Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Incredible Member

Default Does Avengers need Spider-Man & Wolverine again!?

Been 20 years since writer Brian Michael Bendis asked a rather obvious question to the then powers-that-be at Marvel, "Why aren't your 2 most popular characters on your flagship team book!?" Naturally, there was resistance. From editors, other creators and fans. Usually with statements such as they were "loners." Or - in Wolverine's case- was an X-Man.
    But it worked.
    I don't typically keep track of sales but I believe right now Avengers isn't exactly a top seller.
    So, that's what brings me to the question and title of the post- "Does the Avengers comic book need to have Spider-Man and Wolverine on the team again!?"

And if not them- who? Which 2 characters now would help the team book? Wolverine and Deadpool? The latter has also been an Avenger but not when his popularity was this high with a mainstream audience and not just comic book readers.

IF you did have them, who else would be on the team?

If Star Power is what's needed, then my only addition would be Mary Jane Watson-Parker

Last edited by K7P5V; 05-09-2024 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.
    "Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Adkins View Post
    Been 20 years since writer Brian Michael Bendis asked a rather obvious question to the then powers-that-be at Marvel, "Why aren't your 2 most popular characters on your flagship team book!?" Naturally, there was resistance. From editors, other creators and fans. Usually with statements such as they were "loners." Or - in Wolverine's case- was an X-Man.
    IIRC, the all-star team idea with Wolverine and Spidey was originally Mark Millar's idea. But you can see in the post-Disassembled 2000s there was a general push for the Avengers line from Quesada and his bosses probably going up to Perlmutter. Not just with New Avengers too, but also you saw pushes with Captain America (that got Brubaker), Iron Man (with the Director of Shield idea and had Warren with Extremis and later got Matt Fraction) and the Thor revamp with JMS. I don't think there's that sort of priority or a pool of untapped talent like we had back then that made it work.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 05-10-2024 at 06:57 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    IIRC, the all-star team idea with Wolverine and Spidey was originally Mark Millar's idea. But you can see in the post-Disassembled 2000s there was a general push for the Avengers line from Quesada and his bosses probably going up to Perlmutter. Not just with New Avengers too, but also you saw pushes with Captain America (that got Brubaker), Iron Man (with the Director of Shield idea and had Warren with Extremis and later got Matt Fraction) and the Thor revamp with JMS. I don't think there's that sort of priority or a pool of untapped talent like we had back then that made it work.
    Was it? I really don't know. Is there an article about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Adkins View Post
    So, that's what brings me to the question and title of the post- "Does the Avengers comic book need to have Spider-Man and Wolverine on the team again!?"
    NO!!!!!

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    NO!!!!!

Peace
    ^^^Quoted for truth.

Spider-Man doesn't really work on The Avengers in general.

Ultimate Member

No, Spider-man and Wolverine don't need to be Avengers.

Nah.

Spidey and Wolvie can guest star but they don't need to be on the team.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.