Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    More human than human thetrellan's Avatar

Default Has anyone noticed the LSH problem, or does no one care about gaping plot holes anymore? SPOILERS

Everywhere Booster bounces around, his time travel and/or chronal radiation temporarily give heroes near him their powers back. In addition, he and his friends are able to escape the domes using time travel.

All this is fine, except for the fact that he gets his time travel technology from the the 30th century, and specifically from Brainiac 5! Brainy invented the time sphere, did he not?

So why are not one but two Legions hoplessly trapped behind domes without their powers? Did no one think to escape using a T sphere in the entire year they were all stuck? And if the spheres were disabled by the domes, they why is Booster's group able to use the same tech to move around freely?

Then again, this is just the latest in a mountain of Convergence inconsistencies, I suppose.
    Last edited by thetrellan; 05-31-2015 at 03:54 PM.

I think it also involved him gaining cronal energy by skipping around the multiverse

Rip also said time masters could avoid or null the domes which is why they were trapped underground. Booster and his crew are time masters not captured
    Last edited by Darth Kal-el; 05-31-2015 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    I think it also involved him gaining cronal energy by skipping around the multiverse

Rip also said time masters could avoid or null the domes which is why they were trapped underground. Booster and his crew are time masters not captured
    It was the older BG who had built up massive chronal energy. He wasn't around when the Legion used their powers, N52 Booster was.

Rip said Booster's latent chronal energy was probably neutralizing the dome's power squelching effect. But this was said to the New 52 Booster, who has traveled through time once. The Legion did this on a regular basis, and should have tons more chronal energy than BG. If latent chronal energy was behind it, their powers should have remained intact this whole time.

Also, Rip said simply that time travelers were threats, not time masters. That should include the Legion more than those villains from Infinity Inc. Why were they not imprisoned with the others from Skartaris?

And hey, if Rip can figure how to use time travel to escape the domes, how long do you think this should stump Brainiac 5?
    Last edited by thetrellan; 06-01-2015 at 02:08 PM.

BANNED

Perhaps it has something to do with chronal energy affecting natives to the dome vs. chronal energy carried for elements foreign to the dome. That is, Brainiac was able to calibrate each dome to its residents.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Perhaps it has something to do with chronal energy affecting natives to the dome vs. chronal energy carried for elements foreign to the dome. That is, Brainiac was able to calibrate each dome to its residents.
    Give that man a no-prize!

Meh, sounds far-fetched to me. But so does the idea of Brainiac actually being sneaky when he steals a city. Future's End (and in Action Comics a few years ago) had it as a huge, disruptive process that you couldn't possibly miss. Plus, if Brainiac had the ability to neutralize everyone's powers, then why didn't he use it on Superman all those millions of time he (or an aspect thereof) crossed the Big Blue Boy Scout?

The story doesn't really bear up to close scrutiny. But I like your "chronal callibration" hypothesis. It fits the Booster Gold influence pretty well.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I always just figured Rip Hunter updated Boosters time travel tech so that it was way beyond what he originally used.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thetrellan View Post
    Give that man a no-prize!

Meh, sounds far-fetched to me. But so does the idea of Brainiac actually being sneaky when he steals a city. Future's End (and in Action Comics a few years ago) had it as a huge, disruptive process that you couldn't possibly miss. Plus, if Brainiac had the ability to neutralize everyone's powers, then why didn't he use it on Superman all those millions of time he (or an aspect thereof) crossed the Big Blue Boy Scout?
    O.G. Brainiac never passed that bit of tech down to his peeps. Actually, did he even realize he was making little copies all that time?

Or it requires some energy only found on the "Convergence" planet.

O.G. Brainiac never passed that bit of tech down to his peeps. Actually, did he even realize he was making little copies all that time?
    That was OGB in Future's end. Even in the middle of a robot apocalypse he was impossible to miss.
    Or it requires some energy only found on the "Convergence" planet.
    Something that worked on everyone? Brainiac's secret weapon is serendipity?

BANNED

That was OGB in Future's end. Even in the middle of a robot apocalypse he was impossible to miss.Something that worked on everyone? Brainiac's secret weapon is serendipity?
    Maybe the fact that the planet had the ability to sap powers is WHY Brainiac chose it. And why he couldn't use it anywhere else.
    Last edited by GlennSimpson; 06-02-2015 at 11:39 AM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Is Booster Gold from our future? The only taste of a proper LEGION we've gotten is in Morrison's ACTION COMICS (and Lemire's JLU? I didn't read that).

The Legion of Paul Levitz's run, was sent to Earth 2 so it therefore never will exist right?

My head hurts already.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    The Legion of Paul Levitz's run, was sent to Earth 2 so it therefore never will exist right?

My head hurts already.
    Ouch. My head hurts too.

Well, I guess the Levitz Legion was only actually sent to an Earth where Steppenwolf sent Superman to his doom. That could have happened in any number of parallel Earths, not just the late lamented Earth 2.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jules View Post
    Ouch. My head hurts too.

Well, I guess the Levitz Legion was only actually sent to an Earth where Steppenwolf sent Superman to his doom. That could have happened in any number of parallel Earths, not just the late lamented Earth 2.
    Yeah, fair enough.

So many dead Supermen, but that ties into that horrible issue Pak wrote about Darkseid. Oy.

Maybe the fact that the planet had the ability to sap powers is WHY Brainiac chose it. And why he couldn't use it anywhere else.
    Serendipity- or a shameless reliance on coincidence- is a tried and true comic book tradition. But if planet had that ability then removing the domes would not return powers.

BANNED

Serendipity- or a shameless reliance on coincidence- is a tried and true comic book tradition. But if planet had that ability then removing the domes would not return powers.
    It made it possible, not that it couldn't be avoided. The domes may have focused a native energy. No dome, and not enough energy to block the powers. Or it only worked in conjunction with other energy emitted by the domes.

I don't know that it's "coincidence" - he may have searched a long time for the best planet to house his cities.

It made it possible, not that it couldn't be avoided. The domes may have focused a native energy. No dome, and not enough energy to block the powers. Or it only worked in conjunction with other energy emitted by the domes.
    Sound thinking, given the original silver age bottle city must have filtered normal light into red sunlight. Possibly even the space Telos occupied had something to do with it.
    I don't know that it's "coincidence" - he may have searched a long time for the best planet to house his cities.
    I said serendipity at first, but you're right. A being as smart as Brainiac probably wouldn't rely on luck. He would have deduced what he needed.