Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Shed has its fans.
    It is I. I am fans.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Is the forum's consensus turning on Spider-Island, too, now? That was always the bit of Slott's run grudgingly accepted as good.
    I %*#&ing love Spider-Island!!! An action-adventure tale full of heart and soul. Among Slott's best, for sure

Ironically, also a story where Spidey helps out his clone bro out of a funk--not Ben, but Kaine! Ah, brotherly love

I think it gets a bit of a bad rap for being...cheerful? The stakes are high, but no one goes thru being buried alive or forced to stand trial for their sins in an insane asylum. Profound is good. Pulse-pounding is ALSO good. Spider-Island is definitely more Mission Impossible, than Hamlet. And its all the better for it.

I think it's important to note that Peter Parker's characterization has been off a long while. And I don't blame OMD at all. It's because writers forgot that Peter struggles with his personal life, often due to his duties as Spider-Man, and attempts to throw off his villains with clever quips. And now they write him as a loser state of mind, who tells bad jokes and uses pop culture references and other characters hate his company and it's a known fact in universe that his jokes are bad. And Peter's self-worth as Spider-Man has plummeted as he acts more passive and Marvel Comics put another character who uses the Spider-Man name with in 616 and treats them like they're on the same level.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Is the forum's consensus turning on Spider-Island, too, now? That was always the bit of Slott's run grudgingly accepted as good.
    Well, not me, I just only remember the Spider Queen from Warzones (which was a pretty good tie in...not as good as RYV but still pretty interesting). I never read the OG Spider-Island.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I think it's important to note that Peter Parker's characterization has been off a long while. And I don't blame OMD at all. It's because writers forgot that Peter struggles with his personal life, often due to his duties as Spider-Man, and attempts to throw off his villains with clever quips. And now they write him as a loser state of mind, who tells bad jokes and uses pop culture references and other characters hate his company and it's a known fact in universe that his jokes are bad. And Peter's self-worth as Spider-Man has plummeted as he acts more passive and Marvel Comics put another character who uses the Spider-Man name with in 616 and treats them like they're on the same level.
    I think the proper term for this is Flanderization

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Shed has its fans.
    I understand Shed has its fans, even OMD has its fans. But I would say about 99.99% of Spider-man readers would not put that story in their Top 10 list.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    But she is a victim there.
    Yes, in the sense that she was wasting her life on a fantasy. It's a different kind of victimization and there's no reason to hold onto it forever in the same way as losing a child would.

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    It was certainly eating me up.

I kid, I kid.
    Double joke. Nice.

I think the same of Spider-Island as I did at the time, that it goofy, dumb, and insubstantial with a rusheed ending. It's certainly not the worst thing Slott wrote but it has all his normal problems. It's certainly not coming close to a best of list.

Extraordinary Member

I feel like any story that manages to successfully spin out a villain or hero that people really like and want to see/write more of has surpassed at least one standard of re-readability and competence in character-work, even if they struggled with the plot for the story itself. By that standard, both the Clone Saga and Spider-Island have something that compensates for whatever other problems they have, as would Spider-verse.

It’s why I’m sort of curious as to how much Rabin and Paul are accepted or forgotten afterwards; I feel like the plot here has been trashed and made fun of enough that it in-and-of-itself will likely be seen more as a “what not to do” example, and having the antagonists disappear into obscurity afterwards feels more likely than not.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

And as I said in another thread, it takes very little talent to upend the status quo and and deconstruct. Despite people complaining that the status quo isn't allowed to change. It has drastically been changed. Which is why so many recent stories fail. Not to say there should be no change. And the term status quo is seen as negative. But there are components about Spider-Man's world that cause stories to suffer if you throw them away to make your mark on the series.
    Last edited by KurtW95; 07-13-2023 at 12:15 PM.

The truly creative writers know how to construct and not rely on the easy method of changing the status quo somehow.

Not if the same editors that don't want peter to grow up are still there. No run will.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Maybe it has more to do with how divisive things currently are between the editors and the fans than the story itself?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Maybe it has more to do with how divisive things currently are between the editors and the fans than the story itself?
    Given my opinion has been that Spider-Island has always sucked, maybe people are finally coming around to the POV I've had the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I understand Shed has its fans, even OMD has its fans. But I would say about 99.99% of Spider-man readers would not put that story in their Top 10 list.
    People seem very hot and cold on Shed.

Full disclosure, I like it. It would certainly make my Top 50. It seems there are more people who would rate it really highly, and some who hate it with a passion, so its average score might be quite low, but it seems people are more likely to rate in their top ten than some stories there are considered to be quite good but don't have that kind of passionate response.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets