Page 19 of 92 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast

Hey, names Dean ( Shyster ). Love the forums here. I haven't read comics in a long time and I've recently been on a Deadpool kick. I have never read a book with him in it and so far I am hooked. The pursuit for back issues is crazy. I didn't think the demand was so high for Deadpool. Plus, it seems like every other issue has a variant, and of course me being a completionist has go to have them. On the other hand the variant money grab is also disappointing. It would be nice if Marvel toned down the variant releases. It kind of reminds me of the special covers/comics of the 90s. Not sure if theyre overly mass produced as the 90s though? It would be nice knowing that I have something special for the extra money. Anyways, glad I am here and enjoying the reignited excitement of comics.

PS: The artwork on covers for the past few years is amazing.
    Last edited by Shyster; 08-18-2014 at 08:32 AM.

R. Obscure

Hello! I'm Renee and I like strange things.
    I'm 26, married and sort of living inbtween countries right now. I started reading comics due to my love of all things Lovecraftian. I've read lots of Lovecraft inspired comics and wishlishting the ones I haven't had chance to get around to yet. I am also a big fan of The Sandman series. If it wasn't for The Sandman, I would have had an even rougher time getting through the worst part of my early twenties. I also read the occaisional 2000AD issue from my husband's giant collection.
    I am also interested in getting into Tank Girl and the work of Grant Morrison. My brother is urging me to read Alam Moore's work as well (lending a Volume of Swamp Thing to me).

Other hobbies include: Listening to music (my favourite genres are post punk, punk, darkwave, minimal, synthy stuff.),Einstürzende Neubauten being my favourite, artisan crafting, being outdoors in cold weather, learning how to use herbs for natural remedies,drinking lots of tea, and wanting to desperately start my own back garden vegetable patch. I am also returning to writing after a long 6 year hiatus of not writing much of anything.

Anyway, it's nice to be here around likeminded people!
    Last edited by R. Obscure; 08-18-2014 at 05:59 PM.

Hello. I've been reading comics since I was six years old when I received some from a relative (they were mostly Batman and Jim Starlin Adam Warlock comics).

I grew up watching Batman: The Animated Series (I saw the episodes on their original air dates and made sure to never miss an episode).

A few of my favorite comics are Mark Gruenwald's Quasar and Captain America, Archie Goodwin's Manhunter, John Ostrander's Martian Manhunter, and Tom Peyer's Hourman. I also liked the '90s Valiant comics and I enjoy Osamu Tezuka's Phoenix and Hirohiko Araki's JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. I like too many more to list them all.

I make my own comics now.

It is nice to meet you and thanks for reading.

All-New Member

Hello everyone! I'm Keith... I'm 27, a former Marine & currently work as a Sr. Linux Admin/Network Security in the Silicon Valley.

I actually only recently REALLY started reading comics... I've read a comic here & there but never seriously except within the last 2-3 months. I've already amassed about 30 trades & tons of individual comics in the past few months, to the disappointment of my bank account. Thor is probably one of my favorites... I just love the idea of the whole character & mythology. However, I've been powering through the previous Geoff Johns arc for the Green Lantern stuff. I just finished the book prior to where the Blackest Night picks up and I just can't stop. I'll buy a trade to read over the weekend... Get home, read it & go back to get another for the weekend. Read that one Saturday morning & pick up another on my way home. Other than that though I'm reading Steam Engines of Oz, Deadly Class, Deadpool vs Carnage, Batman, Judge Dredd, Mars Attacks Judge Dredd (great crossover) Guardians of the Galaxy, Adventure Time (absolutely love the artwork) and I've been picking up random titles to try & expand my reading.

I've come here because I want to learn more about comics in general. Not as much the characters etc... But more, how the releases are done, events (I was mainly driven here because I just learned about Marvel events. I know the basics of them but have a lot of questions), reading orders & just whatever other questions I have.

Look forward to getting to know some of you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyNotKeithberg View Post
    Hello everyone! I'm Keith... I'm 27, a former Marine & currently work as a Sr. Linux Admin/Network Security in the Silicon Valley.

I actually only recently REALLY started reading comics... I've read a comic here & there but never seriously except within the last 2-3 months. I've already amassed about 30 trades & tons of individual comics in the past few months, to the disappointment of my bank account. Thor is probably one of my favorites... I just love the idea of the whole character & mythology. However, I've been powering through the previous Geoff Johns arc for the Green Lantern stuff. I just finished the book prior to where the Blackest Night picks up and I just can't stop. I'll buy a trade to read over the weekend... Get home, read it & go back to get another for the weekend. Read that one Saturday morning & pick up another on my way home. Other than that though I'm reading Steam Engines of Oz, Deadly Class, Deadpool vs Carnage, Batman, Judge Dredd, Mars Attacks Judge Dredd (great crossover) Guardians of the Galaxy, Adventure Time (absolutely love the artwork) and I've been picking up random titles to try & expand my reading.

I've come here because I want to learn more about comics in general. Not as much the characters etc... But more, how the releases are done, events (I was mainly driven here because I just learned about Marvel events. I know the basics of them but have a lot of questions), reading orders & just whatever other questions I have.

Thank you for your service as a Marine and welcome!

And, welcome to all the other newcomers as well!

Quote Originally Posted by WhyNotKeithberg View Post

Welcome Keith. I am also at the same level of excitement and passion for my new found hobby also. I am just amazed and impressed with the depth of "comics"....not what I thought. I cannot seem to narrow my interest. there seems to be so many titles and authors I want to read. I am really diving in to the batman series so far with a few others here and there to satisfy my interest.

I hope the fun and the passion continues.

Looking forward to chatting more with you all

Cardiac311

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiac311 View Post
    Welcome Keith. I am also at the same level of excitement and passion for my new found hobby also. I am just amazed and impressed with the depth of "comics"....not what I thought. I cannot seem to narrow my interest. there seems to be so many titles and authors I want to read. I am really diving in to the batman series so far with a few others here and there to satisfy my interest.

I hope the fun and the passion continues.

Looking forward to chatting more with you all

Cardiac311
    Thank you Rei

And Cardiac I understand what you mean. However, I've been going at it the way I would if I learned about a bunch of new artists. When I'm listening to a bunch of new artists that have a decent amount of prior work I'll usually listen to a few at a time. However, I'll mainly focus on one of them... Listening to each album in full whether I really like all of them or not to get a good appreciation & understanding of the past work. So.. That's what I'm doing here. I'm reading multiple different titles (about 3-4 semi-seriously) and I'm just reading the crap out of one. At the moment it's Green Lantern.

But I'm reading Batman as well... I just read the 3 prior to Year Zero. I believe it's Death of The Family. The previous two being about the Court of Owls. Thought the Joker story was pretty cool. Anyways, I'm sure I will see you around the forums. Take care

Hiya, I've been a lover of all things comicbooks since I was of reading age. My fav franchises are Batman and X-men but as I've grown older my tastes have gravitated towards the finite nature of creator owned books. Anyways, I'm here to wile away the boring times by talking about one of my passions, I look forward to talking with you all.

Spectacular Member marvelmaniac6169's Avatar

Hello,
    My name is Jan, I am 59 years old with 2 Children(38 and 35) and 6 Grandchildren.(17, 11, 5, 5, 5, 10 month's)
    I started collecting in the early 1960's with Sad Sack, Beetle Bailey, Archie and other Harvey Books then moved to Marvel around 1965.
    Collected until 1969 and then we moved and I had to leave my books behind.
    In 1979 I started reading Rom Spaceknight(IMO the BEST long running continuous storyline ever) and found my first Comic Book Store and the bug bit me again.
    I have been collecting on/off(life gets in the way sometimes) for the last 35 years with interests in Silver Age Marvel Superhero, Golden Age Atlas/Marvel Westerns and Pre-Hero Horror and all 10 cent Sad Sack Comics and Spinoffs from 1949 - 1964.
    I was an ASE Certified Automotive Service Tech for 35 years but after beating up my body for so long and having back surgery in 2008 I gave that up and I now just deliver parts for Autozone.
    Naturally I have an interest in cars,specifically Mopar FWD Turbo cars from 84-93.
    I own a 1990 Dodge Daytona Shelby that I bought new in 12/89 and I am an Administrator on a Mopar Forum.

I joined this site because there were topics related to older books that I am interested in rather than just newer stuff so hopefully I will be able to join in discussions about Gold/Silver/Bronze age books.

The Guy with a Poleaxe FrostyFlakes's Avatar
    Just messing around in the Helicarrier...

Oh man... I think I've never introduced myself even though I've been posting around.

Yo, my name is Emmanuel; although I'm referred to my online nickname Frosty.

Not very lucky on obtaining comic books since I happen to live pretty far from the nearest comic book shops (I'm live in a rural area, okay?). Although I'm capable of reading comic books via CDisplay wherein I have to download comic books from internet to read myself so I can catch up with what's going on even though I'm taking small steps at a time.

Even though I'm not very keen on reading comic books back then, I'm very fascinated with the animated Marvel stuff in the past. I've managed to at least see 90's X-Men, X-Men Evo and even the Marvel Super Heroes animation where I was introduced to my childhood Marvel hero, Captain America whom I'm very fond of; although I'm a shy fanboy in reality. As of lately, I'm also watching more animated series such as Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Avengers Assemble and many more. Outside of animations, I frequently follow the movies too.

Outside of comic books and animations, I also play some games such as Marvel Heroes Online (I'm still gonna re-install this one), Super Hero Squad Online and MAA. As for Hobbies, I'm a self-taught art person.

Lookin' forward to chit-chat with everyone here; but still pardon for my late greeting.
    Brave Bear Bunny (SHSO) l Agent Tacitus (MAA)
    Signature Hero: Captain America
    "Anyone up for a game of Vibranium Frisbee?"

Hello people, I was previously on CBR board, but I dropped it for about a year, I decided to comeback, hope to have as much fun as last time

All-New Member

Name is Shanny(8). Been an avid comic book reader since I was a kid. I'm also an aspiring comic artist, working on a creator owned series. I had stopped reading comics in the early 2000s, and after getting back into doing my own series, I decided to give comics a look again...not really impressed with what is out there on the market, though I have my fave artists that I follow.

Hello, I've been a longtime lurker but decided to finally sign up today. (I decided I'm not ready to jump into any big discussions as of yet)

I'm a longtime comics/gaming/movie geek who grew up with aspirations of becoming a comic book artist but never made it beyond the "fanartist" stage. I dropped out of collecting in the late 90's and all things geek media related in the early 00's, but I have been getting back into the scene over the past year or so.

I've been brushing off my sketchbooks and getting back into drawing again as well. No plans to do a book or anything as Im happy with my chosen career path (secret goverment agent!), but I do love drawing cutesy xenomorphs. I am pretty much a sucker for all things Alien/Aliens.

Nice to meet y'all!

Hey guys, I didn't realise this thread was here until I did a random search earlier.

My name is Adam, I've been reading comicbooks for the last couple of years - it all began with the Avengers movie, I picked up Avengers Assemble and it grew and grew and grew from there. I'm a massive X-Fan, all starting from All-New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men trades my current subscription list now looks like an X-Man lovers list. That subscription list looks like this (including events): Thor, Avengers & X-Men: Axis, Death of Wolverine: Logan Legacy, Uncanny Avengers, Avengers, All-New X-Men, Original Sin, Guardians of the Galaxy, Amazing X-Men, Wolverine, All-New X-Factor, X-Force, Magneto and Inhuman. It's quite a good balance I feel . I also get Iron Man and Uncanny X-Men in trades.

Outside of Comicbooks I have done a degree in Computer Aided Design for which I received a First. I'm kind of a jack of all trades master of none kind of engineer, knowing the basics in most or have the ability to find out what's required without too much hassle. I lived in London for three years whilst doing my degree - I really miss living there, I want to get some training and further experience to be able to move back to London and live my life down there, I really loved it.

Oh, I'm ginger too, cause being ginger is cool

Hi, Long Con here, aka Mike. I joined today because I have an iPad and I was hoping to come to the source here and figure out what is the best way to read comics on it. I figure that some people in this community will know a lot about such things. What's cheaper, what's more complete, what kind of app or download I need.

I've been into comics for about 20 years, and I used to collect Uncanny X-Men, X-Men, and Wolverine about 15 years ago.