Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hey there CBR. Before the reset I was SurfDUI since 2006.

Outside of what I run across or skim past here know little to nothing of new comics, specifically post approx mid 2000's. I'm an 80's kid, when I started collecting comics they were 75 cents, continuity was strong and the extent of the comic based movies were Chris Reeve as Superman and Dick Durock (R.I.P.) was Swamp Thing. Now books are 4 bucks, Iron Man (my fav) has been in damn near half a dozen movies and re-boots have been happening for 15+ years now. Crazy.

Also a huge sports guy and that's what I remember most from CBR back when. I'm an old school Indianapolis COLTS, Indiana Pacers and Chicago Cubs fan. How bout that Andrew Luck huh, huh? Actually I could rap about Raider football or the new college playoff format all day.

I'm stuck waist deep in silver, bronze and some modern age 616 cannon so I just like to read about what folks are reading these days. The affluence of the comic medium into movies and TV is icing on my old cake.

Lata

Sup CBR?

I'm Doug, and I am a comics addict. I don't know that in going to get much help for that here though.

I loved me some comics as a kid, but a combination of parental disapproval, limited funds, and no easy access to a comic shop where I lived led to an extended hiatus - eventually it seemed like there was just too much to catch up on to jump back in, and I had other hobbies. Then my favorite games journalist started writing comics. Kieron Gillen's Phonogram was the first new comic I bought in ages, followed by Beta Ray Bill: Godhunter. Then came Journey Into Mystery and the hook was set deep. Regular visits to the comic shop led to spending way too much money on trades to catch up on everything I'd missed - Immortal Iron Fist, Hickman's Fantastic Four, Remender's UXF, etc

I gave the New 52 a try, I really did. None of what I tried really clicked for me, which was a shame, as young me who loved comics was super into Superman and Batman.

Marvel Now, though. That was a problem. An expensive, highly enjoyable problem. It was also the first time I ever set up a pull list.

And then there's Image. Holy shit, Image. I don't really like TWD or Invincible, or Kirkman in general, but if his massive success is what allows Image to take chances on stuff like Sex Criminals and Pretty Deadly and Three and Velvet I'm willing to crushingly accept other people liking them

Finally, a shout out to Strange Adventures of Halifax, Nova Scotia, the best comic shop on the world
    Last edited by Fearghaill; 05-01-2014 at 03:54 AM. Reason: fixing phone keyboard typos

BANNED

'Sup CBR. I am Jay. I am 21 years old. Born and raised in Brooklyn, New York. I'm a HUGE comic book fan. I read everything from Invincible to Green Arrow to X-Men to The Shadow. The first comic book that I ever picked up was Batgirl, back when Cassandra Cain took the mantle, became a comic book fan ever since. Other than that I have a girlfriend who is a big time Flash fangirl, I'm in school studying to be a music producer. I love writing. I try to keep an open mind when it comes to new ideas in the CB community. Look forward to meeting you all again lol.

Hello CBR, FrenchGemini here!

23-year-old in his last year of Engineering school (and hunting for an internship), living in Paris for now. First introduction to anything comic-related? Like a lot of people, I guess, Batman The Animated Series (still have some episodes handy, for when I feel nostalgic). Then I got into reading comics thanks to Grant Morrison's Batman, and devoured about anything for a while. These days though, I mostly stick to movies, animated or not (and Arrow. That series is freakin' awesome), the main exception being Mark Waid's run on Daredevil. Also some Anime and Manga (mainly Rurouni Kenshin, Saint Seiya and City Hunter)

Outside of comics, movies and my studies, one of my main interests is learning martial arts, and strengthening my body to become better at it. Otherwise, I like reading books about psychology, NLP, that kind of stuff.

You'll find me mainly around the Rumbles board, and occasionally the Batman board.
    Last edited by FrenchGemini; 05-01-2014 at 06:18 AM.

OzBat! here. or Sideswipe. or CraigHS. or whichever name I was using from any point in CBR's history you care to choose. Why? Because I am that damn old. I've been here longer than the mythical Fly on the Wall, that's how dang ancient I am. Kingdom Come Message Boards prehistoric, baby! My PC is soooo old, it still shows the original purple and orange speech bubbles in the background until a couple of hours after boot-up, and then it complains that we aren't using white text on a black background any more and shuts down.

It's too much work to move off my rocker to shout at the kids these days, so I mostly lurk. But I am still around.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchGemini View Post
    23-year-old in his last year of Engineering school (and hunting for an internship), living in Paris for now. First introduction to anything comic-related? Like a lot of people, I guess, Batman The Animated Series (still have some episodes handy, for when I feel nostalgic). Then I got into reading comics thanks to Grant Morrison's Batman, and devoured about anything for a while. These days though, I mostly stick to movies, animated or not (and Arrow. That series is freakin' awesome), the main exception being Mark Waid's run on Daredevil.
    If you want one little "nudge" to try one more Marvel series; Superior Foes of Spiderman recently did a 'homage' issue to "Almost Gott'em" from Batman: the Animated Series (where the villains sit around and talk about how they almost got Batman, or in this case Hercules). It was AWESOME! :smile:

I'm a 26 year old by the name of Scott, but I post under the name The Dog, which I started using way back in 2008 when I was a fan of Dog The Bounty Hunter. I've long since lost interest in that, but I liked the name enough that I keep using it in various forms wherever I go (most popular being The Dog Sage and The Dog Sannin).
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

I'm Dingo, Gary Edwards. I used to frequent these boards a few years back. Old timers may remember me. I live down under and work at Gestalt Comics.

Hello. My name is Moira, named after MacTaggert. I spent most of my youth resisting the comic book call of my parents until late high school. I'm in my early twenties, I live & attend grad school in Chicago, and I've always enjoyed living near-but-never-visiting the beaches of Lake Michigan.

I started reading through indies, developed into near-exclusively DC, now reading near-exclusively Marvel & more indies.

Extraordinary Member

DebkoX here, been going here for two years now. 15, living in London, ready to tackle my exams. I love comics, started in 2012 when I realised I needed a hobby. Never looked back! Mostly Marvel! 98% Marvel, 2% Image.
    I enjoy studying (Yeah, you've read that right! And I've made it a hobby) I also love movies, I hope to work in film someday. My other hobbies include going out and generally enjoying life and being positive.
    Last edited by DebkoX; 05-01-2014 at 10:02 AM.

BANNED

Legato here, been a member of this fine community for over a decade now. Fourteen years to be exact. The Christopher Reeves Superman films was my first exposure to anything superheroish and I've been collecting comics ever since. First it was DC then I started collecting Marvel comics around the mid 90's. Currently I'm branching out to other comic companies beyond the big two like Image's Invincible and a few other indies.

Writer/Editor/Superhero Marc Lombardi's Avatar

I'm Marc. I'm over 40 (just barely) but act much younger. Been a comic fan off and on since I was 13.

I'm the promotions & social media coordinator for Shadowline Comics (Image). Have been doing that for a number of years. You may see my name in some of the books under Promotions or Communications but really it just means I run the website and tweet a lot.

I've also been an Editor with GrayHaven Comics for a couple years now, handle some of the production on the books, help out as a Talent Acquisition coordinator and have written a number of stories in the various anthologies that GrayHaven has published -- including one in the anti-bullying graphic novel YOU ARE NOT ALONE (a high point in my comic career).

I'm a big supporter of many of Image's books. I haven't read anything from DC in a while (not including Vertigo). Been slowly getting into some Marvel titles. But for the most part I'm an Image & indie comic freak.

I'm married, live in Eastern PA just outside of Philly and have four cats (and a foster cat). My wife and I do cat rescue/rehabilitation/rehoming. I'm also part of a local community council that coordinates a Short Film Festival and a Pet Fair every year.
    Writer / Editor / Production / Talent Acquisition - www.grayhavencomics.com
    Promotions/Social Media - www.shadowlineonline.com
    Twitter - @marclombardi

All-New Member

Hi, I'm from Liverpool England I'm 29 years old and I just love Marvel, although I do enjoy reading/watching the odd DC thing every now and then (I am an 'Arrow' fan and I'm looking forward to the new 'Flash' series).

My top characters in Marvel are Captain America, Sharon Carter (in her more cheery 1960s-1970s version) Sue Storm/Richards, Sin, Namor, Spider Man, Thor, Lady Sif, Prof X and Magneto.

Although I mostly prefer the old school Marvel Comics (due to the fact that most of my graphic novels are of the old stuff) I do also enjoy some of the more recent stuff collected in 'The Ultimate Graphic Novels Collection' and the 'Marvel's Mightiest Heroes' part works.

Needless to say as I'm a Cap fan I have read and very much enjoyed the Ed Burbaker run.

I'm also something of a long term 'Doctor Who' fan as I have enjoyed watching the program since 1997 (as reruns) and also the current version (plus spin offs) and I'm also a casual 'Star Trek' and 'Star Wars' Fan.

Cheers

My names Rob and I used to post on CBR until around when YABS was shut down. I still lurked a bit but didn't post for years. While I'll still mostly lurk do expect me to post more often from now on (still just only once in a while though).
    Originally Registered to old CBR March 2008. Old post count was 3,216.

I'm Dom, 21 years old, from Scotland. I like reading the ol' funny books. I love DnA Cosmic Marvel, Daredevil, everything about the DC Universe, Fatale, Hellboy and the BPRD, etc. Usually post on /co/ but decided it'd be nice to post somewhere with a name for once. See you around.