Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like Duggan would be much better at writing a solo Spider-Man book than he was heading the X-Books.

His Iron Man has been much more consistently well-received.

is Donny Cates back doing comics? I don't think he's officially returned to Marvel.
    It's gonna be Dan to make sure the ship stays sailing it's current course that's the assignment. No "campaign" or crying or flavor of the month book like USM will change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    It's gonna be Dan to make sure the ship stays sailing it's current course that's the assignment. No "campaign" or crying or flavor of the month book like USM will change that.
    If they don't have another writer lined up...

Fantastic Member Hurricane Billy's Avatar

is Donny Cates back doing comics? I don't think he's officially returned to Marvel.
    Nothing's been announced or published yet, IIRC, but I believe Cates has indicated on social media that he's started working again BTS. Could be wrong though!

Duggan might be a possible candidate too, I guess. I don't think Dan will be coming back for ASM though.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    I remember someone posted on reddit that they asked McKay about ASM at Comic Con and his answer was pretty much the same as Zdarsky's.
    I think this is a problem of expectations when people start pitching their fantasy creative team. As much as people want a back to basics, meat and potatoes run all indication is the next writer will also have to come in with a big long running myth arc styled-pitch.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Billy View Post
    Nothing's been announced or published yet, IIRC, but I believe Cates has indicated on social media that he's started working again BTS. Could be wrong though!

Duggan might be a possible candidate too, I guess. I don't think Dan will be coming back for ASM though.
    I can't imagine Cates wanting to jump into the blender that is twice-monthly ASM right away (or Marvel not wanting to give him some space to show he's recovered properly before giving him the flagship).

Dan has said he wouldn't do it again.

I don't have a super strong opinion on who *should* take it over (I'd definitely be in for PKJ or Cantwell w/o even knowing their pitch), but I have a medium-strong opinion that it'll probably be someone just coming off Krakoa Era X-Men or the Soule-era Star Wars books (or a similarly high profile run of some kind, e.g. PKJ on Action). Especially heading towards ASM 1000, they'll want someone that hits deadlines, works well in the crossover/event format, and has some "fresh off the hit [book]" juice.

My dark horse guess for who it will be is Alyssa Wong. She's already had a run on Deadpool (so they can gauge if she has the right quippy style for what they want) during Krakoa, wrote Aphra through multiple SW crossovers/events, and has a decently long list of writing credits in a short amount of time.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Hasn’t the man said multiple times that he couldn’t handle the schedule at his age?

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurus View Post
    Hasn’t the man said multiple times that he couldn’t handle the schedule at his age?
    Then it's one of the other writers who understand and will follow the assignment as instructed

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I think this is a problem of expectations when people start pitching their fantasy creative team. As much as people want a back to basics, meat and potatoes run all indication is the next writer will also have to come in with a big long running myth arc styled-pitch.
    And we saw how well that worked out for Spencer (setting aside editorial interference).

And we saw how well that worked out for Spencer (setting aside editorial interference).
    Nick Spencer did get 90+ issues to tell his story. I think problems at the end were more about his decisions than editors.

Slott's said that he doesn't want to do a twice-monthly Amazing Spider-Man.

But he might be willing to do a shorter run that culminates in #1,000. That is a big carrot.

I don't think Ewing is really interested in writing Spider-Man, to be honest. Though, I thought the same about Hickman, and look where we are.

I remember someone posted on reddit that they asked McKay about ASM at Comic Con and his answer was pretty much the same as Zdarsky's.
    That's certainly possible.

It is funny that some people who don't like the current direction may be scaring away the writers they would like by being jerks online and tolerating those who are.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    There are no more Editors, they went extinct a long time ago.
    Plenty of editors.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Chris Claremont or Neil Gaiman. Writers who can bring their previous work unto The Amazing Spider-Man, like the Morlocks, Captain Britain, and Angela...
    Interesting choices.

Very unlikely for different reasons.

Chris Claremont is in his 70s. The last few years seem to have been great for his reputation as a comics legend, but I think he's still seen as old-fashioned.

I don't see Neil Gaiman taking any monthly or twice-monthly title.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I don't think Ewing is really interested in writing Spider-Man, to be honest. Though, I thought the same about Hickman, and look where we are.
    To be fair, Hickman genuinely wasn't interested in writing Spider-Man until Zdarsky (who was Marvel's first choice) convinced him to write USM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Slott's said that he doesn't want to do a twice-monthly Amazing Spider-Man.

But he might be willing to do a shorter run that culminates in #1,000. That is a big carrot.
    This is my view, also.

Dan would by my pick to get Spidey to #1000. I almost feel like he deserves to get at least approached about the opportunity!

Do a short run that culminates into that issue and then the book resets with another new volume for the next creative team after 1000.

Spectacular Member

If they decide (or are forced) to go with a retread, many questions should arise.

To hell with “deserves” lol.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by logo449 View Post
    If they decide (or are forced) to go with a retread, many questions should arise.

Deserves to be presented the opportunity of writing a significant milestone based on his history and success with the character and title.

There is no question about that.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    This is my view, also.

Dan would by my pick to get Spidey to #1000. I almost feel like he deserves to get at least approached about the opportunity!

Do a short run that culminates into that issue and then the book resets with another new volume for the next creative team after 1000.
    Dan had his time on Amazing Spider-Man and wrote no less than three anniversary issues. A new creative team should have the honor of getting to write the 1000th issue.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by logo449 View Post

No one deserves it, but it is a wrinkle in the decision.

It would be a bit weird if Marvel hired someone low-profile with the assumption they would write Amazing Spider-Man #1,000.

Obviously there are a few years to go. If the person has a good run, it's a different consideration. At that point, they won't be an obscure writer who took over Amazing Spider-Man. They'll be an accomplished writer with at least two stories on the level of No One Dies, Spider-Island or Unscheduled Stop.

I think the main focus for Marvel should be and will be getting the best overall work on the series, as opposed to compromising on quality for years to maximize a particular milestone issue.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets