Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Those people don't live long enough to make it to the form groups stage
    FF chainsaws can inssta-kill GODS.

(Like literally in Final Fantasy Legends, the final Boss is the creator of the world, and supposedly the most powerful God, but a chainsaw will one shot him. Because of how it's coded, it can be by anyone even.)

EDIT: Wait did a mod delete the bumping post making it look like I bumped this thread?

EDIT 2.0: Legends not Adventure. Adventure was the Real-time one.
    Last edited by The MunchKING; 06-06-2022 at 09:32 AM.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    FF chainsaws can inssta-kill GODS.

(Like literally in Final Fantasy Adventures, the final Boss is the creator of the world, and supposedly the most powerful God, but a chainsaw will one shot him. Because of how it's coded, it can be by anyone even.)

EDIT: Wait did a mod delete the bumping post making it look like I bumped this thread?
    MUNCH! What are you doing necro-ing this thread???

*gales of laughter*
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    MUNCH! What are you doing necro-ing this thread???

*gales of laughter*
    Don't look at ME! Necromancy isn't part of the FF-Hero magic package.

I could only bring it back to life within three turn cycles.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Thread necro seems thematically appropriate for undead topics like zombies.

Back when we covered this topic in 2016, I owned a chainsaw that I used on a semi-regular basis when storms brought down big tree branches in my yard. I have since given away that chainsaw to my uncle, who is quite happy with it. The damned thing was sometimes a real hassle to start, especially if it had already been in use for a while that day. I could only use the chainsaw for a short time before it needed more gas, more oil, or the chain needed tightening again. Sometimes it would get stuck and sometimes it would kick back. When everything was going smoothly, it would do an amazing amount of work in a short period of time, but I lived in fear of it. Nowadays, I use a Silkie Big Boy non-powered hand saw to cut up wood. It's more work, but the offset double row of teeth makes it twice as effective as a normal non-powered handsaw. The overall shape of the Big Boy is a essentially a jackknife katana, so you can use it with either a one-hand or two-hand grip. Great against wood, but probably not against zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Don't look at ME! Necromancy isn't part of the FF-Hero magic package.

I could only bring it back to life within three turn cycles.
    Should have known you'd have an answer. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Thread necro seems thematically appropriate for undead topics like zombies.

Back when we covered this topic in 2016, I owned a chainsaw that I used on a semi-regular basis when storms brought down big tree branches in my yard. I have since given away that chainsaw to my uncle, who is quite happy with it. The damned thing was sometimes a real hassle to start, especially if it had already been in use for a while that day. I could only use the chainsaw for a short time before it needed more gas, more oil, or the chain needed tightening again. Sometimes it would get stuck and sometimes it would kick back. When everything was going smoothly, it would do an amazing amount of work in a short period of time, but I lived in fear of it. Nowadays, I use a Silkie Big Boy non-powered hand saw to cut up wood. It's more work, but the offset double row of teeth makes it twice as effective as a normal non-powered handsaw. The overall shape of the Big Boy is a essentially a jackknife katana, so you can use it with either a one-hand or two-hand grip. Great against wood, but probably not against zombies.
    Ugh...never really liked working with chainsaws. Fortunately, it's something that has happened like...twice...in my life. The handsaw sounds a whole lot better.

...though, as you say, probably not against zombies.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Incredible Member

Interesting points, and welcome to the board.

Just going to note about the Japanese sword:

1. In this scenario, we're not allowed a sword;
    2. The Katana wasn't lightweight. It weighed about the same as a medieval arming sword, if not more (time period and Katana depending);
    3. Edit: the effectiveness of a sword ALSO depends on who is using it and how much experience/training they have (REAL training/experience, not 'I trained myself').
    True on all counts.

I'd like to point out though that most arming swords and katanas weigh a little over two pounds. Obviously depending on region/time period etc.

Anyway, as someone who has ZERO training, out of the options available in the OP I'd pick the axe. It's not an ideal choice but better than the other two for reasons previously mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    True on all counts.

I'd like to point out though that most arming swords and katanas weigh a little over two pounds. Obviously depending on region/time period etc.
    It's the same deal with a whole lot of other one-handed swords. I have a pair of cutting-capable Jian, made of good steel, edged, etc. The lighter one is 1.8 lbs, and is sort of a dueling weapon. The heavier one - long and heavy enough with a big enough grip that it's almost a hand-and-a-half style thing - is 2.2 lbs.

Anyway, as someone who has ZERO training, out of the options available in the OP I'd pick the axe. It's not an ideal choice but better than the other two for reasons previously mentioned.
    *applause*
    Why are we here?

As an aside, it's kind of hilarious that because of spam, this thread is getting some traction again. Six years later. ^_^
    Why are we here?

Incredible Member

It's the same deal with a whole lot of other one-handed swords. I have a pair of cutting-capable Jian, made of good steel, edged, etc. The lighter one is 1.8 lbs, and is sort of a dueling weapon. The heavier one - long and heavy enough with a big enough grip that it's almost a hand-and-a-half style thing - is 2.2 lbs.
    Cool. So one is like the textbook "gentleman's sword" i.e. something that could be worn for lengthy periods, meant for dueling (as you said) and civilian self-defence, while the other is more like a battlefield weapon?

*applause*
    Thanks.

As an aside, it's kind of hilarious that because of spam, this thread is getting some traction again. Six years later. ^_^
    Very true, especially given the subject matter.

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    Cool. So one is like the textbook "gentleman's sword" i.e. something that could be worn for lengthy periods, meant for dueling (as you said) and civilian self-defence, while the other is more like a battlefield weapon?
    I would guess. The heavier, 'cutting' Jian is a Scott Rodell designed Jian - it's a 31" blade length, long-grip thing with a fairly solid blade. The other (lighter) one is an old Kriscutlery design, about 28-29" blade length, with something of a lenticular blade cross-section rather than the flattened diamond of the Rodell one, and is a touch thinner. Still perfectly serviceable, but certainly lighter. Kriscutlery has all-but given up on Chinese-style weapons, but back in the day they made some pretty decent ones.

Both of them are quite well-balanced, though the Rodell one does take some getting used to if one isn't accustomed to actual 'fighting' sword weight. For a modern Jian, it's pretty hefty. While I'm not a fan of the backswept hilt, I can overlook that as the rest of the blade (and even the design of the hilt) is quite good. Simple and solid.

Very true, especially given the subject matter.
    There used to be a whole lot of weapon discussions on Rumbles, back before the reset. Was interesting. ^_^
    Why are we here?