Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Quinch View Post
    Really? Well, that kind of sucks.
    Yeah, it does, though in slight fairness, she was under mind control herself, from what I read, which is pretty ironic in a sick kind of way. Purple Man getting mind-controlled would be only karmic. His child who attempted to do good in the world despite her lineage and the humongous potential for abuse inherent in the abilities she inherited? Not so much.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Silver age Purple Man was obviously Comics Code Approved, but his actions with Karen suggested a hint of the creepiness that would be developed later.
    Rape got through in weird ways under the Code. Marcus, of course, but Ms Marvel also faced "the mind-ripped" which "ripped" your mind by making you experience unwanted, shame-inducing sexual experiences (with MODOK, iirc). Or, they'd call it "her forced choice of mating," as a Defenders issue had it. You just couldn't use the word, essentially.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Marcus, unfortunately, probably wasn't intended as rape since everyone writing the story seemed oblivious to the fact that it was exactly that. The rest sound about right, though.

Just to cycle back to the op regarding Phantom Rider. Phantom Rider's actions weren't retconned for the benefit for Phantom Rider. They were retconned because Chelsea Cain didn't want Mockingbird to have her actions defined and motivated by a rape. This doesn't remotely apply with Purple Man. Even Jessica Jones actually wasn't raped in the comics (she suffered significant trauma, of course). Instead, it's just a bad man doing bad things. I have no problem with evil people being shown to be evil as long as they don't compromise on that (don't make Purple Man a good guy, for example, even if I have no problem with them humanizing him).

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Ultimate Blob ate the Wasp. I mean, why???
    I heard Loeb was eating chicken when he was writing it at the time and he really liked it so it just kind of crept in there.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Nah, I don't think he's "too evil" considering Kang recently just blasted babies into nonexistence. Babies. Oh and just to make clear, I'm not trying to weigh rape and murder as they are both incredibly despicable, but it seems Marvel doesn't shy away from villains not having any moral limitations.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Marvel has several characters that have committed rape or sexual assault.

Sabertooth, Typhoid Mary, Daken, D'Ken, Belasco (X-men), Crossbones, U-Man, Mandrill, Attuma, Starfox, Rancor, Moondragon, Venom, Puppet Master

there are probably more
    Why is Starfox on that list?

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Why is Starfox on that list?
    Because he's been repeatedly shown to - whether they know it or not, whether they consented or not - dose up other people with good feelings and arousal to make them easier for him to get along with or so everybody can "have a good time." And, he's some big "ladies man."

Well-intentioned or not, it's incredibly unethical without the sex and if it was achieved by any real-world comparative means, it'd be illegal anyway. You can't drug people into compliance and then shrug it off because you're a wild and crazy guy.

(I like Starfox. But that's what it is.)
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Mighty Member

In world with genocidal maniacs and temporal psychopaths, I doubt a creepy serial rapist is "too evil"

Fantastic Member

Purple Man is actually quite significant in that he's incredibly powerful and if he really wanted to he could cause lots of problems on a massive scale, but all he does with his power is mooch around indulging his desires. Evil isn't just hammy megalomaniacs planning world domination, or mad scientists making killer robots, or lunatics running around killing people. It can be as simple as one man doing whatever the hell he likes knowing but not caring about anyone or anything else other than his own satisfaction.

(Obviously I am not saying doing things you like doing is inherently bad - doing things you like knowing full well it will have horrible consequences for others is bad.)

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Depends on the writer since you can get creepy stories like in Jessica Jones or child friendly ones like his appearance in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Depends on the writer since you can get creepy stories like in Jessica Jones or child friendly ones like his appearance in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.
    And given who he is, even the "child-friendly" ones are disturbing when you think about it. That episode of EMH basically had him using Tony Stark as a proxy to take over the world and he succeeded until the Vision's awakening led to the control Purple Man had over Stark wearing off. Again, given who he is, who wants to bet even more horrifying things weren't happening behind the scenes?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Because he's been repeatedly shown to - whether they know it or not, whether they consented or not - dose up other people with good feelings and arousal to make them easier for him to get along with or so everybody can "have a good time." And, he's some big "ladies man."

Well-intentioned or not, it's incredibly unethical without the sex and if it was achieved by any real-world comparative means, it'd be illegal anyway. You can't drug people into compliance and then shrug it off because you're a wild and crazy guy.

(I like Starfox. But that's what it is.)
    Not counting Dan Slott, when has Starfox ever used his pleasure powers like that? He's always used it in the 'These are not the drois you're looking for' manner.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Purple Man isn't Marvel's only rapist villain.

Whirlwind attempted to rape Wasp in Geoff Johns Avengers run.
    It is heavily implied Crossbones raped Diamondback (Rachel Leighton) when she was younger.

Marvel also has villains that are genocidal and child killers.

Many of the villains the Punisher faces are particularly horrific.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    I think the fact Kilgrave is considered one of the best MCU villains, means don't think he is going anywhere.
    Didn't Doctor Doom kill him?

Sandy Hausler

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Didn't Doctor Doom kill him?

Sandy Hausler
    no. the Purple Children definitely tried to kill him, though.