Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Death of Hawkman #1 Discussion

So, this was pretty good. I don't read much of these characters but they do a pretty good job of introducing you to Adam, liked the art too. I'm kind of confused though, did Hawkman die in Justice League United? Did he come back? Anyway, looking forward to next issue!

Always Rakzo

Thought this was okay. Fun dialogue and character moments but it felt really lacking in content.

Nice art from Lopresti.

Wasn't this solicited with a completely different title? Seems tacky.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    Wasn't this solicited with a completely different title? Seems tacky.
    Not really. They wanted to surprise fans and build hype for sales. Death Of Hawkman is very appropriate for multiple reasons. The whole "death and rebirth" cycle is literally the official origin for Hawkman and Hawkgirl just as it has been for over a decade now.

Besides, this mini-series makes it obvious what comes next: either Hawkman in JSA Rebirth or a full-fledged Hawkman Rebirth. Either one is fine with me and I'm definitely buying & reading this in preparation for one of those 2 outcomes.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

The Hawks always seem to be dying. Death of X (Cyclops) over at Marvel, and Death of Hawkman at DC. Difference is, i don't think anyone cares about Carter Hall like they care about Scott Summers.

It felt like they were taking the designs from JLU, at least as far as Adam, Alanna, and Rann are concerned, but writing them as if they were their classic selves rather then the versions Lemire created.

Though I guess they did reference Adam's tenure on the JLU with Animal Man and Green Arrow.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Even though it was primarily set up, I found the first issue to be enjoyable overall. I hope issue 2 will balance things out by focusing more on Hawkman though.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    The Hawks always seem to be dying. Death of X (Cyclops) over at Marvel, and Death of Hawkman at DC. Difference is, i don't think anyone cares about Carter Hall like they care about Scott Summers.
    People cared about Katar Hol more and he was everywhere in the 70's and 80's. In modern times at least, "Carter Hall" has really just been one mess after another. So much so that he became separated from his more popular mate, a thing that didn't even seem possible back in the Satellite JLA years. He even got the Geoff Johns 'retcon/rebirth' treatment and that was overwritten in a hot minute. They keep reinventing this Carter Hall guy. I kind of wish they'd give Katar another chance. Since this story is in outer space maybe they are.

I am aware that Carter is the original from the JSA but we're not obsessed with retconning Alan or Ted or Jay so why Carter?

Was Alanna re-retconned back into being from Rann and Sardath's daugther? From what I recall, I thought the New 52 version was just a human who was a grad student under Adam Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    Was Alanna re-retconned back into being from Rann and Sardath's daugther? From what I recall, I thought the New 52 version was just a human who was a grad student under Adam Strange.
    From the last issue of Justice League United: she's a half-Rannian, half-terrestrial hybrid conceived by Sardath and a human woman during the former's sojourn on Earth.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Can someone explain to me who Hawkman is these days? I only read his appearances in Johns's JLA, where he left little impression aside from being Wolverine with wings.

Wasn't the New 52 version Katar Hol, who was a fugitive from Thanagar that fled to Earth under the identity of Carter Hall? Was there a Hawkgirl or Hawkwoman? Anything about Egyptian reincarnation this time around?

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

I rather enjoyed this, although through the first issue anyway a more appropriate title for the series would be "The Adventures of Adam Strange". I assume we'll get a lot more Hawkman next issue

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blackest Knight View Post
    Not really. They wanted to surprise fans and build hype for sales. Death Of Hawkman is very appropriate for multiple reasons. The whole "death and rebirth" cycle is literally the official origin for Hawkman and Hawkgirl just as it has been for over a decade now.

Besides, this mini-series makes it obvious what comes next: either Hawkman in JSA Rebirth or a full-fledged Hawkman Rebirth. Either one is fine with me and I'm definitely buying & reading this in preparation for one of those 2 outcomes.
    Apparently some stores got shorted on this one and it is on back order. The problem I originally posted about was not the problem. Not sure why the shorting occurred however.
    Last edited by alton; 10-06-2016 at 12:03 PM.

after reading issue 1, i would be extremely excited for an adam strange adventure book from andreyko and lopestri

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Can someone explain to me who Hawkman is these days? I only read his appearances in Johns's JLA, where he left little impression aside from being Wolverine with wings.

Wasn't the New 52 version Katar Hol, who was a fugitive from Thanagar that fled to Earth under the identity of Carter Hall? Was there a Hawkgirl or Hawkwoman? Anything about Egyptian reincarnation this time around?
    I think you should just assume he's "Katar Hol: Thanagarian Space Cop" going into the book.