Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

As somebody that started reading Marvel a year ago.... I found the main Avengers title to be tough going, with a lot of continuity and places and characters I was unfamiliar with that it didn't really bother to introduce, and gave up on it. Avengers Assemble, which finished up a couple months ago, was a lot easier to get into. I've read the first few issues of All-New X-Men, and while there's some time-travel stuff that's a little confusing, it didn't seem too continuity-heavy and I think it could be a good jumping-on point.

Personally, I'll second the recommendation of Mighty Avengers. It's a new team of more... B-list heroes, I guess, so they introduce everybody and there's not a lot of old continuity. I also found some of the new Marvel Now solo titles to be easier to get into. I'm reading Captain Marvel, Ms Marvel, Loki:Agent of Asgard, She-Hulk, and Hawkeye.

If you want to get caught up on older stuff and don't mind reading comics on your computer/tablet/phone, Marvel has a service called Marvel Unlimited, where you can read a whole lot of comics (nothing newer than 6 months ago) for $10/month.

I'd check out Inhuman over X-Men. To me it seems like Marvel's effort to make thematically similar book but with a lot of the years of added nonsense and screwy continuity stripped away.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Just as Lt. trouble I also began reading comics about a year ago. But I went for the Ultimate Universe and got hooked.

The Ultimate Universe is a "parallel universe" to the "normal" marvel universe. It started back in 2000 and offered a modern take on all the characters, the most different are Thor and the origins of the fantastic four.

The only two books I am reading in the "normal" universe are Amazing Spider-man (who doesn't like spidey?) and mighty avengers I tried to get started on X-men, but time travel stories gives me headache.

All-New Member

Default Returning to MARVEL. What should I be reading?

Most my life I'd been a a MARVEL guy. New 52 gave me a chance to jump ship and follow stories head-on with DC for the first time. I had been away from comics in general for a while.

I'm reading Batman, Superman, Aquaman, and Justice League.

For some time, I've considered jumping back into MARVEL and choosing a few books to follow regularly. Spider-Man is an easy choice (although whether I'll backlog and read all Superior first is another thread discussion I started altogether). As for what else, I need some advice. What's really good right now. What's going to not be too much money/trouble to jump into?

THANKS!

It just depends on how heavy you want the continuity to be for the most part.

If you want books that are quick to get into though:

Elektra
    She-Hulk
    Black Widow
    Mighty Avengers
    Superior Foes of Spider-Man

I am really enjoying Black Widow. I don't know much about Natasha, other than what is on Wikipedia, but I don't feel lost at all. Edmundson is giving clear and consise reasons for why Natasha is doing what she is in the book, without cluttering it up with a lot of information that could be confusing.
    And Phil Noto's art is just gorgeous.

Also enjoying Ms. Marvel and it is also really easy to get into. Kamala Khan is a cool and interesting and fun character so far. The art is different, but fits the book.

My bad, forgot to mention Ms. Marvel as well. That's a well written book.

Ultimate Member

So many possibilities:

-Black Widow.
    -Ms. Marvel.
    -Captain Marvel.
    -Magneto.
    -She-Hulk.
    -Elektra.
    -New Warriors.
    -All-New X-Factor.
    -etc.

Although if you don't want to be bogged down with a ton of continuity, then I'd suggest:

-Black Widow.
    -Ms. Marvel.
    -Captain Marvel.
    -She-Hulk.
    -Elektra.

Start with those.

Heey Peeps: The Hulk's greatest Hits?
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Amazing Member

I just saw a new Thunderbolts team has debuted in Punisher and I want to read about their formation.

So question is, how far do I need to go back in the run to get the full story? It looks like Zemo has been around for a while in the series, so am I looking at issue #1?

BANNED

I was hoping for some guidance...I heard of a newer(?) storyline in which Thanos returns from the dead through possession (that's as far as I want to go with the description for spoiler purposes) and it onvolvs the GotG...can anybody piece together what issues/collections/omnibuses a fan like myself might be able to capture this story arch?

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Heey Peeps: The Hulk's greatest Hits?
    Peter David's run for starters.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Peter David's run for starters.
    Agreed. You can never go wrong with PAD.

I'm looking for some Johnny Storm focused books. Any recommendations?

Default Where to start with Daredevil?

If you've never read and are new to the character, what are some trades I should start out with.

I'm thinking Frank Miller's Man Without Fear and Born Again? Would Born Again make sense to a new reader?