Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That said holy **** they really swept the board clean of GLs huh? Look if this is what DC wants they need to goddamn commit to it. If Thorne pitched them a 30 issue run or whatever they need to let him tell it so we can get to whatever endgame he envisioned because they’ve basically nuked the GLC at this point. They have to let him rebuild the setting into whatever form they wanted because otherwise this whole thing will be nothing but pointless shock value that nobody is going to care about. These deaths have to matter because it’s already bad that they’re doing another “The Corps is on the verge of extinction!” story, I need a status quo coming out of this that isn’t the normal because that’s the only acceptable response to this event.
    It just feels so overdone at this point.
    Never really thought of it like that but you make a good point. The aliens have basically been completely dumped so every human ethnic group can get represented in the Corps.
    Which ironically, is probably how some fans just view the Corps. and the franchise as a whole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I certainly sympathize for Arisia fans, but given how little she's been given to do in the DCU over the past few years, it's not like this is a big change. She's simply gone from barely appearing to never appearing. She was great in GL: Earth One. However, that version of the character is essentially a new creation with none of the backstory problems.
    I think most fans would take getting nothing over just getting unceremoniously killed off even if it's a minute difference in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Considering Simon I hope that this runs manages to establish a new role for him. I already like those few pages with him in sciencells more than majority of what he did as GL. I mean, this is not the first time it happens, but at some point GLC has to stop using only rings powered by central battery. And I could picture Simon being some Adam Strange/Green Lantern mix with his own twist.

Thanks, I'll guess I'll add it to my list of things that I should pick up at some point.

I haven't read Future State issues (asides of Hal's story by... ugh... certain other means), is there anything that contradicts what is happening here? John can probably stay in that world for a few more years without much changing in "main continuity".
    John is an old man in Future State, he doesn’t have Guardian powers, and decades later he’s still out in space fighting. I don’t think it’s said whether or not he and Guy ever returned to Earth again which I can’t see DC making mainline canon. I’m expecting a swerve at some point, just like how I don’t think the Magistrate is going to win in Tynion’s Batman.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

I think most fans would take getting nothing over just getting unceremoniously killed off even if it's a minute difference in practice.
    Arisia's been killed off twice before this already and come back. Getting killed again--off-panel so that any future writer could easily reverse it--doesn't strike me as particularly bad compared to how most D-list characters get shafted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Arisia's been killed off twice before this already and come back. Getting killed again--off-panel so that any future writer could easily reverse it--doesn't strike me as particularly bad compared to how most D-list characters get shafted.
    This really does beg the question how many members of the Corps. have been killed off only to unceremoniously come back to life.

One thing that was lost, I think, in this thread was this line: And we gain another cycle's grace from the golden ones. Who are the golden ones? Would be a bit weird if we got another set of gold coloured villains after Golden Giants in last few issues of Morrison's run.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This really does beg the question how many members of the Corps. have been killed off only to unceremoniously come back to life.
    As far as I know, only the Lanterns killed off during Emerald Twilight and Arisia.

In the end, the merry-go-round of destroying the Corps, then rebuilding it, only to destroy it again, is such a tired trope at this point and I'm surprised that DC editorial wants to do it yet again. I'd rather they tried something genuinely new and different, but I guess after Morrison & Sharpe's very weird and experimental run, they wanted something more well-worn.

BANNED

I liked Bendis's idea of making the Guardians psychic wisps of fire.

The Guardians have needed a redesign for decades - little blue men (and later a few women) aren't going to cut it.(I always thought they and the Zamarons should have come back from Millennium radically altered and functioned together to lead the Corps - or the "New Guardians" would have actually been new Guardians who could take over for them - missed opportunities there) Too bad nobody was interested in Morrison's Young Guardians. The (according to a recent interview with Thorne) editorially mandated destruction of the Corps must be due to them having something in mind to replace them? Or they already have an idea for how the Corps should be rebuilt? And does this all tie into the tv show?
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 07-09-2021 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    The Guardians have needed a redesign for decades - little blue men (and later a few women) aren't going to cut it.(I always thought they and the Zamarons should have come back from Millennium radically altered and functioned together to lead the Corps - or the "New Guardians" would have actually been new Guardians who could take over for them - missed opportunities there) Too bad nobody was interested in Morrison's Young Guardians. The (according to a recent interview with Thorne) editorially mandated destruction of the Corps must be due to them having something in mind to replace them? Or they already have an idea for how the Corps should be rebuilt? And does this all tie into the tv show?
    Little Blue Men is so classic though...but I'll be really surprised if the Guardians aren't in the show, in at least one of the timelines.

Yeah, I think the Guardians don't need visual change.
    Last edited by Johnny; 07-10-2021 at 02:20 AM.