Amazing Member

Default Hyperion Issue 01 - review and spoilers

'HYPERION IS BACK! Or is he? The high-powered hero is hiding in plain sight, driving a truck across the U.S. to learn about the country he has adopted. Along the way, he picks up a lone runaway named Doll, who has more baggage than he anticipated. Doll is in danger, chased by a pack of freaks and lunatics known as THE CARNIES. Will Hyperion reveal himself to save her? Maybe! Will he use a tractor trailer as a baseball bat? Probably!'

I remember squadorn supreme , I remember intially thinking wow a JLA rip off , remembering how I slowly came to love reading it.

Hyperion was the Superman I never had in Marvel , now The Blue Marvel , Sentinal , Hyperion seem to fit the role Clark has.

I dont really read Avengers , did he have much to do ? no idea , but I thought I would pick this up , and boy I put it down quickly.

Spoilery section
    How many times has a circus/carnival of crime been used as antagonists , we even had the internal dialogue of the POV character telling us who they are....weak plot devices such as the almost monosylabbic Strongman and the crazed Benny....

All Hyperion wants to do is get away , find himself , but no he is recognised as a hero WTF.

I will read this again , see if it improves , but I can see this being a canned by issue 6 book that Marvel puts out on the coat tails of a reboot/event to see if it sticks....it wont

i'm not crazy about the Mad Max type stuff. how are these guys gonna be a threat to Hyperion?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    i'm not crazy about the Mad Max type stuff. how are these guys gonna be a threat to Hyperion?
    Hyperion's magic weakness seems to be an actual weakness. As in, it's a weakness to Superman because he's susceptible to it, not necessarily because it makes him weaker to it than everyone else. Hyperion's reaction to magic does make it seem like he's way weaker to it than everyone else, so probably that.

Not enough Hyperion is, imo, the actual problem with the first book. I'd rather the chase scene had been saved for the next issue and we got some work put in with both of Doll and Hype characters. Instead, Hype comes off as too stiff, quiet, and fankly, blank. Not the best way to introduce your protagonist. Granted, maybe he just doesn't fully have this "regular guy" thing down.

Why is he wearing that weird diaper again? Looks ridiculous.

Is it my imagination or is it heavily implied that Doll is trans? There seems to be a lot of emphasis on her sex: in her name, and in how she is referred to by everyone else, and she is drawn distinctly ambiguous. Even her first thoughts about Hyperion bench pressing three of her could be seen as a subtle nod that she is eschewing masculinity entirely. Maybe it's just post-feminist subtext but it feels too overt. The 'girl looking for a hero' story may be being subverted.

Maybe I am just grasping at something to make the story remotely interesting. Not sure I will be revisiting this story unless something enlivens it and pulls it out of the apparent generic rut. A trans sidekick that is less of a heroine in distress and more a strong figure that has been worn down through being exploited, and probably has powers, could make it more interesting.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-01-2016 at 05:33 AM.

Didn't find it very interesting due to lack of Hyperion in it and creative team not doing anything thats remotely unique or interesting.

Also, I'm not sure how Doll being trans would make it more interesting. She/he is still stereotypical kid with mysterious past who is running away from someone. We have seen that being played out thousands of times and adding extra flavour is hardly going to save it.

On the plus side, Hyperion is at least not going around destroying anymore cities. So that's probably a good step in the right direction for him.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Didn't find it very interesting due to lack of Hyperion in it and creative team not doing anything thats remotely unique or interesting.

Also, I'm not sure how Doll being trans would make it more interesting. She/he is still stereotypical kid with mysterious past who is running away from someone. We have seen that being played out thousands of times and adding extra flavour is hardly going to save it.
    Well yes, but it could be an indication of something more interesting if it was handled well. It could even indicate that the first issue will not be representative of the story. But you sound as enthusiastic as I am right now. This issue doesn't promise interest just around the corner, it just hints in the mildest tones there may be a subtle twist.