Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
Isn’t that an argument for the opposite? The existence of the MAIN book moving forward is what inspired the creation of alternate timelines in the first place.

I suppose it's just a matter of personal vision for the main book, as in what you want out of it.

If the main book features a single Spider-Man, then a married Spider-Man would automatically be AU or a prequel taking place before OMD. If the main book features a married Spider-Man, then vice versa.

I realize me not caring about the marriage is an unpopular opinion on online circles but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
A long-running book has much more history and character development to move heroes forward through the stages of their lives than AUs that rarely last a few years to get them to that same point. You can tell any single, stand-alone Spider-Man story in an alternate universe more easily than a married one, because there’s less history and baggage attached.
Well, It wouldnt too hard to write. MC2 Peter and MJ have essentially the same history as 616 up until Clone Saga.

Also remember if it was solely about the character's progress through life, then Peter would grow old and die. I guess I just don't care much for the marriage part of the character pprogress. Nowadays, many people don't have a strong desire to marry and have kids, birth rates are below replacement rate in many countries.