopefully no more long-lost relatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    If anyone's curious about the art, here's a sample from Choccolo's recent work on Immortal Thor

Who will be the colorist?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    This is my only ask, I’m even okay with Origins as long as no Romulus.

I’ll always buy the Wolverine solo book. This series is no different I just hope I enjoy it. The last Wolverine solo I didn’t enjoy (as previously mentioned in this thread) was Paul Cornell and his story on how Logan lost his healing factor. Bad story and bad art which in hindsight seems deliberate because we were entering the anti-X-Men years at Marvel.
    Agree that I don't want to see Romulus again. Having said that, as a Wolverine fan, how would you deal with him at this point? Simply ignore him and try to act like that chapter in Logan's canonical history doesn't exist? I have a hard time with that myself. Especially since he still pops up from time to time, such as during Percy and Cassara's X Lives of Wolverine. So that makes it hard.

Here's how I'd handle it: Use Sinister, via some exposition, to kind of "hand wave" Romulus and everything associated with him away. What I mean by that is reveal that Romulus is basically just a big fat liar, and you cannot trust anything he has to say. Period. Sinister would simply say something to the effect of, "... and that fraud Romulus! He was forced to drink my experimental elixir a hundred years ago and it changed him, so I took him and his broken sister into my employ and made them my assassins, killing for me in the shadows. Until somewhere along the way he got delusions of grandeur, and started spreading his lies. He's a nobody."

And so you basically discredit him, and everything he ever said about being descended from wolves (which I think Loeb himself retconned in the sequel) or involvement with Weapon X, or anything else. With that bit of dialogue, it essentially explains that Romulus and Remus were just Sinister experiments who served him for some time, before breaking away. Boom. Problem solved. But... there's more... a deep easter egg of a clue for only the most astute Wolverine fans that would tell you who he (and Remus) really are.

If you go back to Origin II, the big twist was that the Creed we thought was Victor throughout the series was actually his younger brother, Saul. Apparently there were multiple Creeds, including sister Clara (who had a brief fling with Logan) along with brothers Saul and, at the end it's revealed there's an older brother, Victor. Logan, in a fit of rage, drowned Saul in a vat of Sinister's elixir, which causes Clara to walk away from him disgusted by his bloodlust. At the end, it's implied that Victor basically decides to take out his sadistic rage on whoever killed Saul (since he used to take it out on Saul -- and Clara -- on Saul's birthday every year), and thus that kind of marks the beginning of the Wolverine-Sabretooth blood feud. Which works timewise, since Victor's attack on Silver Fox on Logan's birthday was apparently years later; and them being together in Team X and that rivalry was even later still. What does that all have to do with anything? Well, it could be revealed that Saul and Clara Creed were taken by Sinister and turned into Romulus and Remus. Saul didn't die after drinking Sinister's elixir, and later on Clara was also brought into the fold. They were experimented on by Sinister and worked for him for a time, including doing some of his pre Weapon X dirty work. So these siblings of Sabretooth (that he doesn't remember due to mind wipes) have been out there for some time, kind of watching both Victor and Logan from the shadows and from time to time interfering. That's about it. Nothing less, nothing more.

Sure, it's a deep cut. But it would kind of tie things together more cleanly, reveal that Romulus and Remus aren't major players in Logan and Victor's history, but explain who they are. And then ignore them for good.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    sounds like every wolverine book ever.

-flimsy reason for him being a loner in the woods: check
    -classical villains attacking him: check
    -moral-compass X-Man trying to bring him back to reason: check
    -sinister new villain in the background: check
    Why mess with a winning formula?

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    I was going to say the same lol. It all depends of the execution.

Besides, you can say the same for every single character that has more than 30 years of publication. Spider-man, Batman, Superman, Hulk, Thor, Fantastic Four, X-Men you name it.
    I mean, take the X-Men for instance. Once again they are feared and hated, without the school, fighting the prejudice...same as always.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    The past decades have proven that among the diminished buyership of the comics, there is a group that will practically always buy titles with Wolverine regardless of quality.

And this group seems to be large enough to sustain his solos year after year.

So yeah. It makes sense that they just churn out barely different stories with Wolverine over and over, if there is no pressure to change.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

I hate to agree but I'd say im one of those lol. To be fair though I got out if all comics with the Krakoa era even Wolverine. I vaguely followed along and only started again with Sabretooth War and the actually xbooks soon with Xmen #1 uncanny #1 Exceptional #1 x-force and XFactor
    Last edited by berserkerclaw; 05-09-2024 at 06:00 PM.
    X-Men Forever