View Poll Results: Is Comic Book Movie Fatigue Happening?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I think Audiences Are Finally Getting Tired Of These Movies

57 45.24%
  • No - This has been wildly exaggerated

47 37.30%
  • Too Early To Say Either Way

22 17.46%
Page 74 of 77 FirstFirst ... 24647071727374757677 LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1142
    Extraordinary Member

‘Avengers’ Directors Say Marvel’s Recent Problems Aren’t Due to Superhero Fatigue but a ‘Big Generational Divide About How You Consume Media’
    https://variety.com/2024/film/news/a...ue-1235985270/

Avengers: Endgame directors say they don't believe in superhero fatigue and that the MCU's current problems are part of a "generational divide"
    https://www.gamesradar.com/russo-bro...ure-exclusive/

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    ‘Avengers’ Directors Say Marvel’s Recent Problems Aren’t Due to Superhero Fatigue but a ‘Big Generational Divide About How You Consume Media’
    https://variety.com/2024/film/news/a...ue-1235985270/

Avengers: Endgame directors say they don't believe in superhero fatigue and that the MCU's current problems are part of a "generational divide"
    https://www.gamesradar.com/russo-bro...ure-exclusive/
    I don't buy that for a second. Avengers Infinity War was praised by all generations.

Endgame closed a chapter on a high note. Super-Hero Movies were dying after that because Marvel opened the gates up with a crap ton of movies/shows thinking quantity will make up for quality. Many people lost interest.

Mark my word Deadpool is probably going to hit the billion dollar mark. Overall the story looks stable enough. The nostalgic Wolverine Fans and tons of violence will bring my generation in. And all these rumors of Taylor Swift releasing a new song and appearing in the movie will draw in the swifties.

Honestly, even I'm losing interest in most Super Hero Flicks. Every Generation had its fad. Mine had the action stars/slasher flicks. The generation before mine had the cowboys. This generation had the super heroes, but this fad has been over 20 years now but I blame that on a severe lack of original story-telling from Today's Hollywood. Its remake after remake these days.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 04-29-2024 at 07:15 PM.

What are they going to have 10-second movies now? That article sounds a lot like much ado about nothing and making excuses for poor performance at the box office. The best movies still make money and, of the past ten super hero flicks, most have made money or at least broke even. The problem is that the DCEU just died and the MCU has lacked a detectable overall direction for a couple of years.

The movies of the past year or two have felt a bit like treading water. Dynamic, in that there is action, but static in that they aren't going anywhere. Kang was a somewhere until maybe he isn't now.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I'm usually late to get in on a media fad and usually the first to lose interest in it, so I myself have had superhero fatigue for maybe 10 years.

If superhero is fatigue is finally happening, god willing, and I increasingly suspect it is, then Disney and WB need only blame themselves.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Fatigue? No. Just a lack of good movies/stories coming out. They rushed to get stuff out and put out bad stuff. Turned casual fans off and now we are here...
    Plus people want to be a part of a trend hence BarbiHeimer. It helped that they were two good movies that kept the buzz going and it was lightning in a bottle
    Avengers didn't happen overnight, it took YEARS of pretty good story telling as well as buzz to get to Endgame...

There is fatigue across the board with big Hollywood movies, and superheroes are not immune. It doesn't help that there is nothing expressive or unique coming out from that genre lately. Just the same flat, boring, muted corporate schlock. Of course people are going to get tired of it
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

When you look at pop culture history you'll see that it's always a temporary thing when the entire industry bends to one genre. Superhero movies and shows are here to stay, but the days of 6 or 7 or 8 movies and twice as many shows every year? That's probably over.

Look at it this way; James Bond became a phenomenon in the '60s and there were tons of knock-offs, parodies, more grounded and serious takes on espionage (in response to Bond inspired outlandish takes) and tons of shows and books. We no longer have the same saturation, but we still get a Bond and Mission: Impossible movie every few years!

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

And the last Mission Impossible film, #7 Dead Reckoning part 1, underperformed or at least vs budget/marketing costs I kept hearing.

Is that still the analysis almost a year later?
    US-$172m
    Global-$394
    Total-$566 million
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

I think a lot of it is that, once you've watched the big grand ultimate finale to a long series (Avengers Endgame), you don't want to have a sequel that starts with: the next day and almost completely unrelated...

It's like these ridiculous attempts to do sequels or prequels to the Lord of the Rings. The Hobbit was the prequel. The Silmarillion is the history. It's over. Done. Wait a while and reread it.

That is not to say a good movie won't hit it big. Look at "No Way Home". Deadpool 3 will almost certainly be huge because it will almost certainly be really good. If they can get a new buildup with a new story, we might still have something. But, so far, that has happened only sporadically when they get an occasional good movie anyone cares about.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    When you look at pop culture history you'll see that it's always a temporary thing when the entire industry bends to one genre. Superhero movies and shows are here to stay, but the days of 6 or 7 or 8 movies and twice as many shows every year? That's probably over.

Look at it this way; James Bond became a phenomenon in the '60s and there were tons of knock-offs, parodies, more grounded and serious takes on espionage (in response to Bond inspired outlandish takes) and tons of shows and books. We no longer have the same saturation, but we still get a Bond and Mission: Impossible movie every few years!

Bond itself kind of largely took on some trends from other film series a bit during it's time as well. The Roger Moore movies are probably the best example of this (Especially Moonraker which delayed another Bond film just to get in on the Star Wars hype), but it's noticeable in the eras that followed; Craig's Bond in particular is often compared to Jason Bourne.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Amazing Member

Fatigue for casual fans but for fan boys maybe not. Fanboys have the higher tolerance because they deal with this everyday. But movies, tv, and cartoons are really made for casual viewers. We may watch too but studios make their big money with casuals because there are more of them than us. So movies, etc. are constructed for them. Also Marvel did what it always does when something is successful. They make a ton of material and try to crowd everyone else out. As fanboys were used to it. Because Marvel used the same strategy on the newstands. But the casuals aren’t so they get bored quicker. Remember, there are more of them than us. To the studios they make their billion dollars with the not us.

I hope the fatigue won't affect the upcoming new Captain America movie.

Boisterously Confused

This comment is purely Marvel-centric.

Rewatching Endgame the other day, I began to wonder if Marvel did too good a job with phases I-III (The Infinity Saga). They gave a lot of casual fans a handy, quite reasonable off-ramp.

I have not cared to watch the Deadpool 3 trailer. Looks like I am still fatigued of comic book movies eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    I hope the fatigue won't affect the upcoming new Captain America movie.
    The movie looks kind of bad cinematic wise, like it was made for TV.