This is from the Homo Superior Podcast: Creator Crush

This is a quick transcription. Please excuse any mistakes.

X-MEN
X-Men is the strike team. Depending on how you look at it, depending on what character you ask, it's either a militia or cops. They're the team that goes out into the world to do what you might think of as classic X-Men business, but they are very still mutant-oriented, which is to say, kind of the three things that are on their to-do list at any given day are:

1) If a new mutant signal shows up on Cerebro, they've got the last Cerebro in existence, they go out, find that person, hopefully bring them into the fold, hopefully try to teach them what being a mutant is and entering into this culture and learning how to do better with the gifts that they've been given.

2) If mutants are being downtrodden somewhere, they're gonna go and kick some ass and keep that from happening.

And 3) If mutants are acting poorly somewhere, they're gonna go out and kick some ass and keep that from happening. But it's very, it's very mutant-centric. That's the beat. The analogy that I use is if Doctor Octopus was doing something, was robbing a bank two states over, that's not their problem. They're not gonna go to that probably. If Doctor Octopus was robbing a bank in their backyard, absolutely, they'd go punch him in the nose. But they're not. That's not what they're paying attention to. That's not their gig. Their gig is the mutant beat, mutant activities, and so forth. That book, tonally just because of Jed, it probably owes a little bit more to the Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely in terms of approach and style than the other books. It's not exactly what Grant and Quitely did, but if you read our first issue, and you'll see there's a couple of things visually that harken back, and, certainly, some of the characters harken back a little bit. And that's just clearly was a run that Jed really clicked to when it was coming out, and so he pulls a bunch of inspiration from that.
UNCANNY X-MEN
Uncanny X-Men, I always use the same phrase, which is outlaw heroes, and the Uncanny X-Men are basically centered around Rogue. In a world where all of the typical, obvious, past natural leader figures of mutantkind and of the X-Men are not really on the playing field anymore, Rogue, through a set of circumstances, has the realization that somebody has to keep the metaphorical dream of Professor X alive, and so that's what the Uncanny X-Men are. They're the X-Men as superheroes. They're out there, doing the sort of thing that classically a Professor X's X-Men would do, which is if Doctor Octopus was robbing a bank two states away, they would go out and fight him as well. They're on the fringes. They're not appointed by anybody. They're feared and hated, and so they are outlaw heroes. But they go out, fight the good fight, try to put forward a good face on mutantdom, and show their worth by being heroes.

Tonally, probably the closest thing is the Australian Outback X-Men days, if you think of that. And they're situated down in New Orleans. They're living in a big old antediluvian house owned by this family that has history with Gambit. And I think of it as sort of the opposite of the X-Mansion because it's barely got running water. And they've built, like, a makeshift danger room out in the woods out back with logs and engine blocks and things. They'll also have, and we haven't talked about this too much, but there'll be an influx of new characters here. There'll be four new, totally new, never-before-seen X-characters showing up here who'll be important and who'll be a driver of the thing as well.

It's got the most, particularly in the umbra of '97, the most classic-looking X-Men team. You stand them up, and it's Rogue, Gambit, Jubilee, Nightcrawler, Wolverine. Yeah. What you think of as the most classic X-Men, which, again, I know some X-readers have felt like, oh, we're just going back and doing the same '80s or '90s stories again." And the answer to that is no. No, we're not, but we're certainly drawing a certain amount of inspiration from that. And if X-Men '97 has taught us anything, it's that people really like those characters and wanna see them doing stuff. So we're gonna do that.
EXCEPTIONAL X-MEN
Exceptional X-Men is sort of like the third leg on the stool of what X-Men is about, and that is, X-Men as a school. School for Young Mutants, School for Superheroes. And it's a much more grounded, ground-level book, at least to start with. It's the ultimate Spider-Man of the X-Men books. It centers around Kate Pryde. It operates out of Chicago, and when we first tune in to what's going on there, Kate, in the aftermath of the Orchis war and the dissolution of Krakoa and so forth, kind of woke up the morning after that war was done and looked in the mirror and went, "I don't really like who I've become. I don't like all the things that I've been doing, and this is a bad environment for me, and I wanna get out." And so she's gone back to Chicago and left a mutant life completely behind. She's rooming with a friend that she knew from Stevie Hunter's dance class years ago. She's worked at a day job, at a bistro, and she is out. She is not getting involved in all this stuff. For all that, living in the world and living in Chicago, you can't help but have some sense of what the feeling is towards mutants and what's swirling around, good and bad. And that's it. So Kate's ready to live an ordinary life and deal with her sort of PTSD, but she ends up having a chance run-in with another young mutant who's in trouble.

And when push comes to shove, she can't help but get involved and help pull that character out of trouble. And from that point on, that character, like, dogs her. Like, "You know, you're the one who can show me what this is all about and teach me how to do it and what it is, and I really need your help." Inevitably, eventually, you know, she comes to the conclusion that, much as Professor X and the X-Men did for her when she was 13 years old and having headaches and phase them through the floor and stuff and didn't know what this was, these kids need somebody to teach them and train them about this and to do it in such a way that it won't effectively turn them into child soldiers, which is kind of what happened to Kitty across the long arc of history. And then Emma Frost shows up. And Emma goes, "Darling, I see you're training young mutants here. Relax. I've got it. You go back to your little life. This is my beat. I know how to do this."

So the driving engine of the book, really, as much as anything, is the Kate/Emma relationship as they both have different perspectives and different points of view. And for all that they've been friendly in recent years, they have a lot of history where they're not really all that friendly with one another. And then here too, we'll have a crew of new young, perspective X-Men mutant characters, who you will meet for the first time. And a couple of other familiar faces from the past will start showing up as we get a little deeper in.
X-FORCE
X-Force, in terms of description, is probably closest to Warren Ellis' Planetary. On the surface, it looks like a typical X-Force team, traditionally defined as the X-Men's kill squad. I'm kind of of the belief that the X-Men shouldn't have a kill squad, you know, for all that, our good guys go to Wolverine and say, "Hey, we need you to get a bunch of guys to, like, kill a bunch of people so our hands are clean and we could pretend to be moral while knowing about it and sanctioning it." That doesn't make any sense to me. Anyway, X-Force is centered around Forge. Forge has had a vision, and it's caused him to build something. The thing he's built predicts fracture points, moments and places in the world where a crisis is going to occur if something isn't done. Forge has assembled X-Force as the machine to deal with those crises. So the membership, who's in it, what they do, how they do it, is all built almost on an unconscious level because it's an outgrowth of Forge's maker power to put together the right elements to deal with the situation.

We'll also, fairly routinely in that book, have extra characters as guest stars and hangers-on in the way that Deadpool is in the first issue. But, you know, there's a larger thing going on. In that "Planetary" sense, not only are Forge and the X-Force characters getting involved in all these weird happenings around the world, but they begin to suss out the pattern behind them Da Vinci Code style. There's something bigger brewing behind all of that that we will slowly peel the onion layers back from and get to. But it's, you know, like, literally, they don't have headquarters. Their headquarters is a self-repairing Blackbird that they fly around on. They don't do wheels down unless something's going on. They're just on the go constantly.