Hickman himself is better off writing sourcebooks instead of comics lol

Spectacular Member Galen Nycroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Caedus View Post
    Hickman himself is better off writing sourcebooks instead of comics lol
    As evidenced by the data pages?

Dark Lord of the Sith Darth_Caedus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Nycroft View Post
    As evidenced by the data pages?
    He's not a good comic book writer, that's all. He comes up with some interesting yet repeated ideas but almost always fails to fully realize them. His characters are soulless, have some weird dialogue and totally act out of character. He should be writing table top role-playing games.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

He's not a good comic book writer, that's all. He comes up with some interesting yet repeated ideas but almost always fails to fully realize them. His characters are soulless, have some weird dialogue and totally act out of character. He should be writing table top role-playing games.
    I can't really agree with this looking his ..... entire profile.

Not saying the man's perfect but I can't really agree with the idea he never realizes his ideas or his characters are soulless. Feels like the latter is more a stereotype/over-exaggeration of what actually occurs in his writing. Hell his Ultimate Spider-Man features a ton of character stuff, with the latest issue being entirely all about a compelling dinner conversation between 4 people.

Hickman's problems with Krakoa stems more so from being an architect. Unlike the rest of his runs, X-Men is unique in that he didn't have a run or main book writing. He was largely an idea guy putting pieces into places and setting up stuff, which creates an issue of being reliant on other writers of varying quality. The biggest missed opportunity with his X-Men tenure is that he didn't write a full ongoing that was the primary progression of the big storyline in the same way his Fantastic Four and Avengers run did.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I can't really agree with this looking his ..... entire profile.

Not saying the man's perfect but I can't really agree with the idea he never realizes his ideas or his characters are soulless. Feels like the latter is more a stereotype/over-exaggeration of what actually occurs in his writing. Hell his Ultimate Spider-Man features a ton of character stuff, with the latest issue being entirely all about a compelling dinner conversation between 4 people.

Hickman's problems with Krakoa stems more so from being an architect. Unlike the rest of his runs, X-Men is unique in that he didn't have a run or main book writing. He was largely an idea guy putting pieces into places and setting up stuff, which creates an issue of being reliant on other writers of varying quality. The biggest missed opportunity with his X-Men tenure is that he didn't write a full ongoing that was the primary progression of the big storyline in the same way his Fantastic Four and Avengers run did.
    As someone who loathed HoxPox and how treated he Cyclops, I wouldn't be feeling any different towards him had he actually gotten the chance to write a true ongoing series

Spectacular Member

It's crazy to not like Hickman. We never would have gotten that ultimate spiderman reboot.

On Topic: this is the last issue of the current Volume. Should have been double sized, but Duggan saving it for Uncanny 700.
    Last edited by Pantherflash; 05-02-2024 at 08:09 PM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

The issue I have with Hickman with regards to his X-Men output...is that there were just too many chef's in the kitchen at the same time doing their own dishes regardless of what the menu listed. (Why he left when he did). When he's the sole master chef his (non-x-men) meals are generally more satisfying like his GODS, USM, currently.

Duggan here is clearly just tying off loose threads while the major end-war is happening over in Rise and Fall and Uncanny 700 which is X-Men 35.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I'm so disheartened by the end of the Krakoan era that I don't even feel like I can properly critique it yet. It's certainly sloppy but its not all bad. I'm just surprised that the Dominion stuff is the interesting part, where in the HoX mini I found that aspect less so. I really wish Hickman could have written a four issue mini just to bookend it all. Duggan is going out in confusion and exhaustion - there are literally no stakes in this fight with Orchis but there have been some decent moments/beats. This issue is significantly enhanced by the artist. I was glad to see Caliban return to a normal appear and don't get how Forge got away with using him a vest.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

sometimes I see some takes online and I wonder to myself, "why do I do this to myself, I should go and touch grass."

Everyone is entitled to have their own opinions. You can enjoy his work, good for you. I hated what he did to Cyke and the X-Men mythos.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

This turning Charles into a villain has almost become a trope now and feels extremely forced in this case. At least with stuff like Danger and the Deadly Genesis there was intent, build-up, it felt earned, if this distasteful. Now it feels more like the writers want to force a certain narrative no matter how little sense it might make.