Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All-New Member

Hey all, I am reading via marvel unlimited and I used to read full runs, but I would prefer to be more focused this time. I have been googling around, trying stuff out and usually it doesn't really work, some suggestions of "best runs" just don't seem too appealing. So that's why I am here, hoping a more personal suggestion will be more helpful.

I read most of Hulk - enjoyed Peter David (Vegas part was my favorite) and Ewing (first half was stronger), Pak was not bad as well.
    I read Spider-man from JMS to 2016ish, JMS was not bad at first, everything else I could have done without
    X-men - I read Claremont, skimmed through stuff until Morrison - sadly the art style really bothered me, read astonishing and skipped everything till Krakoa. Claremont's stuff was my favorite of it all.
    Ultimate Spider-man was pretty good, tried some other ultimate universe stuff, but didn't really work for me
    Tried a few Doctor strange, Punisher and silver surfer runs, but except current Punisher and Silver Surfer: Black nothing really worked for me
    Read Fractions Iron-man, Hawkeye and Iron fist, only enjoyed the Hawkeye
    Read most of Daredevil and most of it was pretty good, However I don't like the last arc of Zdarskys run sadly
    Ed Brubaker’s Captain America was good, the run after that was not for me, never came back to captain America after that
    Read all of colors by Tim sale, beautiful but I am not sure if its for me
    Earth X, Old man Logan, etc - alternative dystopic realities are not really my jam, only Peter David's Maestro worked
    Inhumans by Paul Jenkins - not for me
    Marvel 1602 - not for me
    Ewings Venom and X-men stuff - I lover immortal hulk, so was bummed when neither worked for me.
    Tried some Carnage/Symbiote runs and crossovers, but it wasn't for me as well
    Spider-verse's - not for me
    Spider-man's life story - it was fun
    Vision by Tom King - not for me
    Moonknight (2016) - not for me
    Never tried Thor or Avengers, just doesn't seem like something up my alley, but maybe you have a suggestion which could rock my world?
    Tried getting into F4 a few times with Hickman, and while it was ok, it didn't really grip me after the first "solve everything" arc ends.

I am sure I missed something, but any advice is appreciated! Thank you so much!

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

Have slowly been reading through Avengers vol 1 on the Marvel Unlimited app. Just finished the first 100 issues. Man such a different time. Starting to prefer issues like this that are one and done, Maybe at most 2 parts. Everything now has to fit in a trade. So many memorable moments. I've listed some of my favorite issues out of it. Things that come to mind

Issue 1- legendary we see the team unite. Sadly Hulk wouldn't be a main stay.

Issue 4- Cap out of the ice and into the frying pan with the Avengers

Issue 15- final showdown with Zemo and the Masters of Evil after several encounters. The end of the main line up for a long time.

Issue 16- Cap is now leader with new recruits of reformed villians Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch along with the bowman with an attitude Hawkeye.

Issues 23/24 The Avengers face off with Kang in the future. Kang's wife Ravona is introduced

Issue 54- New Masters of Evil. First Apperance of Ultron

Issue 57- Behold Vision! His first appearance. Slowly became the heart of the team.

Issues 59/60- First Yellow Jacket. Broken down mentally Hank Pym. Issue 60 is his wedding to Janet.

Issue 70/71- Kang returns! He plays a deadly game with the Grand Master, the Avengers against The Squadron Sinister who are clearly evil versions of the Justice League.

Issue 73/74 Black Panther vs the Sons of the Serpent. To me this story is a good marker for the start of the Bronze age

Issue 85/85- The Avengers stranded on another Earth with the Squadron Superme the Justice League ananoluges, this time good and not evil. These issues were loosely used for the inspiration of a Justice League animated episode Legends many years later

Issue 100- Huge battle on Olympus to save Hercules. Anyone who's been an Avenger at this point is in this issue

Annual 2- present day Avengers are sent to an earth where a Kang variant had mind controlled the original Avengers line up to take over. It's past vs present Avenegrs. Such a fun read.

Finally Avengers 89-97 Kree Skrull war the closest thing to me for a modern type event. Cap, Ironman and Thor finally return to full active duty all at the same time.

Anyway I'm really enjoying it. Here's to the next 100 issues.

Last edited by comicstar100; 05-24-2024 at 01:00 PM.

^^^Excellent list! But, don't forget about...

Issue 83 - 1st appearance of The Lady Liberators (XD)

Last edited by K7P5V; 05-26-2024 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.
    "Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    ^^^Excellent list! But, don't forget about...

Issue 83 - 1st appearance of The Lady Liberators (XD)

That was a fun issue. I remember being bothered by Valkyrie's origin at the time though