Astonishing Member

Default What if Pryde of the X-Men became a series instead of X-Men TAS?

What if Pryde of the X-Men became a series instead of X-Men TAS? That pilot is pretty silly, Magneto is just evil and nothing else, wanting to destroy humanity by crashing a comet into the Earth and Wolverine has an Australian accent. It felt like a combo of Silver Age X-Men and every 80s cartoon attempting to sell toys. The X-Men and the Brotherhood were split into a good and a evil team, with them coming off as Cobra vs. GI Joe or Autobots vs. Decepticons. It had good animation, but X-Men TAS served the X-Men better.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 05-08-2024 at 09:16 PM.

I don't think we would have gotten the Fox films without TAS. The writers of Pryde of the X-Men didn't take the series seriously.

It's not a far off stretch to say without the X-Men and Spider-Man, Marvel wouldn't have the bargaining power to save itself from bankruptcy.

I dunno, but I feel like you just answered your own question. X-Men probably wouldn't be as big as a franchise if that show continued.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    I don't think we would have gotten the Fox films without TAS. The writers of Pryde of the X-Men didn't take the series seriously.

It's not a far off stretch to say without the X-Men and Spider-Man, Marvel wouldn't have the bargaining power to save itself from bankruptcy.
    Yeah.

The ripple effect from TAS is actually insane. Without the TAS there would be no Fox films. No MCU. Maybe no 21st century superhero genre boom.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    The writers of Pryde of the X-Men didn't take the series seriously.
    Too bad. Still love the animation, though...

Last edited by K7P5V; 05-08-2024 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.
    "Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Whattheysaid...better animation if they'd maintained the quality...

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Too bad. Although, I still love everything about it (especially the animation):

Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Yeah.

The ripple effect from TAS is actually insane. Without the TAS there would be no Fox films. No MCU. Maybe no 21st century superhero genre boom.
    And when people complain about 90s nostalgia or why TAS got a revival over anything else, this is the answer.

Astonishing Member

Yeah.

I think both Batman TAS and X-Men TAS had a major impact on the superhero genre and Western animation action shows for kids.

I think the Raimi Spider-Man movies would have happened regardless if the Fox X-Men movies happened or not.

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

It had the greatest Emma and Wolverine of all time. I would watch the hell out of it.
    X-Poster of the Month: July 2009
    --- the best there is at what I do ---

I loved that slick animation style! But it's true the story and characterizations were lacking. That said, had that pilot never been made, TAS wouldn't have been made either. What's that lady's name, Margaret Loesch, or something like that was the lynchpin. She saw the potential in X-Men, and when Pryde didn't work out initially, she became Fox Kids head honcho or something like that, when it was first forming, and pushed for X-Men to be the big thing. So, even though Pryde failed, it directly led to the success of TAS, and thus all the stuff that came later.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by coveredinbees View Post
    It had the greatest Emma and Wolverine of all time. I would watch the hell out of it.
    I am Canadian, I don't care for Wolverine with an Aussie accent.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I loved that slick animation style! But it's true the story and characterizations were lacking. That said, had that pilot never been made, TAS wouldn't have been made either. What's that lady's name, Margaret Loesch, or something like that was the lynchpin. She saw the potential in X-Men, and when Pryde didn't work out initially, she became Fox Kids head honcho or something like that, when it was first forming, and pushed for X-Men to be the big thing. So, even though Pryde failed, it directly led to the success of TAS, and thus all the stuff that came later.
    Oh absolutely!

On a related note, its interesting that Pryde of the X-men went with a more 70's/80's inspired Claremont-era lineup (Cyclops, Wolverine, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Storm and Dazzler, with Kitty joining the team), while the TAS, which actually adapted the Claremont-era to a great degree, went with a cast drawn from the then-contemporary 90's comics. We know for a fact that Kitty was replaced by Jubilee in the TAS line-up to get away from the failure of this pilot, but perhaps a general desire to move away from this line-up was a factor?

Oh absolutely!

On a related note, its interesting that Pryde of the X-men went with a more 70's/80's inspired Claremont-era lineup (Cyclops, Wolverine, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Storm and Dazzler, with Kitty joining the team), while the TAS, which actually adapted the Claremont-era to a great degree, went with a cast drawn from the then-contemporary 90's comics. We know for a fact that Kitty was replaced by Jubilee in the TAS line-up to get away from the failure of this pilot, but perhaps a general desire to move away from this line-up was a factor?
    Pryde of the X-Men came out in 1989 when the X-Men were just coming out of Inferno and entering the Disassembled period. The Outback X-Men team wouldn't really work for the traditional storyline of fighting Magneto on Asteroid M. Going with the All-New All-Different team made sense since the X-Men were most heavily associated with The Dark Phoenix Saga and Days of Future Past, the two most popular storylines, and this being the definitive team.

By the time TAS was being made, the X-Men had already reached peak success with X-Men #1 and the Jim Lee designs so it made sense to go with the current lineup then which was about being a back to basics after the Outback/Disassembled era. And it could incorporate the relevant fan favs of the time like Gambit and Jubilee who either didn't exist or barely existed when Pryde of the X-Men was being made.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I loved that slick animation style! But it's true the story and characterizations were lacking.
    Totally agree about the animation. But yeah, both writing & characterizations need a serious tweak.
    I mean, Wolvie doesn't need to be such a meanie & admonish Kitty every time they have an interaction (LOL):

Last edited by K7P5V; 05-10-2024 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.
    "Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Pryde also gave us Storm with a controlled atmospheric force field in space, something the comics would take about 25 years to replicate!

RCO059_1584062263.jpg
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!