Super Moderator

Default In Your Face Jam - Jun 3, 2015

Of course lifelong Star Wars superfan Brett White has more than a thousand words to say about the retcon in Marvel's "Star Wars" #6.

Full article here.

Amazing Member

"I need all the distractions I can get until my body levels up."

That is just delightfully geeky.

For real though, you hit the nail on the head. Aaron needed something to foster that sexual tension without breaking it.

There's, what, at least three or four years between now and Episode V? A lot of things can happen during that time that would be water under the bridge by then.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

BANNED

I haven't paid attention to the fan reaction yet and don't plan to but the idea that this would upset anyone is an eye-roller. It's a cool new wrinkle to Han's history and a great complication for Han and Leia's development as a couple. And it gives this series (which, it should be said, has been hugely enjoyable) something it needed - the ability to truly surprise SW fans. Given that, how the existence of Sana Solo would actually upset anyone is hard to figure. Then again, a lot of fans are dumb asses.

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Marvel has an original idea for Star Wars.

Fan reaction: NOOO HAN AND LEIA MY CHILDHOOD THIS ISN'T CANON LEGENDS IS CANON DON'T CHANGE IT HAN'S A SMUGGLER NOT A HUSBAND HE GETS MARRIED AFTER RETURN OF THE JEDI IN THE COURTSHIP OF PRINCESS LEIA
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out
    Review column on Doctor Who fansite kasterborous.com
    CBR's LGBT Community

Spectacular Member

In turning the Sana Solo reveal over in my head, I've come to understand one thing: Jason Aaron had to do this. Well, he had to do something. He can show us the first time the Rebels see a Chicken Walker and he can depict the second time Luke sees Vader, that's fine. All of that stuff is inconsequential compared to writing Han and Leia's first kiss. That's in "Empire Strikes Back," period. So, knowing that he has to write an ongoing series where the only two characters with romantic tension can't get to smooching, Aaron had to introduce some element to keep them apart until the perfect time comes -- which is on the Falcon in "Empire." I mean really, which retcon would be more horrifying for Han/Leia fans: Han being married or their iconic kiss in "Empire" getting bumped down to their second kiss because nothing in the comics was keeping them apart? I'll take the former over the latter, y'all.
    ^THIS

Honestly after my initial mind exploding due to the revelation my first thought was this has gotta be a Mrs Reynolds type gag to keep Han and Leia apart and build up even more tension in the 3 years between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back so when that kiss finally happens it's all the more amazing.

Now to paraphrase Lando: Come on Jason Aaron old buddy, don't let me down.
    Current Pull List (updated for ANAD): Star Wars □ Darth Vader □ Lando □ Chewbacca □ Kanan □ uh... alot of ANAD but I still have decided what yet, lol

Curious. Hopefully this will see an animated adaptation.

Is that a last-page reveal (it looks like a last-page reveal)? Because that reads as the classic 1980's scoundrel/con-artist "marriage" reveal. Folks need to remember how often the plot of sitcoms or movies thirty years ago involved scam marriages to get things like green cards or inheritances. Revealing that Han, in his pre-Rebel smuggler days was technically married doesn't mean that he was involved in a relationship, but rather (in the sort of storytelling that STAR WARS stems from) means that we're in for a con-gone-wrong that he either forgot or tried to forget and that a certain woman now won't let him forget...

BANNED

why would he assume hoth was the first time they've seen the walker?
    they had versions of them in the clone wars already

I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I haven't paid attention to the fan reaction yet and don't plan to but the idea that this would upset anyone is an eye-roller. It's a cool new wrinkle to Han's history and a great complication for Han and Leia's development as a couple. And it gives this series (which, it should be said, has been hugely enjoyable) something it needed - the ability to truly surprise SW fans. Given that, how the existence of Sana Solo would actually upset anyone is hard to figure. Then again, a lot of fans are dumb asses.
    Check out this thread and be amazed.

"Star Wars" Comic Expands Universe with Major Surprise
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Indestructible Man View Post
    Is that a last-page reveal (it looks like a last-page reveal)? Because that reads as the classic 1980's scoundrel/con-artist "marriage" reveal. Folks need to remember how often the plot of sitcoms or movies thirty years ago involved scam marriages to get things like green cards or inheritances. Revealing that Han, in his pre-Rebel smuggler days was technically married doesn't mean that he was involved in a relationship, but rather (in the sort of storytelling that STAR WARS stems from) means that we're in for a con-gone-wrong that he either forgot or tried to forget and that a certain woman now won't let him forget...
    It's actually about 5 pages before the last page.
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out
    Review column on Doctor Who fansite kasterborous.com
    CBR's LGBT Community