Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member

TAS for me, then, honestly, early internet profiles and the Spider-Man: Ultimate Guide source book before the Raimi movies - I know I went in to watch the first one and immediately clocked how much of it was adapted from the events in the comics, even though I was only 12.

Interestingly, this combo might have led to my conviction that the story was progressing forward as its greatest strength, not living in stasis.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I'm old as dirt so mine was Marvel Team-up #16 (where he and Mar-Vell fight the Basilisk). Saw it on a spinner rack at a 7/11 when I was pretty little. Not only my first Spider-Man intro but my first comic ever.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

The Clone Saga and TAS to a lesser extent was my introduction to Spider-Man.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

First Comic I ever read (at age 6 in 1974) was also the first time I ever saw Spider-man.

After that it was the Electric Company, reruns of the 1967 cartoon, the seventies live action show, the eighties cartoon(s) etc….

Incredible Member

spidey-camera_0.jpg
    Every day after school.
    School got out at 3pm.
    Had to bike home as fast as I could to catch it at 3:30pm.

Fantastic Member

I saw the ‘94 cartoon first and watched the Raimi movies religiously, but what caused the switch to flip from “casual fan” to “I am going to spend every free dollar I can earn on this for probably the rest of my life” was Adam Troy-Castro’s Sinister Six trilogy of prose novels. Those still crack my top 10 favorite Spidey stories ever, and I reread them almost yearly

The 90's cartoon.

BANNED

90's Cartoon, Raimi's Trilogy, MTV Spidey and the PS2 Spider-Man 2.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

My introduction was a cover first the silver armor to battle Electro Web of Spider-man #100 but more specifically Spider-man the Animated series. I loved it. For comics i got into Venom alot more with his seriesnof mini series in the 1990's
    X-Men Forever

Astonishing Member

I would say my overall order goes something like this:

Spider-Man TAS (90s)

Raimi Spider-Man (early 2000s)
    Spider-Man 2000 PS1 game (early 2000s)
    MTV Spider-Man (early 2000s)
    Spider-Man Unlimited (early 2000s)

Ultimate Spider-Man comic (late 2000s)
    Marvel Adventures Spider-Man comic (late 2000s)
    616 comics (late 2000s)
    Spider-Girl comic (late 2000s)
    Spectacular Spider-Man show (late 2000s)

When I started school, aged 4, it felt like lots of the other children wore branded t-shirts featuring cartoon characters. All my clothes were pretty plain,so I asked my parents to get me a t-shirt with a character. I knew nothing about Spider-Man, but my parents chose a t-shirt with an image of Spider-Man and a speech bubble saying 'web it dude!'.

Once I started wearing the t-shirt I suppose I must have felt duty bound to seek out Spider-Man content. I started with the 90s animated series, specifically the episode Day of the Chameleon. It was like nothing I had ever seen before. I was hooked. The next episode was the first installment of the Insidious Six two parter, which was a great introduction to some of the classic baddies.

After avidly watching the cartoon for a little while I started to show an interest in the comics. At that time, my local newsagent sold US floppies as well as the UK reprints. I think my first ever issue was Sensational Spider-Man #1, with Ben Reilly as Spider-Man. It was the first part of the Media Blizzard story arc featuring Mysterio in a funky new costume. I knew nothing about Ben Reilly or the clone saga at the time but oddly I can't remember feeling particularly confused by it.

A week or two later I picked up the eighteenth issue of Astonishing Spider-Man, a UK reprint series. It included Web of Spider-Man #125 (Peter in the Scarlet Spider costume up against the Phil Urich Green Goblin and a rogue Miles Warren clone), as well as - in a brilliant piece of timing - reprints of Amazing Fantasy #15 and the second part of 'The Night Gwen Stacy Died'. I do actually remember finding the Web of Spider-Man issue quite hard to follow, but it clearly did little to put me off as I continued buying ASM every month from that point on!

The Live Action TV Show
    Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends

And eventually the 90s TV Show

All thanks to my Dad

Astonishing Member

The old cartoon. Series in the late sixties.

My friend got some episodes of the 90s animated series from Blockbuster and that was my introduction to the character and some of his villains like Green Goblin and Doc. It wasn't long after that I saw the 2002 Raimi movie and truly fell in love with Spider-Man