Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Comics from the '60s and '70s weren't actually all that great. They're vastly better today than they were back then.

Cyclops' arc over the past 20 years has been one of the best long-term character arcs in comics, and I dread the day he goes back to his old status quo. I've always loved Cyclops, I think he's been one of the most interesting members of the team right from day one, but I'd rather see him dead than back to what he used to be.

The worst problem faced by comics is nostalgia, and the refusal of too many readers to try anything they haven't already been reading for 30 years.

Age of Ultron was an underrated event, with a genuinely interesting and well-told story.

Marvel continues to suffer systemic sexism and racism, particularly when it comes to writers. They give important titles exclusively to white men, and put women and people of colour on more minor titles that aren't expected to last very long.

Marvel continues to have a piss-poor record with LGBT characters.

There are a lot of characters who are essentially rapists, but who never get called out on it because they're not committing forceful assaults. I'd like to see the fact that Rape By Deception is still a form of rape get addressed.

Bendis is a better writer than Hickman. Yeah, I went there.

The X-Men's Schism has been a fantastic idea, and rather than being brought to an end, it should be expanded, with more teams having their own ideas on how to address the conflict between humans and mutants.

Related to that, actually: Xavier did more harm to the cause of mutants than Magneto did. Magneto laid forth a manifesto, and one could agree or disagree, but he was visibly making a statement. Xavier, by keeping his students hidden away, only emerging to fight other mutants, and then slipping back into the shadows without laying out a real case for coexistence, ensured that Magneto's view was the only one actually seen. The entire idea of the X-Men having secret identities was idiotic, and Cassandra Nova forcing them out of the shadows and into the public's eye was the absolute best thing that could have happened.

Claremont, while he did a lot of amazing stories, did a crap job at the minority metaphor aspect. Bendis handled that stuff far better than Claremont ever did.
    Last edited by Tiamatty; 03-02-2015 at 11:24 PM.

Hmm. I'll bite (though I'm not sure how exactly controversial any of these are):

The MLK/Malcolm X metaphor for Professor X and Magneto really disservices both Civil Rights leaders.
    Namor is better as a villain than he was as a hero (but please don't make him crazy evil).
    Carol's Captain Marvel uniform is better (and yes, sexier) than her Ms. Marvel outfit.
    Storm and Wolverine is/was more forced than Black Panther and Storm.
    Legacy characters are great, so long as the original hero doesn't come back (or takes up a new name if he/she does).
    The Punisher is a character that should be given one last good run and then put on the shelf for a decade or two. Same with Wolverine.
    The X-Men and Fantastic Four are not in danger due to anything to do with their film rights.

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    * The Dark Ages of Comics where not the 1990's, but from Late 2004 threw 2012 during the Famed Heroes vs. Heroes and Schism Era!
    * I don't Believe in Hating Hero Characters in any Form; but not being interested, bored or just not liking some make Sense!
    * I Really Like Rogue as an Avenger and an X-Man!
    * Death has become Boring, a Bad Plot Surprise Ploy and near meaningless since their is always a way to Comeback!
    * Scarlet Witch was a Target and Victim of one of the Worst Character Assassinations in the most Lazies of Ways I have ever Seen! It Ignored over 15 Years of Character Development and just ignored it did not happen!
    * Scott Summers is Not Evil and was Misused in AvX!
    * Possession is Possession!
    * Mind Control is Mind Control!
    * Every character can and should come back from Bad Story Writing and Usage!
    * All the Build Up for Hope Summers over the Years was Completely Botched and Wasted in AvX!
    * SpiderMan 3 was Not That Bad of a Movie, I Enjoyed it, it just Wasted Venom's Use the Most!
    * Avengers and X-Men Divides of the teams should not exist in a shared universe!
    * I enjoyed AvX, But allot of Heroes where really OOC, Especially Captain America and Cyclops!
    * While it is good to engross in all dialogue of a Story; Bad Ideas, Mis-staments and Holes Happen and if forgotten by future stories should be seen as such!
    * Recons are a Double Edge Sword, but a Necessary to Save Characters and Stories form Bad Choices!
    * All Heroes and Their Fandom's should have Equal Rights in being Respected for who the Fan Likes!
    * The 1990's where Extreme and Gimmicky, but not as bad at times as it gets blamed for being!
    * Heroes vs. Heroes was one of the worst ideas to Befall Marvel and all comics in general!
    * The Schism in X-Men Needs to End!
    * Villains should be Villains, not replaced by Schisms, Family/Friend Feuds or Heroes vs. Heroes!
    * It does Fall Victim to plot holes and early bad writing, but Uncanny Avengers is a Fun and Exiting Book! It is a Good Read!
    Every character should come back from bad story writing and usage

Pym should be redeemed and made an Avenger. Retcon out the slap. It never happened.
    Same goes for Scarlet Witch. Retcon out Avengers Disassembled, and HoM. They weren't her, they were Doom.

I know why Marvel does things like One More Day, Sins Past, the Pym slap, Avengers Disassembled, because they think soiling a character makes them more interesting, and there is some evidence that controversy sells, so Marvel will stick with the bed they make for themselves. There is more story opportunity by breaking a few eggs, and making the MU more like the real world instead of keeping the world vanilla to their detriment. It just doesn't reduce the rage affecting the readership that it causes knowing this.

Ultimate Member

Too many X-titles. The line needs to be re-launched
    I never understood Janet Van Dyne
    Dan Slott's Spider-man is the best its been in years
    Sam Alexander's book is kind of interesting
    Iron Man hasn't been interesting since the Micheline/Layton era
    Waid's Daredevil is over-rated
    Fraction's Hawkeye is over-rated
    Uncanny Avengers is a great book
    Spider-man's marriage aged the character

and the most controversial

I'm enjoying Bendis GoTG more than the previous volumes.....yeah, I said it.

BANNED

Wonder Man is awesome. Writers just forgot that.

I like most of the comics I read every week. If I don't like one, I put it up and move on to the next.

Marvel isn't out to destroy the X-Men.

Marvel doesn't get their jollies by creating divides in the fanbase.

Avengers readers and X-Men readers used to be Marvel Readers, who supported both franchises. We need to move back to that.

Some of you take this shit way too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by SickAlice View Post
    All right I'll put a toe in the shallow end. You all might want to make sure your seated for this.

- I really enjoyed the Daredevil and Elektra movies. I also like the Thomas Jane Punisher movie a lot and thought and it was my favorite of any made.

* unfolds umbrella and holds it over face *
    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Too many X-titles. The line needs to be re-launched
    I never understood Janet Van Dyne
    Dan Slott's Spider-man is the best its been in years
    Sam Alexander's book is kind of interesting
    Iron Man hasn't been interesting since the Micheline/Layton era
    Waid's Daredevil is over-rated
    Fraction's Hawkeye is over-rated
    Uncanny Avengers is a great book
    Spider-man's marriage aged the character

and the most controversial

I'm enjoying Bendis GoTG more than the previous volumes.....yeah, I said it.

I'll give this a try.

- Simon Spurrier is the best writer currently at Marvel.
    - Uncanny Avengers was one of Marvel's best books until it got to Planet X.
    - Dark Reign was Marvel best period of comics in the last 20-30 years.
    - Everyone talks about X-Men continuity being convoluted and complicated, but it's a breeze compared to Spider-Man's. I can't think of another Marvel character that endured so many terrible retcons and story arcs. It's a mental exercise to read a spider-man comic and selectively pick what to dismiss and accept.
    - Elektra by Blackman and Del Mundo is amazing.
    - James Robinson's Fantastic Four is a very good run.
    - I don't understand all the fuss about starkat.
    - I liked Marvel Ultimate line and don't understand why it was essentially allowed to die.
    - Walking Dead tv show is horrible and a shadow of the source material.
    - Guardians of the Galaxy is a deeply flawed movie and totally overrated.
    - Loki is the only good antagonist in MCU. Marvel really need to work on that.
    - Continuity is not the big bad bogey man some lazy writers and editors paint it to be. In fact, it's both DC and Marvel best friend. It's what made them the giants they are today and what will keep Image and others a very distant third place in terms of massive appeal.
    - The only positive reboot ever was Crisis of Infinite Earths.
    - The idea that teen mutants books don't sell is a fallacy.
    - Hope Summers character was mostly ruined after second coming. Cable should have remained dead and Hope taken his role in the x-titles.
    - Multiple versions of the same character running about in the same reality only weakens the strength of the original. Always did, always will.

I love these threads. They spark such interesting discussions. Here are a few of mine.

Tony Stark is better and more effective as Superior
    Beast is a complete hypocrite for condemning Cyclops for his inadvertent murder of Xavier, yet he willingly participates in the Illuminati
    Captain Marvel is better with longer hair and her old costume
    Nick Fury Jr. is superior to Nick Fury Sr.
    Wolverine does not belong or fit in with the Avengers
    The Avengers deserved to lose Avengers vs. X-men

And finally...
    Peter Parker is not very likable and he's a very inept, irresponsible, selfish hero

This is one that's actually fairly recent, but it's been brewing for a while now. Ever since Brand New Day, I find myself liking Peter Parker less and less. He's one of those characters that's just permanently regressive. It's not just because of his luck. He never seems to make any progress in his life or with his efforts as Spider-Man. His villains always seem to get stronger. His personal life never results in anything meaningful. Any time he ever accomplishes something, he seems doomed to mess it up. I can probably make some of the same criticisms towards Batman, but Batman has a clearly defined set of morals and he sticks to them. Peter just wings it. He's supposed to be so smart, but he never actually does anything to help the villains he fights or contain them. He never lets anyone else risk their necks for him, even when they want to. He tries to shoulder responsibility in a way that isn't responsible. It's downright self-deprecating.

I know this is unpopular, but it is my opinion and I understand it's not shared by many.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I love these threads. They spark such interesting discussions. Here are a few of mine.

Tony Stark is better and more effective as Superior
    Beast is a complete hypocrite for condemning Cyclops for his inadvertent murder of Xavier, yet he willingly participates in the Illuminati
    Captain Marvel is better with longer hair and her old costume
    Nick Fury Jr. is superior to Nick Fury Sr.
    Wolverine does not belong or fit in with the Avengers
    The Avengers deserved to lose Avengers vs. X-men

And finally...
    Peter Parker is not very likable and he's a very inept, irresponsible, selfish hero

This is one that's actually fairly recent, but it's been brewing for a while now. Ever since Brand New Day, I find myself liking Peter Parker less and less. He's one of those characters that's just permanently regressive. It's not just because of his luck. He never seems to make any progress in his life or with his efforts as Spider-Man. His villains always seem to get stronger. His personal life never results in anything meaningful. Any time he ever accomplishes something, he seems doomed to mess it up. I can probably make some of the same criticisms towards Batman, but Batman has a clearly defined set of morals and he sticks to them. Peter just wings it. He's supposed to be so smart, but he never actually does anything to help the villains he fights or contain them. He never lets anyone else risk their necks for him, even when they want to. He tries to shoulder responsibility in a way that isn't responsible. It's downright self-deprecating.

I know this is unpopular, but it is my opinion and I understand it's not shared by many.
    I think this is a fairly popular opinion at least as of recent.

I liked axis as an event.
    Spider-Man and the x-men is one of my favorite ongoing series
    Secret Wars sounds exciting to me
    I like the new x-kids
    I see nothing wrong with more Quentin Quire focus
    Sam Alexander is great
    Rick remender can do almost nothing to ruin my appreciation of his writing
    The latest uncanny xmen arc wasn't that bad really
    Scarlet Witch is an interesting character that should stick around
    Deadpool is not overrated, especially with its latest run, and Daniel Way's run was more enjoyable than people give it credit for.
    While the uncanny x-force fear itself tie in was great, the art makes wolverine look like a ridiculous angry mouse sometimes.
    That's all I can think of for the moment...
    Last edited by TruDivination; 03-03-2015 at 12:36 PM.
    "Luck doesn't exist. There are no such things as coincidences. Anything can be rationalized, logic is essential, sense is irrelevant."
    -Future Evil Dictator. Or just me.

All New All Different Marvel Pull List: Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny X-Men, All-New X-Men, Spider Gwen, Ms. Marvel, Deadpool, Agents of Shield

Obviously Marvel can just have all of my money at this point in time.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

At this point in time I would be all for a ground up reboot of the Marvel U. Every story lately has fallen into that trap that originally killed the Wildstorm line over at DC in that every story has to top the last for some writers. One story you destroy a city. The next you have to outdo that so you destroy a country. Then that isn't enough so you destroy a world. Now you have to top that so destroy a galaxy. Well that has to be topped so lets start destroying whole universe. Hickman and Remander right now are stuck in this endless cycle of trying to oneup themselves and have reached the point that they have no where left to go. Just start over and try to not fall into the same cycle again at least for a few more decades.

And if they ever did pull the trigger and reboot I would not be upset if the X-Men were split off into their own world where mutants are the only superbeings.

Spectacular Member Jesse_Custer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Roman View Post
    I've got a couple:
    Deadpool isn't really that funny.
    I've enjoyed most Marvel events that I've read. (Except Fear Itself).
    Wolverine shouldn't be on The Avengers.
    The current Avengers (Marvel NOW) are way to powerful.
    Nick Fury Sr should be able to co-exist with Nick Fury Jr.
    Hyperion is awesome.
    Captain Marvel needs more publicity.
    Sam Wilson (as Captain America), shouldn't use the shield.
    Cyclops isn't evil, but misunderstood.
    Norman Osborn is a better Avengers villain, than a Spider-man villain.
    I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Except the Deadpool isn't funny, but I don't read his solo book or any of his many limited series. I know Remender does great with him(Uncanny X-Force and Axis)

I don't know Hyperion very well, so I cant say whether I can agree or not, and I don't read Cap or care enough about Falcon to speculate on the shield thing

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Most of the Marvel Superman clones are terrible (Hyperion, Sentry, Wonder Man)
    Blade is the only non-stereotypical black Marvel character who isn't from Africa or the "hood"
    Blue Marvel says Hi!

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, that's why the only ones that lives there are the ones who dont any other place to stay or want protection from anti-mutant attacks.

But its necessary, given that these days basically everyone wants to kill them......................................
    I get that, but still. What about the mutant students that don't want to be X-Men? In the movies, the Xavier Institute was a place for mutants to go to school in peace, free from the prejudices and rejection they'd suffer in "normal" school, and learn to control their powers. But one thing is learning to control your powers and another is getting put through the gauntlet every day in case you need to fight Sentinels or the Brotherhood or f'cking Apocalypse. In the movies, only the senior, more experienced students graduated and became X-Men (if they so desired) to help further the cause and protect mutantkind, or they went back to the world, a fully educated citizen in control of themselves and their bodies.

Also, the Jean Grey school does look ugly, I miss the classic, and classy, Xavier Mansion.

It's all personal opinion, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That aside, I'd say, for an unpopular/uncommon/controversial opinion, that Brian Bendis isn't that bad a writer, but he does best in the arena of gritty, street-oriented crime noir fiction. It's why his Daredevil and Alias were as good as they were; he used characters that were already street-level heroes (or conceived as street-level heroes) as protagonists and central figures for the kind of stories that he was more familiar with, and it largely worked. What didn't work for his skill-set was trying to take on stories and characters that should be larger than life and epic in scope, like the Avengers and more recently the Guardians of the Galaxy and the X-Men, hence the mixed reactions to his runs on all of those series.
    Agreed 100%. As much as I shit on Bendis, he is very good in that particular niche. It's just that when they shove him into everything just because of his popularity it gets annoying (kind of like Wolverine) especially in stuff he may not be as suited to work with (GotG especially).

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I will concede that Peter Parker is currently the least interesting Spider-Person in the Marvel Universe(s), but also say that the blame largely lies with Marvel wanting to turn the clock back on his character and actively reject any progress, advancement, or growth he achieved over his decades of existence. Even more so, Marvel is bent on keeping him trapped in a very narrow and limiting status quo as the constant underdog (which, given his talents and resources, sounds more like underachiever in practice) of the setting, a status quo that has long since become stale and tired for a lot of readers and fans. That is what has made Peter Parker the blandest and least interesting of Marvel's Spider-Heroes, that Marvel itself can't see past its tired and outdated ideas of what he is, what he represents, and what he should be or represent.
    You completely nailed it. I think the same.

All-New Member

Shuri shoudn't have died.
    I like the idea of there being more than one school for mutants.
    The All-New X-Men shouldn't be exclusive to one side (I.E, they should be neutral in the conflicts between the two institutions).
    I like Star-Lord's charecterisation in the movie more than in thhe comics.
    Gamora's current costume is better than her previous ones.
    I like Venom post-Mac Gargan (Agent Venom-present) more than I do for his previous incarnations after his initial storylines, so I wouldn't like to see him become a villain ir villainous anti-hero again.
    Spawn should be acknowledged at least once.
    The Black Vortex is an interesting plot device, though currently nothing more than a macguffin.
    I liked Age of Ultron.

The Thing is stronger than the Hulk, nuff said !