Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Monica was not unknown.
    She was in first captain marvel movie and flashbacks were shown in the marvels as well.

​​So box office--fall guy is not doing as well as they hoped. Some are calling it this years D&D with great reviews but not as good box office. Star wars is overperforming!

Tarot is a dud but only cost $8m to make. Dragonkeeper is not getting any buzz. No word on how spirited away is doing.

Here we go-

Summer movie season starts--with a stumble as fall guy way underperforms even with great audience reviews $28.5M. That would not be bad, but this movie was pretty pricy to make so it needs legs to do well, and some pesky apes are coming up next.

While it was projected to do at least $30M, and it’s coming in at $28.5M, this is the range for original action comedies, even when they star Ryan Gosling. PostTrak exits report he’s 50% of the reason why people went to see the movie (versus 35% for Emily Blunt). Pic took in $25.4M from offshore marketings raising its foreign gross to $36.9M, global to $65.4M.

The opening for Fall Guy is actually on the higher end of Gosling starts, ranked third after anomaly Barbie ($162M) and Blade Runner 2049 ($32.7M), yet further down on Blunt’s. It’s the ninth-best opening of her career stateside, short of Edge of Tomorrow ($28.7M) and Jungle Cruise ($35M with an asterisk – it did have a theatrical day-and-date PVOD on Disney+).

Star wars overperforms beating challengers for second!

2.) Star Wars The Phantom Menace (20th) 2,700 theaters, Fri $2.4M, Sat $4.6M Sun $1M 3-day $8.1M, Total lifetime $482.6M/Wk 1 re-release
    Saturday May the 4th pushed this re-release’s gross higher. In addition, there were $300K in the mix from marathon screenings. A four minute special of Disney+’s The Acolyte was attached to the movie. All in, a $14.5M global weekend. So not part of Disney’s marketing for the trailer, has anyone caught the fan-made AI 1950s Panavision inspired trailers of the Star Wars movies? Here’s Phantom Menace. Freaky deaky:
    Challengers gets third.

Tarot scares in 4th but only cost $8m to make.

With 8% Rotten Tomatoes critical reviews and 52% audience scores, as well as C- CinemaScore and 59% PostTrak on Sony/Screen Gems’ Tarot, you didn’t need a psychic to see that the Culver City lot wasn’t going to spend one more dime in marketing this movie. Hence the $6.5M opening here on this single-digit budgeted title. The PG-13 movie is 52% female leaning, with 18-34 year old repping 67% of the audience. Those 18-24 were the biggest demo at 40%. Diversity demos were 38% Latino and Hispanic, 30% Caucasian, 16% Black, 9% Asian, and 7% other. Tarot‘s best regions are the South, South Central, and Midwest, with the Cinemark Rialto the highest grossing location so far with close to $6K (eek).
    Kong and cw round out top 5.

Dragonkeeper with no ads big shock did bad as no one knew it existed! What a shock.

Viva’s Dragonkeeper in Spanish and English opened in 760 theaters with meh grosses for what’s looking like $429K for the weekend. The animated indie kids film is set in ancient China and follows a young girl who must find the last remaining dragon egg and fulfill her destiny.
    A24’s I Saw the TV Glow from Jane Schoenbrun, about two teenagers who bond over a supernatural TV show, but then it’s mysteriously cancelled, did some good numbers with $54K Friday, $34,6K Saturday from AMC Lincoln Square, Angelika NY, AMC Burbank, and AMC Grove in what’s shaping up to be a $116,3K 3-day, or $29K per theater. Muy bien. Critics love it at 88% certified fresh.
    No word on what spirited away did.

Note ghostbusters and the vampire girl fall to bottom top 10. So does panda but it already made half a billion.

8.) Kung Fu Panda 4 (Uni) 2,380 (-387) theaters, Fri $520K (-38%) Sat $1.1M Sun $740K 3-day $2.4M (-38%), Total $188.3M/Wk 9

9.) Abigail (Uni) 2,638 (-755) theatres, Fri $690K, Sat $1M Sun $600K 3-day $2.3M (-56%)/Total $22.7M/Wk 3

10.) Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (Sony) 2,025 (-602) theaters, Fri $405K (-49%) Sat $865K Sun $530K 3-day $1.8M (-45%), Total $109.9M/Wk 7
    https://deadline.com/2024/05/box-off...ng-1235903586/

Next week fall guy will have to watch out for a planet of apes and fight off lost soulz, the new gundam movie and steel Magnolis rerelease in a slow release week.

Garfield off to a great start overseas.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...c0c7fa487&ei=9

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

According to this , people in studios are questioning why Universal pumped so much money into Fall Guy. As the article claims one studio executive claims Universal could have made this film for $80+ million and instead pumped over $130-150+ million into production. Then add marketing costs over that and its over $220+ million.

https://deadline.com/2024/05/box-off...ng-1235903586/
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member

Its weird how some movies just dont hit for whatever reason. I personally dont care about Fall Guy but I would have thought everything was lining up for it to be at least a decent hit.

Popular Actor coming off big movie- Check
    Good Reviews- Check
    No competition- Check

Apparently not.

Astonishing Member

I'll try to catch The Fall Guy because it looks fun and the mains are likeable. I know the movie is based on a TV show I didn't watch but the trailer gave me Zoolander vibes. That movie did barely twice its budget but it was 2001 and the industry was different then. I suspect the budget devil is going to strike again.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Its weird how some movies just dont hit for whatever reason. I personally dont care about Fall Guy but I would have thought everything was lining up for it to be at least a decent hit.

Good Reviews- Check
    No competition- Check

Apparently not.
    I haven't seen many good reviews of it.

I haven't seen many bad reviews, either.

It seems to be sitting at okay.

The few positives I read said Gosling saves a messy movie.

I also see it has the alt-right crowd making noise about it.
    "When you've got so much to say, it's called gratitude /
    And that's right."
    -- Beastie Boys

Welcome to the billion club phantom menace.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...6b14d58f&ei=12

Extraordinary Member

Is he that popular? Barbie and La La Land are from what it looks the only movies he has been in that really made block buster level money.

Extraordinary Member

All right, this isn't about box office for a movie, but it's...adjacent, and this seems the best place for it.....so anyway, Madonna gave a free concert in Rio, which was attended by an estimated 1.6 million people, said to be the largest attendance for any concert ever. I have no idea about that, so I won't dispute that claim, but I've seen the video, and to me it seemed the biggest crowd I've ever seen, so maybe.

It was free, and she performed all her biggest hits according to reports, so I can see it.

Ultimate Member

Good Reviews- Check
    No competition- Check

Apparently not.
    It's surprising.

I haven't been following the box office lately (was waiting until summer) but Fall Guy's performance is unfortunate.

It's a well-reviewed tentpole movie so I expected people to turn up. The first weekend of May is normally massive and has been for as long as I can remember. This weekend was so bad that the Phantom Menace re-release is number 2.

I hope this summer picks up fast. Despite people online "screeching" about big blockbusters, the theatre chains depend on them and if they don't do well, they are going to struggle. https://variety.com/2024/film/featur...rn-1235951078/

Honestly, I don't have any quick solutions to the challenges to the industry. Movies going viral like Barbie or Oppenheimer and exploding the way they did isn't something that studios can engineer, and the theatres need a lot of successful tentpoles to keep things successful, not just a handful.
    Last edited by Username taken; 05-06-2024 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    It's surprising.

I haven't been following the box office lately (was waiting until summer) but Fall Guy's performance is unfortunate.

It's a well-reviewed tentpole movie so I expected people to turn up. The first weekend of May is normally massive and has been for as long as I can remember. This weekend was so bad that the Phantom Menace re-release is number 2.

I hope this summer picks up fast. Despite people online "screeching" about big blockbusters, the theatre chains depend on them and if they don't do well, they are going to struggle. https://variety.com/2024/film/featur...rn-1235951078/

Honestly, I don't have any quick solutions to the challenges to the industry. Movies going viral like Barbie or Oppenheimer and exploding the way they did isn't something that studios can engineer, and the theatres need a lot of successful tentpoles to keep things successful, not just a handful.
    My library gets a copy of the new movies on DVD before I realize they were out of the theater, much less premiering in it.

Streaming is wonderful and all but quick turnaround time (6 weeks for most now) really hurts theaters IMHO.
    "When you've got so much to say, it's called gratitude /
    And that's right."
    -- Beastie Boys

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    My library gets a copy of the new movies on DVD before I realize they were out of the theater, much less premiering in it.

Streaming is wonderful and all but quick turnaround time (6 weeks for most now) really hurts theaters IMHO.
    Yeah, it's conditioned a lot of people to simply wait for them on streaming.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Welcome to the billion club phantom menace.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...6b14d58f&ei=12
    Does anyone here remember the sheer amount of hype around The Phantom Menace in 1999?

I believe the trailer of The Phantom Menace alone turned a movie (i can't remember which one) into a hit because so many people were just coming to watch the preview. Heck, I think there were estimates that the economy lost about $300 million in productivity due to people taking time off to see the film.

I mean, people hated the movie so much that they watched it over and over and over again. LOLOLOL.