Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Mighty Member

Blue Snowman:

Worse: Hmm, I'm not the biggest fan of the (2018) giant robot, it's funny as I'm one of the people who champion Byrna Brillyant being a mechanical genius, leaning into the robotics more than their father's invention, but this was kind of overkill for me as it becomes a bit generic. I thought that there was nowhere to go but up from the original design... I mean this one is not even blue in color.

Best: Either the Frosty the Snowman look introduced in Powergirl that continues to be used or the sleek suit introduced in Sensational Wonder Woman #8. I like when Blue Snowman's armor is clearly an armor, but these give it so much personality.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post

And the modern update that looks practical, tactical and almost like real life SWAT armor with all the straps but still Wonder-riffic.

Attachment 118994
    No offence but I have to disagree with you there. Superheroes are modern myth. They should not look "practical, tactical and almost like real life SWAT armor." They should look iconic.

In ancient Greek art when Heracles was depicted wrestling the Nemean Lion in his birthday suit, do you think they thought that was "practical" or "tactical?" No, they didn't. They understood that Heracles was not supposed to look like "real life" because he's a mythic figure. If the ancient Greeks understood this then there's no reason why modern audiences can't.

And because I know some ***** will go "yurr hurr, I'd be cool with seeing Donna Troy in her birthday suit" that is NOT what I said. Obviously modern sensibilities do not allow that. My point is that superhero attire should not look like that of real-life military/law enforcement personnel because, get this, superheroes are not real-life military/law enforcement personnel. They are modern mythic figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter
    DCEU/Rebirth

It works okay for a film, but the Jim Lee designed Rebirth costumes is a telltale example of why movie costumes don't translate well to comics. It's too dark, and Jim Lee's characteristic overrendering on costumes ruins the brilliant simplicity of the classic WW look.
    Exactly. That's why I despise so called "movie synergy." Its short-term thinking that will ultimately only harm the characters iconic nature.
    Last edited by hareluyafan1; 04-02-2022 at 05:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    No offence but I have to disagree with you there. Superheroes are modern myth. They should not look "practical, tactical and almost like real life SWAT armor." They should look iconic.

In ancient Greek art when Heracles was depicted wrestling the Nemean Lion in his birthday suit, do you think they thought that was "practical" or "tactical?" No, they didn't. They understood that Heracles was not supposed to look like "real life" because he's a mythic figure. If the ancient Greeks understood this then there's no reason why modern audiences can't.

And because I know some ***** will go "yurr hurr, I'd be cool with seeing Donna Troy in her birthday suit" that is NOT what I said. Obviously modern sensibilities do not allow that. My point is that superhero attire should not look like that of real-life military/law enforcement personnel because, get this, superheroes are not real-life military/law enforcement personnel. They are modern mythic figures.

Exactly. That's why I despise so called "movie synergy." Its short-term thinking that will ultimately only harm the characters iconic nature.
    No offense taken, I generally agree with everything you said. Donna is a special case though, everything about her original Troia costume is a no go except the starfield and I'm tired of it and all it's variations. As much as I detest practical costumes the SWAT gear fits Donna because it's a modern update of the sword and shield warrior aesthetic they keep trying to saddle her with. It also solidifies her as the more street level member of the Wonder family because she needs so much protection. Having had the opportunity to see the police up close in full riot gear my takeaway from it was it's kind of cool.

Incredible Member

No offense taken, I generally agree with everything you said. Donna is a special case though, everything about her original Troia costume is a no go except the starfield and I'm tired of it and all it's variations. As much as I detest practical costumes the SWAT gear fits Donna because it's a modern update of the sword and shield warrior aesthetic they keep trying to saddle her with. It also solidifies her as the more street level member of the Wonder family because she needs so much protection. Having had the opportunity to see the police up close in full riot gear my takeaway from it was it's kind of cool.
    Cool. You make some very good points.

Also sorry if I came across as high-handed in my previous post.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Long as they don't try to sex them up, I'm all good. I want superheroes to look like superheroes, weird outfits and all. Sometimes I think the many of them are embarrassed of the outfits. So they try to "modernize" the look.

Well, except the Eagle Armour.

Fantastic Member

The best will ALWAYS be her classic costume!!! That one says "Iconic super heroine."

The worst is probably the one the Finches did in their run. What was that thing???

The "Mod-Era" "costumes" would probably be up there too. There's nothing about a white jump suit that says "Wonder Woman." Which is probably why when they did the first TV movie with Cathy Lee Crosby that was kind of based on the "Mod-Era" they put her in a red and blue costume with a gold eagle and star-spangled...sleeves.

Quote Originally Posted by The I.A.D.C. View Post
    The best will ALWAYS be her classic costume!!! That one says "Iconic super heroine."

The worst is probably the one the Finches did in their run. What was that thing???

The "Mod-Era" "costumes" would probably be up there too. There's nothing about a white jump suit that says "Wonder Woman." Which is probably why when they did the first TV movie with Cathy Lee Crosby that was kind of based on the "Mod-Era" they put her in a red and blue costume with a gold eagle and star-spangled...sleeves.
    White doesn't say "Wonder Woman" but it damn sure says Diana Prince!

DI.jpg

DI WHITE-SKIRT-SUIT-GAL-GADOT.jpg

DI 5.jpg

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

For me it's perfect the way it is, they picked the right color to make Diana Prince's white pop. Which brings me to another one of my favorite looks...

Attachment 119441

the best update to Wonder Woman's costume anyone could ask for. They were one of the firsts to fully combine the double W with the eagle and they made her modern and cool simply by changing how the costume fit. It's too bad it didn't last longer and no one else could draw it quite the way Terry Dodson did.

Attachment 119443
    I don't get the metal in her costume. Almost impractical if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    I don't get the metal in her costume. Almost impractical if you ask me.
    It probably has about as much real metal in it as Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman costume.

wonder-woman-2-costume j.jpg

Spectacular Member

I like the belt and the bird to be metal

In the 90s a lot of times Diana was basically wearing a thong. It was appalling how much bare butt was being shown - something that was never done that was with male heroes. So that would be the worst. The 90s black bra and spandex pants was just ugly, as was the New 52 suit with pants. I think there could be some great full body suits, that just wasn't it.
    The classic one piece is iconic for a reason. I do like skirt variants. I can't find the picture now but I've seen a pencil cover for Superman Space Age that includes Diana with the JLA, in a costume that is basically her Silver Age costume with a mini skirt that looks great.
    Last edited by witchboy; 04-08-2022 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Access View Post
    I like the belt and the bird to be metal
    I like the idea that the Amazons are an advanced society with superior textiles and technology. I had no problem with the whole suit being metal as revealed during the Perez run. I also liked the idea from Messner-Loebs run (perhaps borrowed from the TV show's first Andros arc?) that the metal of her armour defies analysis being non-reactive and that it is indestructible.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I like the idea that the Amazons are an advanced society with superior textiles and technology. I had no problem with the whole suit being metal as revealed during the Perez run. I also liked the idea from Messner-Loebs run (perhaps borrowed from the TV show's first Andros arc?) that the metal of her armour defies analysis being non-reactive and that it is indestructible.
    DCAU WW wears armor forged by Hephaestus... which looks like the classic WW costume somehow.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

If Batman can manage to walk around in his suit that is sometimes metal and bulletproof....I can believe an Amazon has a metal outfit that somehow is comfortable to be in.