Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default What was your introduction to Spider-Man...?

...and how did it shape your perception of the character and/or preferences for the franchise?

In my case the answer is clear-cut - I was introduced to Spider-Man through the 2002 Raimi film as a kid.

Not long after I sought out the comics, and read the first arc of Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man, as well as a few issues of the then-recent Spider-Man: Chapter One. I also happened to read a few issues of Spider-Girl early on.

Also around this time I read the giant Spider-Man guide, published by DK Books I believe, which was a deep-dive into the entire 40 year history of the character and his mythos.

I also caught a few reruns of the first couple of seasons of the 1994 animated series, and watched the 2003 MTV series when it premiered. A few years later, I watched Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends.

In terms of 616, I remember reading some stray issues of the then-ongoing JMS run - Peter and MJ were having marital issues, Peter was working as a teacher, and Aunt May had just learnt the truth. Think I read the 'Revenge of the Green Goblin' mini around this time as well.

So to sum up, my gateway to all things Spider-Man was the Raimi movie, and that was the prism through which I viewed most of the other Spider-Man media I consumed over the next few years. To me, Mary Jane-Watson was 'the one' for Peter, virtually predestined since they not only get married, but have a kid together in the future! Norman Osborn AKA the Green Goblin was Spider-Man's arch-nemesis. Harry Osborn was his best friend, who I knew would become a villain someday (so the ending of Spider-Man 2 didn't surprise me). Gwen Stacy was really more a trivia item for me, a long-forgotten part of Spider-Man lore it was interesting to know about, but not really relevant (I associated MJ with the iconic 'bridge scene').

A decade later, I did enjoy TASM, mainly because it felt like Ultimate Spider-Man. Emma Stone's portrayal of Gwen interested me in the character for the first time, though I knew she was destined to die and make way for a rebooted MJ (that ultimately didn't happen).

The MCU Spider-Man honestly didn't resonate with me that much, though it was exciting to see a version of Spider-Man interacting with the Avengers. I suppose, to me, it was an intriguing 'alternate' take on the character, but not really my Spider-Man. I loved NWH for that reason though, not only because Tobey and Andrew's Peters came back, but also because it pushed Tom's Peter in the same more 'classic' direction.

I loved the Spider-Verse films though, and particularly the version of Peter Parker in them who was at least partially coded to be the Raimi/Maguire version.

It took some episodes of the 90s series, PS1 game , toys and Raimi Movie as my introduction to the web head. Then it was mostly cartoons movies or videos games like Ultimate Alliance that kept my interest. Read a few comics but mostly kept up with his history thru the wiki. Didn’t get into the comics until I heard about Superior Spiderman turning into Venom.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

The Animated Series was my real introduction, though I was already aware of Spidey as I had Amazing Spider-Man #282 in a UK Marvel Annual from the late-80s.

I grabbed some books from the library (a load of the Michelinie ASM and some of McFarlane's SM), then started collecting the UK reprints that was running the 90's Clone Saga. It didn't take long for me to start buying all the Spider-Man comics and every back issue I could get my hands on (until the Byrne/Mackie reboot, after which it was just back issues).
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member

Spider-Man 1960s cartoon reruns but mainly Spider-Man 1990s animated series and Spider-Man on the PlayStation. Comics, it was reprints of the Clone Saga and JMS Spider-Man run in Astonishing Spider-Man, a UK monthly.

The 90s cartoon followed by Unlimited, Electro's revenge for the PS1 and the anazing friends reruns.

Three things in particular:

- The 90s TAS (To this day, Christopher Daniel Barnes is the quintessential Spidey to me)

- Issues of Web of Spider-Man when I was a kid

- And this video game
    Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 9.13.57 AM.jpg

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

The 90s Cartoon --> Ultimate Spider-Man comics.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Astonishing Member

Spider-Man TAS was my introduction, and I feel like it's one of those things that's dated but aged gracefully. It's acknowledged as great but for the most part we've moved on and don't base everything around it to the point where it's detrimental to the IP, which you sometimes get with some other stuff - like the way the 80s show cast a shadow on TMNT for a long time, or the way the influence Raimi and Bendis had on Spidey in the 2000's cast a shadow to this day (BND, etc.). TAS doesn't have that, and that's part of why it's always fun and charming to go back to it. Wish more dated things aged like TAS.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 05-09-2024 at 06:44 AM.

I was introduced with the comic strip. Then I picked up a few early issues. I got something with the Hobgoblin since the comics were doing the mutant agenda. I picked up a back issue of Spider-Man #1 with the Lizard, so I was excited that the animated cartoon had him in the first episode.

The trading cards and various magazines helped me get an understanding of the history.

I did connect to a brown-haired dorky guy from the Forest Hills area of Queens.

One way it may have shaped me is that I ended up liking comics with a single Peter more, because the ones I was exposed to tended to be better (reprints are going to favor good material, Ultimate Spider-Man was decent.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

For me, I think my first contact with Spider-man was the Spidey Super Stories segment on The Electric Company then the live action show in the late 70s.

Neither was really good but they got me interested, so when Spider-man and his Amazing Friends hit in the 80s, which was my first taste of a witty, smart, powerful Spider-man bantering with his friends, I was hooked. And given that there were so many cameos from the comics, it was a perfect gateway into the wider Marvel Universe and I started collecting as much as I could.
    Spider-Man works in mysterious ways, Shelly. And wherever he is, he loves you.

Extraordinary Member

TAS for me, then, honestly, early internet profiles and the Spider-Man: Ultimate Guide source book before the Raimi movies - I know I went in to watch the first one and immediately clocked how much of it was adapted from the events in the comics, even though I was only 12.

Interestingly, this combo might have led to my conviction that the story was progressing forward as its greatest strength, not living in stasis.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I'm old as dirt so mine was Marvel Team-up #16 (where he and Mar-Vell fight the Basilisk). Saw it on a spinner rack at a 7/11 when I was pretty little. Not only my first Spider-Man intro but my first comic ever.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

The Clone Saga and TAS to a lesser extent was my introduction to Spider-Man.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

First Comic I ever read (at age 6 in 1974) was also the first time I ever saw Spider-man.

After that it was the Electric Company, reruns of the 1967 cartoon, the seventies live action show, the eighties cartoon(s) etc….

Incredible Member

spidey-camera_0.jpg
    Every day after school.
    School got out at 3pm.
    Had to bike home as fast as I could to catch it at 3:30pm.