Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
That's fair. Never really got into the Wolverine cartoon (can't say it was bad, but it didn't click for whatever reason), but it ending on a cliffhanger is begging for some kind of revival. While the Evolution cartoon did have some unfinished business, it at least was able to wrap up the major plot points it had set up and offer closure to the series as a whole. That one was my favorite, so my interests in a revival of that are pretty subjective.

I guess the thing with '90s cartoon is I don't really "get" why it's such a sacred cow, much less the only one that Marvel keeps alive (I mean, they had that "making of" book awhile back, a comic book continuation, and now the revival, which is more than any of the others have gotten). I will concede that I've never watched the whole thing through, but the production values and acting aren't that good. I guess you can argue that it tried to do mature storytelling, but it all falls flat when you consider that it was a contemporary of the original Batman cartoon, which did all those things better (as in having aged extremely well and still regarded as a legitimate classic).

I love stuff that's probably objectively not that "good," so I do get why it has its fans and I hope they get something that's well-made with the revival, but I guess I don't appreciate how it's overshadowed its successors that (IMHO) were better made and I question if the franchise should be getting something new that could capitalize on how the X-Men franchise has evolved in the years since the cartoon went off the air. Not sure if any of that makes sense, but there it is.
I think in the case of X-Men: TAS it was impactful for several reasons:

- Trying to go for a more darker and grittier comic book adaption compared to some of its contemporaries.

- More long-form serialized storytelling that built up to and adapted some of the biggest comic sagas of the time (DoFP, Phoenix Saga, Apocalypse, Phalanx Covenant etc.)

- Mature themes like racism, religion, hope and heroism in a brutal and embittered role.

- Relatively faithfully adapting the X-Men comics at the time.

- Whatever your opinions of the voice acting, a lot of the character portrayals and voices set a standard for those characters, particularly Cal Dodd as Wolverine.

- The memes.

I feel like the revival will still reflect how the franchise has grown and evolved since the show ended because there wouldn't be much story to tell otherwise.