Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

Default NYX - Ongoing Q&A w/ Jackson!

Hey everyone!

I'm Jackson Lanzing, one half of the Hivemind with my best friend Collin Kelly. Together, we're writing the new NYX for Marvel's From The Ashes X-Line.

Collin and I are insanely excited to be joining our favorite line of comics with an ensemble book of young mutants learning to live in the post-Krakoan diaspora - and on the recommendation of Streez over on Twitter, I figured I'd come through and open up a thread for y'all to ask us questions about the book.

Why yes, I am stealing the idea from Gail. Not for the first time, and I'm sure not for the last.

If you're unaware of NYX, here's the public info: https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...from-the-ashes

Like many of you, the Krakoa Era has meant an enormous amount to me - it's the line that brought me back to X-Men as a reader after a bit of an absence. What can I say, Hickman and Gillen have always been my faves - I was lining up for Phonogram autographs back in the day. With NYX, we're looking to create a space that acts as a bridge between the Krakoa and the next era - one that acts as a conversation about mutant culture and community. So it's only right that we open our ears and hear what you have to say, regardless of your favorite X-books, and get that conversation started.

I'll swing through at least once a week to answer questions - or dodge the ones that I can't! Please feel free to post your feelings, your hopes, your critiques, whatever. This is your space, I'm just opening a little access hatch to Hivemind Labs so we can get into it about Kamala, Sophie, David, Anole, Laura, and all the rest of the mutants you'll be meeting on the mean streets of NYX.

So, yeah! Hope it's cool that I just rolled in like this! Ask away - and thanks in advance for taking a chance on these wild new X-books. We're all having a total blast making them for you.

Hi, glad to see you coming here and supporting our community. No matter what, it's always appreciated when you guys come to share with us. I hope to learn more about the creative process, the "what could have beens," and how things evolved over time in the background.

But for now, I have a simple question. Where is Hellion? Is he at least doing okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Extraordinary Member

In your mind what is the age range of each character?
    I know you can’t say precise ages, but can you describe the range?

Super excited about this title. Loving the ‘not a team more of a community’ concept.

I really hope you all know how much the Academy X generation is loved.

It really is the one generation that didn’t all together get the recognition they deserved in the Krakoa era after everything they had been through it would have been nice to get more introspection from those characters.

Especially the more popular ones that everyone wanted to see but editorial chose to ignore for whatever reason.

I also hope you get to borrow characters here and there.

Also that it has a huge portion of LGBT characters. Anole, Greymalkin, Specter, Mercury, Bling, Loa and Prodigy.

I know you have your core 5 but it would be nice to have that explored even if it’s just for one arc or even one issue.

The younger generations always seem to be more confident in themselves and more open about who they are so it tracks. IMO.

Please don’t have Anole act and look like a 12 yr. old. Please partner with your artists on that. He should be early 20s.

And I hope you know Hellion and Wind Dancer issues will sell like hot cakes

CG_COMMISSIONS_8-4-2024.jpg
    Last edited by CGAR; 05-09-2024 at 05:07 PM.

What's going on with the rest of the cuckoos or is that too Spoilery? If it is then , what are ur favourite Laura runs?

Quote Originally Posted by JacksonLanzing View Post
    Hey everyone!

I'm Jackson Lanzing, one half of the Hivemind with my best friend Collin Kelly. Together, we're writing the new NYX for Marvel's From The Ashes X-Line.

Collin and I are insanely excited to be joining our favorite line of comics with an ensemble book of young mutants learning to live in the post-Krakoan diaspora - and on the recommendation of Streez over on Twitter, I figured I'd come through and open up a thread for y'all to ask us questions about the book.

Why yes, I am stealing the idea from Gail. Not for the first time, and I'm sure not for the last.

If you're unaware of NYX, here's the public info: https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...from-the-ashes

Like many of you, the Krakoa Era has meant an enormous amount to me - it's the line that brought me back to X-Men as a reader after a bit of an absence. What can I say, Hickman and Gillen have always been my faves - I was lining up for Phonogram autographs back in the day. With NYX, we're looking to create a space that acts as a bridge between the Krakoa and the next era - one that acts as a conversation about mutant culture and community. So it's only right that we open our ears and hear what you have to say, regardless of your favorite X-books, and get that conversation started.

I'll swing through at least once a week to answer questions - or dodge the ones that I can't! Please feel free to post your feelings, your hopes, your critiques, whatever. This is your space, I'm just opening a little access hatch to Hivemind Labs so we can get into it about Kamala, Sophie, David, Anole, Laura, and all the rest of the mutants you'll be meeting on the mean streets of NYX.

So, yeah! Hope it's cool that I just rolled in like this! Ask away - and thanks in advance for taking a chance on these wild new X-books. We're all having a total blast making them for you.
    First of all, welcome to the X-Comics, big fan of Hive Mind, can't believe you guys are finally joining the X-Line.

What's the differences or similarities with the original NYX's series? Any of the characthers of the vol 1 will show up anytime soon?

How was the process to choose the characthers for this line up and what can we expect for them?

And the last one, there's some Academy X characthers there, amazing! Can we expect more of them showing up between issues? fingers crossed for Wind Dancer, Dust, Wallflower... haha

All-New Member

It's my pleasure! Mutants gotta stick together. It's kind of the whole premise of our book!

But for now, I have a simple question. Where is Hellion? Is he at least doing okay?
    Wild that the first comment out the gate is one that I have to answer mostly with a no comment, but there you go. Mostly no comment.

That said, on a personal note: Julian is a character that Collin and I have long adored - primarily because, like many readers, he is stuck between a desire to live up to Xavier's dream and the real-world reality of living as a member of a persecuted minority. When we were reading Academy X, he was set up to be both "the next Cyclops" and "the next Magneto" - there's not a lot of characters with that kind of troubled, evolving depth. He's also got deep ties to both David and Laura, obviously. So, he sure seems like he'd fit into the larger narrative of NYX, right?

All-New Member

In your mind what is the age range of each character? I know you can’t say precise ages, but can you describe the range?
    Age at Marvel is always a tricky thing to track, but the NYX cast ranges from late teens (Kamala) to mid-20's (Prodigy). Anole is at least 18, since he's bartending in NYC. Sophie's a little older, 21 seems about right. We're never gonna put firm numbers on it, but that's the range.

Welcome, Jackson!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

All-New Member

Also that it has a huge proportion of LGBT characters. Anole, Greymalkin, Specter, Mercury, Bling, Loa and Prodigy.

I know you have your core 5 but it would be nice to have that explored even if it’s just for one arc or even one issue.

The younger generations always seem to be more confident in themselves and more open about who they are so it tracks. IMO.
    This is absolutely at the top of our mind on NYX. The mutant metaphor is quite often used as a reflection of queer culture - something we've be pretty adamant about protecting and extending. Prodigy and Anole are already in our core 5 - though generally in stories that center their mutant identity, rather than their sexuality specifically.

Issue #3 is going to be the place to look for this kind of focus, at least in the early days of the series. So make sure not to miss that one.

Julian is a character that Collin and I have long adored
    Okay, ordering 10 copies of the first issue now
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Hey everyone!

Hello, Jackson. Quick, simple question. Is Laura still hanging out and taking care of her brother and sister; Daken and Gabby?

All-New Member

What's going on with the rest of the cuckoos or is that too Spoilery? If it is then , what are ur favourite Laura runs?
    That's absolutely spoiler territory, but suffice to say that Sophie is taking some time away from her sisters and trying something new. She's always had the desire to be something of a hero... maybe a friendship with Kamala Khan can open some new paths in her life.

As for Laura, I first met the character through the original NYX, but my preferred take on the character comes from Academy X and All-New Wolverine. Tom's been a good friend and a huge influence on the Hivemind over the years - and I always thought her budding attraction to Julian was a cool way to view that complicated character.

Quote Originally Posted by MakubeX View Post
    Hello, Jackson. Quick, simple question. Is Laura still hanging out and taking care of her brother and sister; Daken and Gabby?
    Good question. I got to really enjoying the Snikt Family interactions during the Krakoan era, and hope they continue. Including Laura's relationship with her father, Logan.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Oh damn. Poor Sofia

But don’t get me wrong I still love the Jules/Laura dynamic.

These little nuggets are getting me more excited.