Extraordinary Member

Default Good and/or bad things your parents taught you

What are some good or bad things your parents taught you?

For me:

Good
    Being on time. If we were supposed to be somewhere at 8:00, we were there at 7:45. It's served me well. Supervisors have told me they promoted me because I was always on time.

Bad:
    My sweet Mother passed on a lot of superstitious nonsense she learned from my Grandma. Things like 'if you sing before breakfast, you'll cry before dinner'. I never believed any of it but it does stick in my mind.

I dont really divvy it up into good and bad; i've always believed (though as a kid i couldnt put it into words) that you can learn from anyone, even if its what NOT to do.

I learned things like not to be a racist, not to be an absentee father, to always pay my debts, to never borrow money...from my parents.

Mighty Member

How to destroy the world, and never hit a fly with glasses.

Never it a fly WITH glasses, or never hit a fly that’s WEARING glasses? Or both?

Some other things I learned from my parents…

How to roll my own “cigarettes”, how to cook, how to haggle, how to make my bed, how to do my own laundry.

Those last two, damn.

It was amazing when I joined the Army, how many 18-20somethings in basic training had never done either of those things and were completely caught off guard.