Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #117
Peter Parker is missing as a result of events in Web of Spider-Man. The Black Cat tries to pay Doctor Strange a visit. Alex, the super-powered kid, is still on the run after accidentally killing his father. Things are awkward at the Robertson residence because Randy got married to a white girl without telling his parents. The Black Cat also has a confrontation with the Foreigner. All of these stories intersect through an accidental power outage.
I like the idea of occasional issues where we see what’s going on with ongoing subplots, but Peter Parker’s mostly missing. He doesn’t have to be believed dead for that to work. I know Bendis would have occasional spotlights on side-characters, like Aunt May visiting a psychiatrist, and that Geoff Johns had a gimmick in the Flash (20+ years ago at this point) of spotlight issues on bad guys once or twice a year.
I don’t really care for the Black Cat’s new costume, although there is a good reveal about it. The developments with Foreigner are more intriguing, and changes to her powers have potential. The Robertson story is relatively lightweight, in that these are complex discussions within a family that have to be conveyed in about four pages in a comic book. Some smaller moments work, like a near-accident with a dart and a twist with a heimlich maneuver. I am sold on Alex’s story, which takes some dark twists, with black humor and pedophiles who get turned into ash.
B+

Web of Spider-Man #18
Peter arrives at Mary Jane’s doorstep after disappearing for a few days, and explains what he’s been up to since his encounter with Magma. Part of the answer is simple: his costume was torn, and his webshooters were damaged, so he had to find his way from Rural Appalachia. He gets arrested stealing a blueberry pie, and a corrupt sheriff sends him to a rich man who hunts vagrants for sport.
Some specific aspects of the problem work. It makes sense that Peter will be sleep-deprived if sent to jail, because his spider-sense will go haywire. In 1986, it would be hard for Peter to get help if he has no ID and barely any clothes. It also makes sense that all of Peter’s practice with webbing means he can use mud rather well.
Some parts just don’t work. I get bothered by absurd coincidences, and Peter getting targeted by an insane rich murderer is too much. And I get that it’s easier to get a hold of people now, but I think Peter could have done more in the middle of nowhere (IE- if he could get into a place with a phone, he could call home.)
It seems a distinguishing feature of Silvestri’s art is that he’s willing to draw Peter without any clothes.
The cliffhanger is important, kicking off a long-running subplot of a menacing villain who can attack Peter without triggering his spider-sense.
B

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #118
Alex is still on the run after gaining superpowers and accidentally incinerating his dad. His teacher gets in touch with Peter to see if Spider-Man can help find Alex. Alex has an encounter with cops who confuse him for a mutant, which leads to overzealous SHIELD agents and Mandroids chasing down a kid.
Mike Zeck provides the breakdowns, with finishes by Bob McLeod and letterer Rick Parker. The reason I mention the art team is that they’re also responsible for Kraven’s Last Hunt. They’re fine here, although the work seems a bit cartoonier.
This is an interesting dilemma for Spider-Man, dealing with authorities who seem to be going way too far, but maybe a kid this dangerous should be taken out before he kills anyone else. There are some good character moments like Peter not correcting the teacher’s memory of meeting him and Spider-Man at the same time. Alex is believable as a kid who is in way over his head. The ending is sudden, but it does land.
A-

Alex’s story seems to come to an end here, but there’s a different conclusion in the pages of the Incredible Hulk, where Alex is illustrated by Todd McFarlane.