"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Creed has such a colorful way with words .

I'd take a therapy session with Doug to be honest. I'd probably come out of it a more sensible and self-aware person.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Creed has such a colorful way with words .

I'd take a therapy session with Doug to be honest. I'd probably come out of it a more sensible and self-aware person.
    I dunno. Krakoa Doug has shown quite a lack of self-awareness that ended up making things worse when acting like he knows best, first with letting Nature Girl and Curse out of the Pit and then by kicking Moira off of Krakoa with no actual support.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    I dunno. Krakoa Doug has shown quite a lack of self-awareness that ended up making things worse when acting like he knows best, first with letting Nature Girl and Curse out of the Pit and then by kicking Moira off of Krakoa with no actual support.
    Oh, I kind of forgot about that...maybe I'm blocking out the worst Krakoa stuff.

Final LaValle issue of this event. Looking forward to it!

Creed not recalling any names is actuallly very funny. Not sure if he even knows Logan's, at this point.

Astonishing Member

To be fair, I feel like Doug WAS set up to make big moves this era but they were hampered by the writers positioning him that way never being the ones to follow up with him. Like I do not think Hickman's original intention post-Inferno was for Moira to go full Orchis, and while I believe its been said there was always the plan for her to become an antagonist, just not in that way or to that extent....I'm just saying, if his plans for Moira had led to her being somewhere very different than Percy's Life/Death of Wolverine put her....Doug's choice to save her from Destiny & Mystique might not look so bad in hindsight, especially if there was some crucial role left for her to play in the end. Similarly, LaValle pretty clearly was not setting Doug up to be the bad guy or incompetent....the original nature of the Pit was pretty horrific - eternity spent in a dark hole, kept conscious but completely immobile - like, it could be argued he was just trying to soften the worst of the Quiet Council's shitty decisions as best he could, and yeah, his showing mercy on Creed backfired, but if he hadn't done that the Exiles would've arrived to a Pit that was just as bad in a different way - that eternal isolation unable to move or do anything but think - and he didn't pretend that shit hadn't gone sideways and was proactive about helping free the Exiles & send them after Creed with something designed to do something to stop him.

And then you've got Duggan and his use of Doug in X-Men Green, but like. There's no defending that from any angle, lol. Duggan's gonna Duggan. But its not hard to see Duggan coming up with that by just looking at how others had used Doug and trying to imitate the kind of approach they were taking with his characterization and choices, but since he's less....good...at the longterm plotting, or even remembering to make that a thing that he does (lol I'm such a bitch about Duggan), like, it probably never occurred to him to factor in how this would make Doug look in the longrun, especially as he continued to double down on making Nature Girl and Curse's antics worse and worse and had long since shifted the focus solely to them with Doug out of sight, out of mind for him as a consideration by then anyway.

So like, yeah Doug's made some choices that didn't play well in hindsight throughout this era and comes across as a schemer/trickster figure who's just flat out not good at it and keeps making things worse....but I chalk a lot of that up to the shifting of plans and the lack of coordination between the various writers who wrote him making his biggest moves. His choices were probably originally intended to be borne out as more clever than they ended up, or somehow necessary. But them's the breaks.

That doesn't mean that its not valid to call Doug incompetent or a poor planner whose best intentions just make things worse, given what actually ended up on the page. It just means I don't think that was ever supposed to be the takeaway for him & I am very curious slash wistful for the Doug storyline we more optimally might have gotten.

Then again, I've also heard Hickman once mentioned he planned for Doug to be the big villain and betray them all so who the fuck even knows what anything means or meant or was meant to mean. Ah, the Krakoan era: the period of X-Men comics that will always be remembered as much for everything that could've happened or ways things might've gone as it is for what actually did happen in it.

As the saying goes, the path to Hell is pathed in good intentions. After his incompetent screw-ups on Krakoa, never let Doug cook again.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

This looks good. I wanna find out how Kid Omeqga gets hid body back honestly. Nice to see fake Doug in this and real Doug in x-men Forever preview. Looks like it could be mainly a zvictor issue setting up the Wolverine Sabretooth fight in 50 just best guess lol.
    Last edited by berserkerclaw; 05-03-2024 at 01:34 AM.
    X-Men Forever