Page 27 of 185 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I want another Storm ongoing solo.

Please let us have Marvel vs Capcom 5.

Please also give us a Marvel game similar to DOTA 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Byakko View Post
    Nobody makes a case about them because the Marvel writers don't actively try to make the readers pity and forgive them like they constantly do with Wanda.

Did she ever, even once, bring up a manifest of mutants who died becau

se they were in locations that required their mutant powers to work to survive? Did she even once try to find and talk to even one no-name mutant, not another Avenger or superhero, who suffered because she had a bad day?

She's only shown to be remorseful to her immediate friends and family, when what she did affected hundreds of thousands. They are faceless and nameless, but they collectively exist in-universe. At some point, there should have been a story about a no-name ex-mutant calling her out, and having her face that reality. But we never got that because Marvel is only interested in making her marketable again, and having that reality would make the 'forgiveness' arc harder to write.

You want people to forgive a character, make that character worth it. You can't just tell your readers it's all-good because her best friends says it's 'kay. The Avengers do not speak for the rest of the (ex)mutant population; which I think is what the X-Men's main argument was, and they are right.

If anything, all I see is a form of superhero cronyism and possibly a pussy-pass in play, it's insulting to everyone involved.
    She tried to restore Mutant powers in Children's Crusade but Patriot screwed up the spell. She was the one who gave Rictor his powers back in X Factor. AvX had her help reignite the Mutant gene with Hope something the Phoenix 5 never got around to doing. With the exception of Uncanny Avengers (which is not a very well written book) she has been shown as being remorseful of her actions almost to a fault.

And no Wanda is not the only character the writers try to make us feel sorry for in spite of the bad things she's done. They do it with Magneto, with Logan, with Emma (particularly in Fraction and Morrison's runs) with Scott with pretty much everybody. And most of those guys don't have the excuse of possession or villain induced insanity like Wanda does. Yet she actually feels sorrow for her actions and tries to atone for them whereas the likes of Emma and Erik use their positions on super teams as stay-out-of-jail insurances. Hell, Billy flat out said the X-men had no right to judge her given the numerous villains and amoral characters in their roster.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post

I would rather have a solo Marvel fighting game akin to Injustice if I was honest. UMVC3 did have 25 Marvel characters but to me I felt like all those Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Megaman and Phoenix Wright types were just taking up space more worthy Marvel characters could have gotten.

Also I am utterly sick of Marvel and Disney's obsession with IOS 'free to play' games. Marvel needs to STOP SAYING they're working on making quality console games again and ACTUALLY START announcing them. For a start given they've just given Marvel Heroes controller support they can throw a bone and make a console version for PS4 and XBox One.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    She tried to restore Mutant powers in Children's Crusade but Patriot screwed up the spell. She was the one who gave Rictor his powers back in X Factor. AvX had her help reignite the Mutant gene with Hope something the Phoenix 5 never got around to doing. With the exception of Uncanny Avengers (which is not a very well written book) she has been shown as being remorseful of her actions almost to a fault.
    So she gave back one mutant's powers...but it had to be a mutant who was already a superhero so that he could actually contact her, or she would contact him.

Again, what about the no-name civilian mutants who weren't even involved in anything the superheroes were doing and were just going about their lives?

And unless her thing with Hope resurrected people, she still caused hundreds of potential deaths. Quoting Jessica Jones again "saving lives doesn't unkill people"

Unless you're an Avenger or other named character because they get resurrected every other week.

And no Wanda is not the only character the writers try to make us feel sorry for in spite of the bad things she's done. They do it with Magneto, with Logan, with Emma (particularly in Fraction and Morrison's runs) with Scott with pretty much everybody. And most of those guys don't have the excuse of possession or villain induced insanity like Wanda does. Yet she actually feels sorrow for her actions and tries to atone for them whereas the likes of Emma and Erik use their positions on super teams as stay-out-of-jail insurances. Hell, Billy flat out said the X-men had no right to judge her given the numerous villains and amoral characters in their roster.
    His argument falls flat because it wasn't a good thing they let those others slide either. The only problem is no one powerful enough to bring any of them to task about the moral loopholes they got themselves into thinking! Hell, at least Emma and Erik own up to that moral loophole, they face the reality of their actions, and I don't think they even expect forgiveness.

One bad thing doesn't exempt another. And saying sorry doesn't 'unkill' people. Wanda never, ever, went down to the ground, and talked to someone whose life she wrecked who had zero relation to her. Because she either doesn't care, or doesn't even want to think of the bigger ramifications of her actions. And holy crap, the amount of pity panels we get of her later lamenting all her bad choices and regrets - in relation to only to her immediate family/friends and her own messed up life.

The nameless thousands? SCREW THEM.

If anything it proves my point of superhero cronyism allowing this kind of shit to fly.

It's not like this is in the Wildstorm or other grim-dark universe where the superheroes often un-apologetically commit atrocities in the name of the 'greater good'. The difference in those comics is they own up to it, and they don't care.

In the Marvel universe, shit like this isn't openly said if they're suppose to be the 'good guys' and not one of the anti-heroes. Instead, it's pushed out of the readers' eyes in the hopes they forget about it. But then you get instances where a genre-blind writer has a character in-universe call them out on it, without a satisfying explanation!

Really all the examples you gave just proved my points. Do you realize everything you've shown me boils down to 'Wanda said she's sorry'. That might be good enough on a Christian's deathbed, but I don't think that flies for the majority of people.
    Last edited by Byakko; 02-01-2016 at 05:09 AM.

Black Panther as a super genius is a stupid concept.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ian0delond View Post
    I get this place is for contoversial opinions, but... why? Why doesn't it make sense? I mean, he just happens to be a genius like so many other characters.

You know, now that I think about it, Black Panther has pretty much every superhero trope ever. He has a highly advanced suit, and yet he's still extremely capable even without it. He's a top tier martial artist. He's king of his own country and super rich. He's a super genius and tactician. He has everything except magic powers and flight I guess.

Suddenly I look at Coates's pitch with a new perspective. Despite all these advantages, he's legitimately created a viable threat to Black Panther that actually carries a good amount of weight. The political intrigue exploits one of his greatest strengths (being king) as a "weakness" you could say, or rather a responsibility that's being challenged. Makes me look even more forward to his run.

I guess my controversial opinion would be that over the years, Black Panther has almost become too capable and overpowered. Then again, it's been up to the writers to make him interesting, and I don't feel it's been done since Priest's run, though Hudlin didn't have a bad run either and I think DoomWar is unfairly criticized, mostly because the new status quo of American Panther/Man Without Fear was poorly put together imo.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

So she gave back one mutant's powers...but it had to be a mutant who was already a superhero so that he could actually contact her, or she would contact him.

Again, what about the no-name civilian mutants who weren't even involved in anything the superheroes were doing and were just going about their lives?

And unless her thing with Hope resurrected people, she still caused hundreds of potential deaths. Quoting Jessica Jones again "saving lives doesn't unkill people"

Unless you're an Avenger or other named character because they get resurrected every other week.
    Welcome come the world of comic books, where only named characters count since like forever. This isn't exactly anything new. It's the same reason why every time the Hulk went on a rampage the buildings he knocked down either show people running out of them or they carefully state in a caption that it is an unoccupied building. So don't blame a long standing tradition in comics on a character.

His argument falls flat because it wasn't a good thing they let those others slide either. The only problem is no one powerful enough to bring any of them to task about the moral loopholes they got themselves into thinking! Hell, at least Emma and Erik own up to that moral loophole, they face the reality of their actions, and I don't think they even expect forgiveness..
    The difference with Erik and Emma was their actions can't be explained away by an outside influence. They made choices to do bad things. Magneto killed before and continues to do so. The only excuse he has now is that he's become like a mutant version of the Punisher. When he killed the entire crew of that Russian submarine did he care that any of them had families?

One bad thing doesn't exempt another. And saying sorry doesn't 'unkill' people. Wanda never, ever, went down to the ground, and talked to someone whose life she wrecked who had zero relation to her. Because she either doesn't care, or doesn't even want to think of the bigger ramifications of her actions. And holy crap, the amount of pity panels we get of her later lamenting all her bad choices and regrets - in relation to only to her immediate family/friends and her own messed up life.

The nameless thousands? SCREW THEM.
    This is the part that gets weird and only because the X-titles do this. Over the years after Disassembled they kept upping the numbers long after Bendis wrote his story. It got to the point where that one obscure story in Excalibur that people like to quote says that the HOM spell affected millions across the multiverse. Wanda's powers simply never had that kind of scope before.

If anything it proves my point of superhero cronyism allowing this kind of **** to fly.

It's not like this is in the Wildstorm or other grim-dark universe where the superheroes often un-apologetically commit atrocities in the name of the 'greater good'. The difference in those comics is they own up to it, and they don't care.

In the Marvel universe, **** like this isn't openly said if they're suppose to be the 'good guys' and not one of the anti-heroes. Instead, it's pushed out of the readers' eyes in the hopes they forget about it. But then you get instances where a genre-blind writer has a character in-universe call them out on it, without a satisfying explanation!

Here's my controversial opinion. X-Fans love this kind of thing where writers are always ready to find some way to keep the pity party going on mutants even if it means trashing another character to do it. Today's writers liked to fan those flames of this schism between the heroes who are mutants and those who go their powers by other means. They made a whole series about it A vs X.

There was never that big of a division before because if you read either Byrne's FF or Claremont's X-Men back in those days, there was always mutual respect and cooperation between the groups. Reed Richards was the one who cured Kitty when it looked like she was going to completely disperse into nothingness.
    Really all the examples you gave just proved my points. Do you realize everything you've shown me boils down to 'Wanda said she's sorry'. That might be good enough on a Christian's deathbed, but I don't think that flies for the majority of people.
    So what do you want to see, Wanda going around in sack cloth and ashes and apologizing to every single person of those inflated numbers that came from the writers of the X-Men? Because if we accept all of those numbers there's not enough time in the universe for that to happen. Metaphorically, this was already done in Children's Crusade anyway. This was Marvel saying they were restoring the character as close as they could to her state prior to Disassembled and HoM. It was long overdue anyway since she was kept out of comics for years after that. And this was despite the fact that Bendis got the ending of Darker Than Scarlet wrong when he wrote those stories in the first place.

I want another Storm ongoing solo.
    Considering the sales the Storm solo got, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ian0delond View Post
    Really? Why so?

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    You know, now that I think about it, Black Panther has pretty much every superhero trope ever. He has a highly advanced suit, and yet he's still extremely capable even without it. He's a top tier martial artist. He's king of his own country and super rich. He's a super genius and tactician. He has everything except magic powers and flight I guess.

Suddenly I look at Coates's pitch with a new perspective. Despite all these advantages, he's legitimately created a viable threat to Black Panther that actually carries a good amount of weight. The political intrigue exploits one of his greatest strengths (being king) as a "weakness" you could say, or rather a responsibility that's being challenged. Makes me look even more forward to his run.

I guess my controversial opinion would be that over the years, Black Panther has almost become too capable and overpowered. Then again, it's been up to the writers to make him interesting, and I don't feel it's been done since Priest's run, though Hudlin didn't have a bad run either and I think DoomWar is unfairly criticized, mostly because the new status quo of American Panther/Man Without Fear was poorly put together imo.
    In fairness, on paper T'Challa is pretty stacked for a character, especially by the time New Avengers / TRO / SW comes in. At this point, his true weakness might be his judgement.

However, like all characters, he is ultimately at the mercy of his writers, and some of his writers have made him do some rather controversial things or placed him in very compromising positions, and definitely not for the better. Those things almost make his powers in the comics a moot point.

Considering how DoomWar ended, it deserved the criticism it got, imo.
    Last edited by Realdealholy; 02-01-2016 at 08:41 AM.

I don't get why you want these to be honest. No X-Men would be in them, that's certain.

Spectacular Member

I'd cancel any solo books for heroes on teams.

No on going Ironman, Captain America, Thor, Wolverine etc.... books.

Having these characters appear in their own solo books plus 1 or more team books is simply too much. The characters are, apparently, everywhere at once. And since each has 2-3 writers working on them their charactization is no always consistent and meaningful character development is rare since change in one book could/would affect another's story.

When there is a good solo story for these characters that should be told (and I'd expect one or two of these a year), they should do it a limited series.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    So what do you want to see, Wanda going around in sack cloth and ashes and apologizing to every single person of those inflated numbers that came from the writers of the X-Men? Because if we accept all of those numbers there's not enough time in the universe for that to happen. Metaphorically, this was already done in Children's Crusade anyway. This was Marvel saying they were restoring the character as close as they could to her state prior to Disassembled and HoM. It was long overdue anyway since she was kept out of comics for years after that. And this was despite the fact that Bendis got the ending of Darker Than Scarlet wrong when he wrote those stories in the first place.
    Maybe that's my contribution to the controversial opinion thread, but... why not, to a point? Maybe not as you describe it, but actually do something proactive and positive about it, directly or indirectly? Words are cheap, actions are less.

Here comes the controversy part of it: I often feel that the X-Men (or mutants in general) are depicted as whiny and in a constant "the sapiens are mean to us" mood, without actually doing something about it, about their lives, with their powers. I can be wrong (and probably am since I'm not a huge reader of X-Men comics) but this attitude of "life isn't fair" and doing nothing to change that gets on my nerves.

My favorite character has been a victim of a similar mentality as Wanda for years. People can't seem to forgive him for something that, on the big scale of things, seems pretty insignificant (and I'm not talking about creating Ultron here). But he did something about it. He opened six shelters for women and children victims of abuse. When he heard that Norman Osborn had abducted and experimented on teens with powers, he opened the Academy to help them. He remained an Avenger/superhero to fight any threat that Ultron could come up with and helped defeat it. Bottom line, he DID something. He got up his a$$ and actually did something about it.

On the other hand, there are still a lot of people who can't forgive him despite him having done all that, so that's no guarantee they'd forgive Wanda either. Personally SW isn't a character that appeals to me, but that was prior to all the crap Bendis put her through, and I hold no grudge against her for her actions.
    Last edited by Mary Jay; 02-01-2016 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Realdealholy View Post
    In fairness, on paper T'Challa is pretty stacked for a character, especially by the time New Avengers / TRO / SW comes in. At this point, his true weakness might be his judgement.

However, like all characters, he is ultimately at the mercy of his writers, and some of his writers have made him do some rather controversial things or placed him in very compromising positions, and definitely not for the better. Those things almost make his powers in the comics a moot point.

Considering how DoomWar ended, it deserved the criticism it got, imo.
    Any character's development is entirely dependent on some sort of struggle. When you have a character that can do so much and has unlimited resources at their disposal, it's difficult for writers to think of a believable challenge for them, which is why we got things like DoomWar and American Panther. They were a step in the right direction when presenting T'Challa with a believable struggle, but they were set up terribly and didn't pan out creatively at all, similar to OMD.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher