Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by ben jacobs View Post
    Personally, I have no idea what will happen, but if DC comics is going to be sold then I hope that it's Disney who buys it. I rather have the mouse own both Marvel and DC than DC comics shutting down.
    HELL YEAH[/QUOTE]

I love Superman as a character, but I would prefer to see DC to shutting down to let Disney buying it and becoming a monopoly. That would be a bad precedent for other industries and reality is too much dystopic as it is now to see reality being sacrified for franchised fictions.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Spectacular Member

I
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    love Superman as a character, but I would prefer to see DC shutting down to let Disney buying it and becoming a monopoly. That would be a bad precedent for other industries and reality is too much dystopic as it is now to see reality being sacrificed for franchised fictions.
    A lot of the guys say that there will be a monopoly, but I don't see it. Even if Disney buys DC, there are other publishers like Image, Boom, Archie, etc.

So the medium will be safe.

Yes, Disney will control the two biggest universes in comics but it won't be the only one in town. And out of all the other companies that can buy DC, Disney is the one with the financial capabilities and experience to keep it alive.
    Last edited by Mr_E_88; 07-04-2021 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_E_88 View Post
    I

A lot of the guys say that there will be a monopoly, but I don't see it. Even if Disney buys DC, there are other publishers like Image, Boom, Archie, etc.

Yes, Disney will control the two biggest universes in comics but it won't be the only one in town. And out of all the other companies that can buy DC, Disney is the one with the financial capabilities and experience to keep it alive.
    They are not big enough. DC and Marvel as a duopoly already had enough market share. As only one if they choose could do thing in perjudice of creators and workers inside the industry. There a lot more to consider and not only the funny pages.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

As long as the licensing of DC characters continues to be profitable for Discovery in movies, tv and games I think DC will be fine.

If the general public tires of superhero films, than DC could find itself in trouble.

Sadly there is not a lot of money to be made in comics these days, with all the free streaming and download sights that allow people to read DC comics for free.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Lets take Dynamite. I mean Red Sonja does 11K-18K and is the top dog there.

Someone like say Power Girl or JSA or Vixen could not beat that?

Along with being free of the drama of being held hostage by Bat Events and whatever else DC does (unless they are needed).

I mean if I am free to let Vixen, Bumblebee, Power Girl, Traci 13 and Bombshell do crossovers with Vampi, Sonja and Jungle Girl-why not?
    I wouldn't count the JSA as a smaller property.

I guess some of the characters you named might be able to match Red Sonja, but I kind of doubt that they would sell much more.

And honestly characters like Traci 13 and Bombshell simply don't have the brand recognition of Red Sonja and or Vampirella. And in how far they could sell merchendise (and in how far Dynamite can and could even make money of the merchendise).
    Last edited by Aahz; 07-08-2021 at 12:45 AM.

Nothing's changing.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_E_88 View Post
    I

Not to mention that the competition watchdogs treat DC and Marvel as just two of many MAGAZINE publishers, not specifically comic book publishers. That's how Diamond got away with their distribution monopoly for so long, magazine distributors were considered to be competitors despite having a completely different inventory.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman